Sugar became my boyfriend.

Options
SocaSean
SocaSean Posts: 6 Member
edited August 2015 in Social Groups
Bingeing out on sweets, Ben & Jerry's, Magnum ice creams, bags of Haribo, Fruit Pastilles, Wine Gums, and everything and anything like it, gave me a sugar high that numbed my feelings of inadequacy, reinforced by daily checks on gay dating apps. The ocean of narcissistically crafted chests, torsos, and abdominals creating a sense of despairing loneliness that sugar offered temporary relief from. After squeezing into trousers that felt as tight as cheese wire around my waist, I finally forced myself out of denial. This morning I stood on my terrifyingly accurate scales: 100.4 kgs. I then emptied my fridge of all the sugar loaded toxic crap and began my first sugar free day. I'm aiming for 90 sugar free days which takes me neatly to 11/11/15. I'm going to focus on nothing else diet-wise. I want to do this one thing and do it well. Your encouragement is appreciated but the validation of others is not a required part of my effort. I must do this for me. If I don't, I am quite sure that sugar will kill me. Thanks for reading, and my best wishes for your own goals!

Replies

• TonyTrink
    TonyTrink Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Wishing you success in this venture, 90 days seems like an achievable goal.
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Hey congratulations on your resolution! A good starting point would be to check the types of food you consume to find any "hidden" sugars. I find myself quite sensitive to sugar so if I have some - it turns into a binge. There's plenty of resources online and on MFP but you can use the lists here to create a good diary for yourself :)

It's the best way I think - planning ahead will keep you from reaching for that late afternoon donut. Good luck! (BTW when I started my journey I was about the same weight as you)
  • special_k_lpool
    special_k_lpool Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your challenge.
    I think I tried everything to lose weight, fat burners, carb blockers etc, it just let me think I could eat more crap. I know the only way is to curb my eating habits and stop comfort eating.
  • vollans
    vollans Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how you can sometimes find just a few things to get rid of to shift a huge amount of calories out of your diet and make a difference. For me it was the morning muffin with the coffee - that was 400 calories in one tasteless nasty muffin. Changing my lunch from sandwiches to soup got rid of another 400 or so calories. I started at just over 114 kilos 3 months ago, and I am now at the 95 kilo mark.
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    You can still eat plenty and lose weight - it's just about knowing what to eat.
    In my case if I change the carbs to fibrous greens - the weight comes off real quick.
    Research the volumetrics diet. IT's a great way to lose weight without feeling starved or hungry all the time :)
  • becknomad
    becknomad Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Sugar is my drug of choice too. It is such an instant anti-anxiety! Good luck going sugar free. After 3-4 days you'll feel like you are out of a coma. It really helped me to have a list of alternatives to sweets when I was anxious or had a bad day. :blush: