Weekend 1 - Videos 1 & 2. Ease Into It and Sooth and Smooth

slimzandra
slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
edited July 2015 in Social Groups
I started getting emails from Adriene, and received the first two video links. I'm going to actually sit down with them on Saturday and Sunday morning. I would like to read your posts about your thoughts and comments about the first two videos and how the weekend went.

A new word of the day for me is Savasana. Also- Shavasana.
It seems like Adriene will most likely end her sessions with that pose.
Also known as Final Relaxation or Corpse Pose. I rather prefer Final Relaxation, a resting pose. I think I can do that, with the exception of me more like this:

6awc7rk3jtql.jpg

Here's some more information about Savasana

Benefits: Allows the body time to process information at the end of a class.
Even though Savasana is a resting pose, it’s not the same a sleeping! (or mentally organizing your to do list.) You should stay present and aware during the five to ten minute duration of final relaxation.

Instructions:

1. Come to lie down on the back.

2. Let the feet fall out to either side.

3. Bring the arms alongside the body, but slightly separated from the body, and turn the palms to face upwards.

4. Relax the whole body, including the face. Let the body feel heavy.

5. Let the breath occur naturally.

6. To come out, first begin to the deepen the breath. Then move the fingers and toes, awakening the body.

7. Bring the knees into the chest and roll over to one side, keep the eyes closed.

8. Slowly bring yourself back up into a sitting position.

One suggestion is that if you have a bad back or lower back issues you can use a round bolster or tube pillow, or rolled blanket during savasana to make this pose more comfortable and relaxing. Just bend your knees slightly and slide the bolster underneath before lying down on your back. Having the knees lifted allows the low back to release. I'm down with that!

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    We used to do that at the end of the yoga class I took years ago. It was the most relaxing thing ever, I still remember my sister in law nudging me because I began to snore :blush: but I wasn't asleep, just deeply deeply relaxed, I could still hear everything the instructor was saying, your mind just goes blank. I think I'm going to try this program tonight. I signed up for the videos but haven't gotten any emails yet.
  • jess1jane
    jess1jane Posts: 176 Member
    I just did Day 1. It was a nice balance of basic moves plus some difficult strength training and lots of relaxing and mindful breathing. I can't wait for Day 2.
  • auntstephie321
    jess1jane wrote: »
    I just did Day 1. It was a nice balance of basic moves plus some difficult strength training and lots of relaxing and mindful breathing. I can't wait for Day 2.

I did day two yesterday, I was surprised how much harder it was than day one, a lot more challenging, can't wait for day 3
  • slimzandra
    I just finished Day 1. My plan was to do it first thing this morning, but I ended up going for a walk instead, then errands, then dinner.. Well finally at 8pm. I started. I'm actually thinking I like doing this in the evening. I feel pretty relaxed right now.

So, my takeaway was that I think I must have really short arms and the one major thing I noticed from the last time I tried this was my huge belly! ARG. (where did that come from?) It's like I have a spare tire, especially bending and touching the floor. Well not for long. Still it kinda brought into focus what a difference the extra weight makes.

I also noticed a lot of neck cracking and I did work up a sweat. Lifting the knees while doing the Table pose and the plank moves were harder than I thought they would be. I laughed a lot, mostly at myself not being as fluid as I'd like. I think it should get better, it's been too long since I've had some good stretching. I'm happy I'm doing this. My gym has a yoga class. I think I might join after the 30 days. For now, I think just getting my body flexible again will be a huge accomplishment. In HS I was a gymnast, I was flexible and strong at one point, so it's in there someplace. I noticed how tight my hamstrings are, but even after the second stretch I think I saw some improvement. Yea!!

I did like the mix of strength and stretching. I think this is certainly do-able! I'll check in tomorrow. Nice job everyone.
  • auntstephie321
    I've noticed a good difference in flexibility gettin day one to day three and a lot less cracking in my neck
  • jess1jane
    jess1jane Posts: 176 Member
    I did Day 2 this morning. I noticed a difference in the difficulty immediately. But I pushed my body through the strength poses. I think the flexibility poses are my biggest weaknesses but hopefully those will improve over the 30 days. I am blessed not to have a mental block on strength poses and Adrienne really put it into words for me when she said in the Day 1 video that the mind quits before the muscles do. Now if only my ligaments would just join the program and loosen up. I feel so pathetic on forward folds. I really have to bend my knees to touch the floor. Goal for this program: be able to touch the floor with my fingertips without having to bend my knees.
  • slimzandra
    Just Did Day 2 tonight. Yea, I hope this doesn't get too progressively difficult. I want to be able to keep up and not get discouraged. Worst case, maybe I'll just do Day 1 for 30 days. LOL…Hey, At least I'm giving it a go. I just love the stretching. I'm not so sure about the mind quitting, before the body. LOL She wasn't talking about my old body. My arms are literally shaking and my shoulders are burning! And I've got the weird stitch in my side. OK.. That's enough complaining.

I'm going to focus on the positive.. Let's see.. I bought new yoga pants and they are super comfy, and my butt looks good in them! There's a happy thought. Good Night.
  • auntstephie321
    Since I'm a couple days ahead from jumping the gun on this challenge lol. I know days 3 and 4 are not as difficult as two was. And I've noticed the stretches getting a lot easier already, its almost effortless to get my heels to the ground in down dog now. I especially liked the stretches in day 4

I took that mind quitting before the body to heart, I think about it the whole time I'm doing my plank challenge.
  • m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    My yoga instructor said that some people never get their heels to the ground on downward dog and that's completely ok. For some reason that thought has helped me a lot with all of the poses. It depends on the person though on how that might be perceived. For me, it means I should keep going and trying as hard as I can and maybe someday I will get there but if I don't, that doesn't mean I can't do this.
  • slimzandra
    "For me, it means I should keep going and trying as hard as I can and maybe someday I will get there but if I don't, that doesn't mean I can't do this."

Ditto this and 2 thumbs up!!!