just tell it like it is

Options
thegreatmd
thegreatmd Posts: 30 Member
So, I'm an over weight American moving to the UK this fall. I'm 5'9" (1.75m) and, unfortunately, about 130kg. I'm working on myself and its slow but steady progress.

One of my friends INSISTS that, "people will point and laugh" at me while I'm walking down the streets while another has told me, "don't worry about it, men like the bigger women... Kinda like on the Islands."

Honestly, I don't believe either of them... But I know behaviour and perceptions are a bit different... Americans don't really talk about weight so... I just want to be prepared for what I'll be facing. I mean, there are a gazillion fat Americans like me walking around my town... But am I going to be the circus freak of the UK?

Replies

• blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    I was 130kg not long ago. People do NOT point and laugh. Obviously, like any bigger person, you will occasionally get kids or teenagers snickering but I think that's a fact of life wherever you go.

Worry about getting fit, but don't spend time pointlessly worrying about scaremongering, it gets you nowhere.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    With friends like that I suggest you start hanging out with your enemies!

UK obesity rates are lower but sadly too many Brits are busy digging their grave with their teeth.... You won't be one of a gazillion but you won't be unique either.

"Men like bigger women" - hope that's an attempt at being kind by your friend but generalising over the preferences of half the population isn't too clever!
  • Mindfullyjo
    Mindfullyjo Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi and good luck with your move to UK. A recent survey shows we've got the most overweight women in Western Europe - nothing to boast about but hopefully might help put your mind at ease! See also http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/may/05/obesity-crisis-projections-uk-2030-men-women Be kind to yourself :)
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Plenty of obese people in the UK, me included. I'm around 100kg. I've never had anyone point and laugh at me except some teenagers once when I was running (ok, jogging. But I was trying!). I ignored them and thought "my body is probably healthier than their drunk, chain-smoking ones" and carried on with my slow, wobbly, health-improving jog :D

All the best for your move to the UK. Feel free to add me as a friend if you wish :)
  • sarahrob215
    sarahrob215 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm probably a similar size to you, and people don't point and laugh at me, no worries. We aren't as blessed with clothes shops for bigger women, but otherwise I've not noticed a major difference in attitudes between the UK and USA. Good luck with the move!
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I used to have a job in a school and have been called fat, tubs, lard-*kitten* and that was by the teachers! Frankly I don't give a monkeys - I am trying to lose weight for me and my family and because my friend who was my age drop dead of a weight related heart attack. If only we could all be on the moral high ground that some people think they occupy but those who spout abuse are nothing, they are insignificant, they will never mean anything to you and neither will their words. As it happens I am awesome as, I suspect, are you.
  • Sweepypie
    Sweepypie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    thegreatmd wrote: »
    So, I'm an over weight American moving to the UK this fall. I'm 5'9" (1.75m) and, unfortunately, about 130kg. I'm working on myself and its slow but steady progress.

One of my friends INSISTS that, "people will point and laugh" at me while I'm walking down the streets while another has told me, "don't worry about it, men like the bigger women... Kinda like on the Islands."

Honestly, I don't believe either of them... But I know behaviour and perceptions are a bit different... Americans don't really talk about weight so... I just want to be prepared for what I'll be facing. I mean, there are a gazillion fat Americans like me walking around my town... But am I going to be the circus freak of the UK?
    Hope your move to the UK went well and you have settled in! I live in Lincoln England and no one laughs or sniggers at me! The only person who has said anything was the leader in Weight Watchers (I left after five months). Now I am happy with MFP and friends! o:)B):)