Help. Advice. Friends. Something!

Options
Leigh14
Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
Hello all,

I've been bouncing around from trainer to CrossFit to self-designed program and now to Stronglifts 5x5. My trainer moved away, CrossFit is too expensive and I am always unsure of myself when doing a program I've designed.

SO, I've attempted Stronglifts before and gotten bored and felt like I wasn't progressing. The things that worry me: not having correct form, not doing any unilateral exercises (ie: lunges, step-ups, etc.) and breaking everything down to only the Stronglifts exercises.

I have been consistent in the past when my exercise and seen results. I've been lacking with that consistency for quite a while now and though I've been making advancements, they've not been as steady as I would like.

I have calculated my nutrition requirements and feel pretty comfortable with that. I know what I need to do and how I need to do it.

One of my biggest issues (along with consistency) is not being in the gym with someone who can correct my form and push me when I need it. I have absolutely no friends who gym it up on the reg that lift weights or have a desire to lift heavy. My fiancee lifts, but we are currently located in two different areas at the moment until I move.

I'm not quite sure what I'm asking! Ha. I just feel like I needed to reach out.

Replies

• jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

Many of us around here do accessory work with SL so you can probably look at adding in lunges, step ups, and any other exercise that you feel you are missing within reason and on the right days. It also helps add a little variety into the program if you find yourself getting bored.

I also lift on my own so I know that some days it is hard to keep yourself moving forward and on track. For form, I find it helpful to try and get a video of myself doing the lift. That way I can review it myself and see right on the spot and then post here for feedback.
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I also lift on my own so I know that some days it is hard to keep yourself moving forward and on track. For form, I find it helpful to try and get a video of myself doing the lift. That way I can review it myself and see right on the spot and then post here for feedback.

This is pretty useful. I spent $75 on a flip camera and another $35 on a teeny tiny tripod a few years ago. It's been a great second coach. Also avail yourself of the video instruction published by Mark Rippetoe of Starting Strength. You can pull instructional video right off the website. Better yet would be to get the Starting strength book and DVD. Good luck and welcome!
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    Hi and welcome. I´m not clever enough to give any advises. But I do want you to know that you´re not alone. Hold on!! You will not regret it.
  • inkysmurf
    inkysmurf Posts: 168
    Options
    I'm pretty new as well so hello!

I'm lifting at home by myself and I started with really, really light weights to build my confidence and to make sure that I felt my form was good. Slowly progressing - but looking for inspiration? just keep an eye on the june'o thread - I check it every day to see what other awesome ladies are lifting and to say it is inspiring is an understatement (supportive, funny and kiss *kitten* all in one) - that thread alone is worth its weight in gold at the moment to me.

Can't recommend watching the ripptoe videos on the different lifts enough (just search on you tube) - short sweet and brilliant!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    You can either let your insecurity pin you in a corner, or you can pick up a barbell and just go for it and adjust as you go.

The best program is one that you actually do. and stick with.

I lift from home and made Rippetoe my personal couch. I devoured his book and videos and am constantly rechecking my form by using the self-timer on my camera.

There's no ideal program out there, sweetie. Just pick one, and do it. If you don't like it, find another one. Once you get the basics down, design your own. Check out Nia Shanks for templates and ideas.

I've tried out like 5 programs since I started lifting 4 months ago, and now I'm doing a homebaked version that works alright for me and keeps me moving forward and making progress. Who cares? I'm still lifting, still love my barbells, and I'm sure as heck a bunch stronger and fitter than I was back then.

You don't actually need lunges or step-ups to build a functional strength base. You can gain an incredible amount of strength with just the major 4 compound lifts. Stronglifts works fine. As does Starting Strength (which is 3x5 in an A/B rotation). The genius is in the simplicity.

BUT ... if you have ADD like me and need a regular change of pace, then find a program that's not 3 months long. It's fine. Many of us get bored easily too. I can't follow a 3-month program to save my life. So again, maybe check into Nia Shanks or modify Stronglifts for your own benefit and personal needs. It's just a 5x5 lifting program. There's many of them out there, and Stronglifts is just one version of it.

Good luck!