Tera's Bulking Journal

Options
terar21
terar21 Posts: 523 Member
Woohoo, bulk time! I started Monday and started a journal on bodybuilding.com but figured I'd start one here as well.

A little background on me:
I lost 30 pounds and have been maintaining for the past 6-ish months. Started lifting in October of 2014 with Strong Curves. I loved my results with Strong Curves. Went through the beginner program once and the advanced program twice. So I wanted to continue to follow a Bret Contreras program for my bulk as well.

Program:
Monday: Glutes
Tuesday: Chest/Shoulders/Tri’s
Wednesday: Quads/Glutes
Thursday: Back/Rear Delts/Bi’s
Friday: Hams/Glutes

Lower body dominant program. When I start sharing progress pictures it might look like I’ve got some great glutes. But I’m really just have extreme proportions in where I hold body fat. I get very lean in the arms/shoulders/back and hold fat directly in the butt. It’s not a bad genetic problem to have lol. But I really want to improve the muscle I have. It’s ok but not what I’d like to put on stage.

I’ll also be running twice a week (Monday and Friday) because I’ve made some great improvements in my running ability and don’t want to lose a step. It’ll be a max of 30 minutes per session.

Stats:
Height: 5’2”
Weight: 117
Body fat: Not sure…scared to get it tested lol
Bulk calories/macros: 2250 to start and see how that goes with the additional workouts…may need more. 100g protein, 53g fat, rest is carbs.

Nutrition will be a struggle for me because I LOVE fatty foods. A fatty meats, oils and butters, and avocados. Ugh. Why can’t my diet be 100% fat? It’s going to be a battle trying to get my carbs in.

I'm a little annoyed I didn't get my body fat tested before I started. I promised myself I would but chicken out and used confusion in schedule a DEXA as an excuse.

My goal is to compete in an NPC bikini competition next year. I live in Houston and there's one in July I'd like to go to.

Replies

• terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    8/10 Update

Glutes
    - barbell hip thrusts 3x12 @ 185
    - cable glute kickbacks 3x12 @ 40
    - cable standing hip abduction 1x10 @ 30 and 2x10 @ 20
    - dumbbell back extensions 3x20 body weight
    - seated hip abduction 3x20 @ 50

Running
    - half mile intervals for 25 minutes

8/11 Update

Chest / Shoulders / Tri’s
    - Bench press 2x6, 1x6 @ 80 pounds
    - Standing military press 3x5 @ 55 pounds
    - Pushups 3x9
    - Dumbbell side lateral raises 3x10 @ 8 pounds
    - Triceps extensions 3x12 @ 30 pounds
    - Hanging straight leg raise 3x8

8/12 Update

Quads / Glutes
    - Barbell squat 3x8 @ 100 pounds
    - Hack squat 3x8 @ 90 pounds
    - Reverse lunge 3x8 @ 22.5 dumbbells
    - Leg extensions 3x10 @ 30 pounds
    - Hanging straight leg raise 2x10
    - Stability ball crunch 2x10 @ 10 pound dumbbell
    - TRX crunches 2x10

]8/13 Update

Back / Rear Delts / Bi's
    - Pull-ups 1x6, 1x5, 1x3
    - Seated cable row 12x60
    - Inverted Row 3x8
    - Prone Rear Delt Raise 3x8 @ 8 pounds
    - EZ Bar Curl 3x12 @ 20 pounds
    - Row/Rear Delt Machine 3x12 @ 50 pounds

8/14 Update

Hams & Glutes
    - Romanian Deadlift 3x12 @ 95 pounds
    - Dumbbell back extension 3x12 @ 25 pounds
    - Valslide Leg Curls 3x12
    - Lying Leg Curls 3x12 @ 40 pounds
    - Glute Ham Raise 3x12 @ 30 pounds

Overall, I was really happy with the week. I skipped my 2nd run which should've been today because I'm so sore from Wednesday quads! My god. Ridiculously sore. The struggle is real. I knew this would happen because I've never had a true leg day since Strong Curves is full body and that's all I've ever done. So I really anticipated this week would be hard for me overall. I was fine after Monday. Chest was sore after Tuesday but not really bad. Shoulders shockingly pain free. Mild soreness from Thursday. But that quad day killed me.

I took working weights down on everything (except bench) to try to get myself adjusted to the new load and figure out what weights to use on lifts I've never done (like hack squats). Thought it would help with not getting overly sore (clearly didn't help on quads lol) and make for a smoother transition. Plus I could really focus on ensuring form is on point.

Calories/macros went very well! I hit around 2250 every day and was on track with macros. Felt like I was eating all day long but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

I weighed in today at 120. I know I didn't gain 3 pounds because I've been weighing everything I put in my mouth impeccably. Just sucks not knowing if I'm eating enough or too much. I'm assuming I'd have to do 2250 for a whole month to know if that's actually correct because I think I'm retaining some water with these sore muscles for sure.
  • Shouliveshappy
    Shouliveshappy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Hello! almost similar stats with you! I am starting a bulk too! Starting at 2000 cals! :)

I am doing 3 times full body workout, have you considered ICF 5 X 5?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Ya expect the scale to jump up especially when starting a new program and increase in cals - lots of water retention. Keep at it and monitor, then adjust.

How are you liking the new program btw? When I was doing it I had to modify quite a bit due to equipment (I workout at home) and swapped or cut out some stuff due to personal preference/goals

• jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I am liking the look of this. I have worked on shoulders for about 4 months and am pretty impressed with the outcome. I can now do unassisted pull ups which was my goal. But my behind is kind of old and tired and if this works as well as my shoulders did, then Im giving it a try. Thanks for the info.