Soft Food Snack Ideas

Options
pennysteed
pennysteed Posts: 80 Member
What does everyone eat for a snack. I need to up my number of meals throughout my day, so I figured adding in approved soft food, high protein snacks would be the way to go. (I am only 4 weeks post sleeve). My problem is, I find myself always turning to cheese, even if it is healthy. I did pick up some grapes today, and am thinking about prepping zucchini fritters as a snack option. I just need healthy suggestions that will not blow my calorie count out of the water, especially since my stomach is still getting use to food again and I can only "stomach" so much yogurt in a day.

Replies

• Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Amy's has an awesome vegetarian chili which is very soft and compatible with a new stomach. I get the medium spicy and it didn't bother me a bit.

Refried beans. Avocado. Cottage cheese. A bit of soft fish (tilapia isn't bad cold with a bit of lemon or lime and salt). Soups with added protein powder. Sweet potato chunks.

I'm about one week ahead of you with a RNY and still have to have at least one protein shake a day to meet my caloric and protein needs.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese, tuna or chicken salad made with a little light mayo, refried beans mixed with a little salsa and a sprinkle of shredded cheese, scrambled eggs with a bit of cheese and salsa
  • duffslove
    duffslove Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Egg substitute scrambled or however you like, I add some spicy black bean dip and sprinkle of fat free mozzarella to it or a tsp of roasted red pepper hummus...I liked having plain natural applesauce and then I would add stevia and cinnamon to it..egg salad made with creamy mustard and light mayo... Laughing cow with tomato slices or cuccumbers( with the hard skin trimmed off) I had a lot of cheeses during that stage also, but there are so many types and ways to use them I guess I didn't get really sick of using them..lol...string and laughing cow were my favs because there are so many flavor options
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    At 4 weeks, I wasn't eating any fruit or veggies, are they part of your plan so soon? At the soft food stage I ate a lot of greek yogurt, sometimes adding in PB2 for flavor, or I would eat cottage cheese with some hummus mixed in, scrambled eggs, egg salad, sugar free pudding with protein powder added.
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Dannon light and fit greek yogurt, cottage cheese, hummus, tuna salad and deli soups with unflavored protein powder added were my go to's during the soft phase. I was 2 months out before eggs really sat well with me. I know I also went on a huge white fish and shrimp kick early on- they were the best sitting proteins for me early on. It took me a couple of months to get comfortable with chicken again, and I still have to be careful with beef and pork at 4.5 months postop.
  • pennysteed
    pennysteed Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions. I am cleared for soft fruits and veggies, which makes it hard for me since I do not like cooked veggies. I guess eating as much cheese for a snack is not as bad as I thought it was, since I am not alone. I know that I am also eating grapes, which helps with keeping things moving. So I guess, I need to look at my snacks as mini meals instead of a light snack.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    pennysteed wrote: »
    Thank you for the suggestions. I am cleared for soft fruits and veggies, which makes it hard for me since I do not like cooked veggies. I guess eating as much cheese for a snack is not as bad as I thought it was, since I am not alone. I know that I am also eating grapes, which helps with keeping things moving. So I guess, I need to look at my snacks as mini meals instead of a light snack.

Yes! At four weeks out I was doing three snacks and three meals, but they were so much the same size that I found it easier to treat them as 6 meals.

• nilklynn
    nilklynn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It's funny how different programs can be. I'm 4 weeks out and I'm in 'soft foods'. 3 meals a day. Protein shakes between if need protein. No raw fruits or veggies, only cooked/no sugar added. No beef. Can have toast or cracker, no bread. I've been eating a ton of those flavored tuna packets. Never liked tuna before! I'm constantly on the go and really need grab and go. The little cottage cheese containers help a lot too. Cheese stick with some deli meat wrapped around it.