Surgery Date Set, New Food Plan Started - Friends Anyone?

Options
Hi Everyone - My name is Anita and I've been overweight since pregnancy - unfortunately, that was 23 years ago, so my track record on weight loss hasn't been stellar. I have my sleeve booked for September 10th and will be heading down to Mexico for the surgery. I didn't qualify through insurance, so this will be fully out of pocket. I've found a great doctor with a stellar reputation and think this will be a good move for me.

I'm 5'9" tall and my highest weight was 235 about 10 years ago. I've been running between 205-215 for the past few years, and although I've gotten down to 190 there hasn't been any long-term success.

I set August 1st as my day to begin my preop diet and very regular exercise program. I bought a fit bit, went to the gym and got back into the Couch to 5K program, and ate well today - I'm feeling committed and psyched (okay, and hungry).

A very cool thing is that a good friend of mine that lives out of state will be having surgery on the same day. I would very much like to have some MFP friends who understand the sleeve process and how it's not the "easy" way out. Please send a friend request if you have room on your feed for another person.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your stories - it's so inspirational :) - Anita

Replies

• klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Hi and congrats on your journey! I was sleeved in September 2014. Feel free to add me and keep us posted on your surgery.
  • GalgoMomAnita
    GalgoMomAnita Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks KL! Hoping to see a little more interest here :smile:
  • jillcwatson1
    jillcwatson1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I am nearly 13 weeks out from my VSG. I am 5'11" and my HW was 366. I am down now to CW288. My doctor said I am doing fine...to expect a 1-2 lb. per week loss. I had hoped to be further than that by now. Since "everyone is different" (a phrase I am sick of hearing despite the fact it's true) you have to be patient and not compare your losses with those of others. I know that I have never been able to lose this much this quickly before and have to be content with that. In the past, I managed to lose 35 lbs over the course of a year, so this loss is amazing in contrast. Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like. I am working at developing those good healthy habits and appreciate having a tall friend, as some of my thinking is bound into the "your tall, and so you carry it differently" mind set. I wish you much success with your upcoming surgery.
  • GalgoMomAnita
    Options
    Hi Jill! Wouldn't it be fun if instead we heard, "Well everyone is different - that's the reason you're losing weight quicker than others and your skin is less saggy." :p It's definitely an advantage to be tall, and having a chest helps hide the weight too as it makes things look more 'hour glassy'. I will definitely send a friend request your way. It sound's like you're doing wonderfully since May! :)
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I'm nearly 4 months out and am 55lbs down in that time. I was 241 the day I walked into surgery, and 189 as of this morning.. So far not too much saggy skin, but we'll see how the last 40lbs I hope to lose shake out. Things are different this time than they were the last time I was at this weight 12 years ago, but it has been 12 years of obesity and a twin pregnancy in that time, so I'd be foolish to think it will all go back to my 20 year self ;)

