Squatting with a Smith machine?

Options
Angel_Grove_
Angel_Grove_ Posts: 205 Member
I just started Stronglifts with actual weights at the actual gym (had been using my home cable gym half-assedly for a few months. Finally got a gym membership) I know the goal is to do everything with free weights, but I'm new to the weight room and ended up using a Smith machine yesterday (had to look it up online to figure out what it actually was called - I just thougth it was a nifty squat rack when I was there, lol)- was more comfortable with how it was set up in case I couldnt' hack it.

I'm wondering though, should I have counted the bar when I recorded the weight? I had 45s on each side and just put it down as 90 - it seemed like the bar itself didn't really weigh much. Just trying to figure out how much weight I should use if/when I switch to a regular bar. How much would I impede my progress if I keep using the Smith for a while?

Also, is there not any way to search for posts within a group? I'm sure this has probably been asked before, so sorry about duplicating anything - I tried searching, but couldn't figure it out.

Replies

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    The probelm with the smith machine is that it does a few things for you that are definitely not optimal.
    1. It stabilizes the bar for you, taking most of the core out of the equation. Which means when you do transfer over to real barbell squats, you'll have to significantly drop the load back down to build back into it, and by that point, you might have learned a wrong way to setup which means you'll be starting back from square one anyway.
    2. It keeps you in a fixed bar path - doesn,t account for your body type/dimensions, and as such is going to be hard on your joints down the line. And even if it's one of those free standing smith machines (my gym has one where the bar will move on an horizontal plane as well as vertical), it's still on rails and will not give you the same feedback as a real squat.

If you have access to a squat rack, you definitely should go for that right away. The motor pattern is different and whatever progress you make on the smith machine will only partially translate to your squatting strength in the end.

If you are trying to build a solid base, but are still feeling squeamish about the barbell squat, the goblet squat is a better option than the smith machine, because it definitely engages your core muscles a LOT (probably even more than the barbell squat) while requiring a similar (albeit a little more upright) stance and technique. You won't be able to use quite as much weight, so you might need to go in a rep range above 5 for a bit. But it will definitely prepare you better for what's ahead IMO.

I hope that helps :)

And as for whether you should count the bar or not on the smith machine - I think that sucker has an approximal weight of like 20lbs tops considering the leverages and the rail. But I used it like, once , for squats in my entire life, so I could be wrong! xD
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Just trying to figure out how much weight I should use if/when I switch to a regular bar.

i really don't mean to sound glib, but the honest truth is the best way to figure that out is to switch to the rack and a regular bar, and find out how much weight feels okay. i don't think there's a reliable smith-to-rack conversion equation.

i used the smith my first day of trying out sl as well ;)
    How much would I impede my progress if I keep using the Smith for a while?

i really don't know, because i only used it on that first day. from my own (bitter but un-smith-related) experience, i would suggest you move over as soon as you can. muscle-memory habits are horribly easy to catch and very hard to undo once they're in. i also think that using the free bar will present you with early 'problems' to learn how to solve, which the smith machine isn't going to give you. so by using the smith you kind of cheat yourself out of the chance to learn good habits and get a feel for good form while the weight is still light.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i'll also come back to add: the rule that i trust is 'always, always do your first set with the bar'. it's not even about weight for the first sets; it's just about taking a reading on how your body's doing, whether anything's tight, whether something feels 'off' etc etc.

mark rippetoe's advice in his book starting strength is:

1. start with the bar. and i quote/paraphrase: 'always, always start with the bar, every workout'.
    2. after one or two sets add 5 or 10 pounds, if you're happy with form. do a few sets.
    3. if that's going well and you're still feeling strong, add 5 or 10 more.
    4. repeat step 3 until you reach the weight where you feel like you can't add anymore without starting to lose your good form.
    5. do three sets at that weight.
    6. call it a workout.
    7. eat a cheeseburger (this one is mine).

rippetoe's program is 3 sets at working weight, but you can adapt to the sl version of 5.
  • Angel_Grove_
    Angel_Grove_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will definitely switch over to the regular rack tonight.