5K app question

Options
hharvey9
hharvey9 Posts: 36 Member
I read that on the original zombies run app your phone had to be moving. I don't have an armband or pockets so I'm wondering if I can still use the 5k version if my phone will be sitting on the treadmill while I run?

Replies

• sarannakitten
    Options
    When on the treadmill, it will have to use the accelerometer since gps would show you standing still. For that to work though it has to be on your body I think, so it can measure your steps.
  • hharvey9
    Options
    That's what I was worried about. Well bummer. I want to start this bad but our budget is so tight and I have no work out shorts with pockets or arm band.
  • sarannakitten
    Options
    Maybe you can hold it as you run? Not sure, someone said it messed up GPS reading, but that won't apply in this case. I'm not sure how the accelerometer will read it though. Just a thought.
  • dragon1ady
    dragon1ady Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I started the app on my phone, opened a mission and checked the accelerometer settings. One of the options is "in hand", so holding it like sarannakitten suggested should work.
  • hharvey9
    Options
    Awesome, thanks! I haven't even downloaded it yet, just got a new phone and wanted to make sure I could even use it before getting it.
  • angryjake
    angryjake Posts: 39
    Options
    5K will work just sitting still. I've done two runs where the GPS registered that I was sitting at home the whole time because of a poor cellular signal (thanks, Sprint!). You just won't have any stats on the Zombies, Run! site when you're finished.

If you move on to Zombies, Run! 2, you'll need a pocket or an armband to register your pace and whether you are outrunning the zombies.
  • sb4480
    sb4480 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I stick it in my sports bra, under the strap. It's pretty secure there. And I use the "in pocket" setting.