Healthier meals - what is your favourite family healthy meal?

Options
KylieAbecca
KylieAbecca Posts: 5 Member
ive been trying for a baby for 11 years now. The doctor has told me if I lose 20 more kilos I can get fertility treatment. I have lost 1.4 kilos so far (in two weeks), so I still have a long way to go. I am a uni student doing a double major in Psychology and English Literature, so I don't have a lot of time for exercise etc, but have taken to using the wii fit on a daily basis. My worst flaw is my love of cooking large, creamy, fatty meals and am hoping to gain new skills in the kitchen to make healthier meals that my partner will still enjoy. Any tips or ideas? What are your favourite recipes?

Replies

• geekysciencenerd
    geekysciencenerd Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I came across this really awesome cookbook called "Saving Dinner the Low-Carb Way" (http://www.amazon.com/Saving-Dinner-Low-Carb-Way-Shopping/dp/0345478061) and I absolutely love it! I've done a lot of research that says eating a low-carb diet can help restore ovulation and reduce symptoms of PCOS. What I love about this book is that the food tastes absolutely great, leaves you feeling completely satisfied, and is super quick and easy. I am a high school science teacher, so I completely understand the no-time factor and I'm telling you, this book is AWESOME! It also plans 6 meals per week by season for 6 weeks (24 weeks total) and gives you the grocery list for each week, so all you have to do is buy the weekly groceries and you have everything you need for the week, including side dishes. It doesn't use any really crazy foods that you can't find at the grocery store either. I can't rave about this book enough because it has really helped make my lifestyle much healthier and even though I haven't lost that much weight, (dang PCOS!) I feel SOOOOOO much better.
  • geekysciencenerd
    geekysciencenerd Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Oh and if you aren't interested in the low-carb book, she has other books with the same menu-planner/grocery list format at her website. (http://savingdinner.com/) I can honestly say I was a carb-o-holic and couldn't survive without bread before I had this book, but now I don't even notice that I'm not eating carbs because the recipes are just so good.
  • BurnsieBaby
    BurnsieBaby Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I found meal prepping on Sunday REALLY helpful. I make my lunches and breakfasts for the week. (Overnight Oats and Salads with lean proteins likes chicken).

I went to see a nutritionist this fall and she suggest I just follow the Canada Food Guide. Basically making sure I'm getting lots of every food group, just avoid sugary options like juices and too many sugary fruits like pineapple and bananas. Match your proteins with your carbs so that your body processes them in a slower manner so that your sugars don't spike.

For suppers I try to make lean meats, if I do potatoes, try sweet potatoes and a large portion of vegetables. There's lots of ways to prepare delicious meals without being super bad for you.

And watch your portions! I tend to have big plates of food at supper and not burn it off. Hope this helps!