Increasing Weekly Mileage

Options
_Waffle_
_Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
I've been slacking the last couple months just to get 100% healthy, vacations, lazy, etc. It shouldn't be a big deal for me to step back up to 30 - 35 mpw right away should it? I've been doing 12 - 24 pretty much every week even when I'm being lazy. I should mention I'm being a baby about the heat/humidity and doing miles on the treadmill right now so this is 100% easy running with zero speed work. I just want to get my base back up to 40 - 50 miles per week by the time I start a marathon plan in the fall.

I did a full marathon in December and in April and I was doing 50 mpw the first few months this year. It just feels odd to only add in 10% per week. Just adding 2 miles to a 20 - 24 mile week seems like it's a bit too reserved. My daily run is typically 6 - 8 miles so adding a couple days can take it from 24 to 36 right away.

My initial idea was to get it leveled off at about 30 - 36 (5 - 6 runs) and then start adding miles back in one of the weekend days and extending the long run and perphaps a couple daily runs till I'm at about 40 - 50 mpw. That's always been pretty comfortable for me. The treadmill is much easier too. I suppose I need to start adding in days outside again but that's for future worries.

Too long didn't read. Adding a couple more runs per week and jumping from 24 - 36 shouldn't be a big deal right?

Replies

• litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it'll be fine - it's not like you're a new runner and you're used to higher miles than this. Just take an extra rest day if you're feeling tired.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    The 10% rule is more for new runners, or runners heading into uncharted territory. If you're working your way back towards your old mileage you can probably do some bigger jumps.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Once you've been there, you don't need to go back up as gradually. Take bigger steps, but listen to your body and take a cut back week every 3rd or 4th week.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Are you asking for permission...or forgiveness? o:)
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I think you'll be fine. I barely ran for 3 weeks after my last marathon in May (like 13 mile weeks, yay for being sick!) and then started back up at 33 4 weeks ago and did per week: 33, 33, 40, 45, and I will be running 50 miles this week. Now that I'm getting into unfamiliar mileage territory, I'm going up by 4-5 miles (so ~10% per week), but I think you could jump from your current 12-24 right to 30 and go up 5-6 miles a week til you get to your desired mileage since that's close to (see also: less than) what you were running before!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response everyone. Other than losing a seam in my compression shorts and taking off a chunk of skin I feel great but I was wanting to double check with the experts here. Stuck with 6 again this morning even though I felt like doing 7.
    Are you asking for permission...or forgiveness? o:)

Forgiveness of course. :smile:
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I changed my training plan last night thanks to this thread. :smiley:
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I agree that there is likely some memory in your cells that will allow you to make the transition quicker than a newby. I would caution against adding too much quality in too soon. taking 6 weeks off in the hottest summer months is not considered slacking.. It is considered recovery and listening to your body

Lots of lifelong runners will testify that their PR training cycles didn't come back to back but followed a period of rest.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking. I am also building back miles after I had to slow down a bit from a glute and hamstring issue I was dealing with.