Shakeology

Options
mscote12
mscote12 Posts: 220 Member
Hey all...I am debating on trying shakeology. I am finishing my first round of the 21 day fix tomorrow in which I did not partake on the shakeology option.
I will most likely do another round..but am wondering if results would differ with the shakeology. It is SO expensive so I won't buy a bag yet, but I am looking at a sampler pack that would last me a week...

Anyway, anyone have any thoughts on Shakeology....?

Replies

• jpkrueger
    jpkrueger Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Hi, full disclosure I am a coach. Many coaches will tell you that you can only lose weight with Shakeology. I don't agree - to me, it's just another tool for the arsenal and does not have magical powers. That said, I drink it every day - I use it for my morning snack mixed with a half a banana so it's one red and one purple. It keeps me full for a few hours. And, I find it kills my sweet cravings for the day - it's my "treat" and then I'm fine going without chocolate or something sweet for the rest of the day. I also find it gives me more energy...I almost never feel like I need coffee anymore, and most days I skip my coffee (not that coffee is a bad thing - but I find that interesting). Finally, I love that it's so healthy and full of vitamins and I don't have to bother with a multivitamin.

So, I think it's worth trying to see if you will like the benefits. The sampler packs are great because you can try all the flavors. If you do decide to buy a whole bag, make sure you sign up for HD (Home Direct) because then you only pay $2 for shipping which is a lot less than the one-time amount. You can cancel at anytime so it's not a risk. Last thing, Beachbody has a "bottom of the bag" guarantee which means if you don't like it, you will get your money back, even if you've finished the bag. Check on the timeframe for this though, it might be 30 days. But hopefully you would like it so you wouldn't have to do that.

Hope this helps!
  • SatiaRenee
    SatiaRenee Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Alternately, you can google "shakeology alternatives" and find similar products that don't cost as much. Some of these alternative meal replacement shakes also have samples you can buy to "taste drive," as it were. Also, bear in mind that not all vitamins and/or minerals are water soluble and those that aren't can and will build up in your system if they are not absorbed. It is always a good idea to take a week off any supplement once a month to ensure that your body has a chance to catch up with what you are consuming. You can, of course, continue taking water soluble supplements but an all-inclusive supplement like Shakeology or a multi-vitamin doesn't allow you to do that easily.

I would also suggest printing the nutrition label (which you can find online easily enough) and seeing what your physician says. My husband's doctor might give me the okay to use Shakeology but she's been very clear that it is not healthy or good for Rob. And never ever forget that supplements are meant to supplement a diet. The more balanced and healthy your diet, the less you'll need to rely on supplements, whether its a pill you pop or a shake you drink.
  • rainey4
    rainey4 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Being in Bermuda, Shakeology is too expensive to import. I just use what we buy for the office.
  • Jenni_MFP
    Jenni_MFP Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I couldn't bring myself to pay for shakeology, and most days I get enough protein in that I don't need it. But when I do need a protein supplement, I really like vega one! It's one of those "super powders" too. Getting used to the taste of plant protein takes a few days, but i love that there is no soy or lactose in it.
  • zoe894
    zoe894 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you take any medications, check the ingredients to make sure they don't interfere with your medications. I did research beforehand and discovered that one of the ingredients causes my thyroid medicine to be less effective.
  • mrsmuckster
    mrsmuckster Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    zoe894 wrote: »
    If you take any medications, check the ingredients to make sure they don't interfere with your medications. I did research beforehand and discovered that one of the ingredients causes my thyroid medicine to be less effective.

Which one of the ingredients makes thyroid to be less effective? I've been taking it and with may last thyroid test, my doctor increased my thyroid med.
  • SatiaRenee
    SatiaRenee Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have found a good Shakeology substitute that has fewer carbs (necessary for him) and more protein. Sprouts Farmers Market has a "store brand" meal replacement shake which is pretty much on par with Shakeology. And it tastes GREAT! The strawberry is, in our opinion, super sweet but I think that could be toned down a bit. Anyway, it has the same amino acid breakdown. Yes, some are less than Shakeology (Alanine, Crystine) but others are more (Arginine, Aspartic Acid).

Better still, they aren't loaded with lots of vitamins, unlike Shakeology. I prefer to control my vitamin intake, including taking a week off so my body can absorb some of the non-water-soluble supplements that can and will build up in the body. We both take a "vitamin cocktail." Mine includes D3 and calcium (because of my osteoarthritis) and his has cinnamon and muscle recovery (because of his diabetes and how hard he's pushing his muscles).

Anyway, I loved that Sprouts offered samples of their meal replacement shakes. BTW, they offer samples of other shakes, including Raw Meal. Definitely worth checking out if there's a Sprouts in your area.