Do as much as you can preop, and start forming your habits of vitamins, protein, water, and exercise now. Feel free to add me as a friend as well :)
  • kgf1374
    kgf1374 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi! I had the sleeve done June 2. I am 5'10" and weighed 299 before surgery. Currently sitting at 253. I have been overweight since having children, having had my first child very young. Congrats on your upcoming surgery, I'm so glad I did it and I just say to myself, "Haters gonna Hate" no matter what you do! :wink: It's usually the people that are also overweight that give me attitude about my surgery. The skinny minis always congratulate me on my decision. Go figure. Feel free to add me as a friend. We can all use the encouragement! Anyone can add me for that matter!
  • GalgoMomAnita
    Options
    Sinderstorm, I already know you're a strong woman to survive a pregnancy with twins. I'm working hard all of those habits you've listed. I really need work to quit getting in the way of my exercise plans. I knew that was going to be a challenge going into this, though.
    KGF, it is funny how the people who are overweight tend to be more judgmental than those that are at a standard weight.
    I only know one person in 'real life' that's had a sleeve and she looks amazing and is very happy with the decision. Thanks both for your offer to friend!
  • sinderstorm
    Options
    @GalgoMomAnita The best (and probably most foolish) thing I did was it worked out that we got a 4 month old German Shepherd puppy the week after my surgery. He's great motivation to get me to get my sneakers on and get moving, because he nags me and gets into puppy mischief until I do. Exercise doesn't come easily for me, but at some point every day he NEEDS his walk, and so I get one too.
  • GalgoMomAnita
    Options
    Awwww! I love German Shepherds - I had a beautiful girl many years back and she was the sweetest thing :)
  • johnlatte
    johnlatte Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    add me, I am almost 3 years post op. Have learned a lot and will help anyone that I can.
  • GalgoMomAnita
    Options
    Thanks John - experience is a great thing :)
  • pennysteed
    pennysteed Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am approaching my 4 week post-surgery mark. Feel free to add me as a friend. I am always making comments on my status. So far, the people who know that I have had the surgery have been really supportive, and I am not regretting my decision.
  • GalgoMomAnita
    Options
    Thanks, Penny - I just saw your note here and will send a request :)
  • seaghdha1072
    seaghdha1072 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I'm 7 months out.
  • Robin628
    Robin628 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat! I am self-pay and traveling out of state because it is ridiculously expensive to have any WLS self-pay in CT. I am looking at getting VSG end of Sept/early Oct, would love to connect with folks who are both pre- and post-surgery for support, motivation, ideas, etc. I had a Lap Band 2007-2011 so I am no stranger to WLS in general, but would like to be connected to other sleevers! :-)
  • sinderstorm
    Options
    @Robin628 feel free to friend me if you'd like. My diary is open to friends ;)
  • jules7890
    jules7890 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm considering vsg. Would like to connect. Particularly interested in finding out how others came to the decision after considering the alternative of increased exercise over time. I'm a 50-something
  • duffslove
    duffslove Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, I'm 5 1/2 months post surgery..sw 272, cw 187...friends can always view my diary if they'd like to..good luck on your new life journey..it's amazing :smile:
  • GalgoMomAnita
    Options
    Hi Jules - I can only speak for myself, but I came to the decision after 25 years of trying to lose my excess weight. The last time I lost a decent amount I worked out 4 times a week - 3 days of strength and 1 day of cardio. Although I'm hoping to increase that post-surgery, I know that will be a challenge as work hours tend to be 6 days/week and more than 8 hours/day. For me, I'd totally given up any belief that I could succeed after so many failed efforts. I could barely go a day or two eating healthy because my head was convinced there wasn't much of a point. I was doomed to be fat, so why bother. It was a really, really, REALLY difficult thing for me to decide to do this surgery. I very much enjoy eating out, eating socially, eating for pleasure, and then eating for stress/boredom/whatever else you can think of. I also LOVE soda, and giving that up was a tough choice. But it's a trade-off. I will have a tool that will allow me to do these things and to be healthy. Interestingly, since August 1st I've maintained a pretty decent diet and have lost 8 pounds. It's been quite a while since i've done well enough to drop that much weight. I figured out something - my brain now believes that I will succeed this time, so I'm able to pass up the temptations and make reasonable choices. I wasn't expecting that, but I'm so glad it's happening. I'll send you a friend request and let me know if I can be of any help
    . It's definitely not a decision to take lightly, but so many people seem to be in the "this saved my life" and "why didn't I do this sooner" category and I'm looking forward to joining them :)
  • kimberleei1
    kimberleei1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm 3 months post sleeve; have had horrible summer. Went from sleeve to work 6 weeks later; Less than one week later I was put off work for a 6mm kidney stone; still dealing with nausea 24/7 after it passed, so before I could get back to work I had to have my gallbladder removed! Yikes!! Went for 3 month check up and am 60lbs down!! Yeah!! Dr said that was a few months ahead of schedule, due to complications. Now I need to work on things like exercising and learning to eat right ... I really miss fresh salads. But, I've gone from a highest weight of 362 to my current weight of 270 (I lost some before surgery) and so please know it can be done!!! I would be happy to support you GalgomomAnita!