Prenatal Pills

lomajess
lomajess Posts: 94 Member
So my doctor did not prescribe me prenatal pills, told me to buy over the counter ones, any suggestions? I have no idea what to buy?! help?! lol :noway:

Replies

• midcoast_mommy
    midcoast_mommy Posts: 127 Member
    I recommend the VitaFusion prenatal gummies. I got them at Walmart. I'm currently taking prescriptions, but I took the gummies when I was trying to conceive.
  • CrystalWalks
    CrystalWalks Posts: 84 Member
    If you choose the gummies most that I seen do not come with iron so your going to have to buy an iron tablet to go with it, I usually get whatever is on sale and its usually the gummies bc you can get them at walgreens on sale buy one get 1 free for $12.99, I am anemic so I have an rx for iron so when I chew the gummies I then pop the iron tablet.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    I take the Prenatal Multi plus DHA Softgel by vidaMedMD. I buy them online. They're not cheap (~$30 a month, but they often have sales) but I've never had any problems with them and I like that the DHA is plant-based. No fishy aftertaste or burps! Also just one of each a day. I have friends that take up to 4 a day and that does not fit my lifestyle.
  • CrystalWalks
    CrystalWalks Posts: 84 Member
    Oh yeh, I also used the Walgreens brand vitamins with dha in them they were about $25 bucks for a 2 month supply but it is 2 pills tho, one is the dha tablet and the other is the prenatal, just shop around, and see whats suits ya, my doc office usually will give 1 or 2 weeks of samples of different prenatals and if you like a particular one, then you can have them give you an rx but they can be quite pricey ( depending on the vitamin), it was vitamin that I liked that the doctor had given me samples of and when she called in the rx for it, it was a whopping $89 bucks, there is no way I was going to pay 89 dollars for vitamins....... Good luck on your vitamin shopping.
  • Jessibear86
    Jessibear86 Posts: 111 Member
    I was using the Prenatal Multi plus DHA Softgel for a while but nausea forced me over to the gummies, which i enjoy taking more and never forget them now since it's like a treat!
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    I HIGHLY recommend the Rainbow Lite Once a day prenatals (they sell them at Target and many other places). They have the type of iron in them that doesn't cause constipation or stomach upset. I take those along with a DHA supplement also fromTarget.

I love the Vitafusion Gummies too, but they are seriously lacking in certain areas. If you do take them, I'd supplement with iron and DHA as they do not contain enough. Other than that, they are yummy!
  • Erinthebodo
    Erinthebodo Posts: 215 Member
    I use the baby and me Mega food prenatal, it is plant based and worth EVERY penny. I don't have sickness and my absorbs WAY more of it then the processed ones. I highly rec that you go with a plant based prenatal.
  • sallydurkin
    sallydurkin Posts: 211 Member
    As a side note I take mine at night, I noticed my cravings were noticeably stronger when I took them during the day.... I now take just before bed and cravings are kept at bay. (not non-existant but managable to ignor =)
  • lmercil
    lmercil Posts: 26 Member
    My doctor switched me from my Nature Made prenatals as they were making me sick during 1st tri to Flintstones Plus Iron. SHe said to take 2 a day. Looking at the label they have everything the prenatals did and are way more fun to take. Just be sure you get the ones plus iron.
  • cnlargent
    cnlargent Posts: 199 Member
    Another vote for the walgreens brand. It's what my OB prefers. I don't mind taking the prenatal and then the other DHA pill. Add it to my stack of calcium twice daily, folic acid 2mg twice daily, baby aspirin and lovenox injections nightly.
  • lomajess
    lomajess Posts: 94 Member
    Thanks everyone! I had no idea where to start! :)