Options

Replies

• cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    smeakim1 wrote: »
    Yuck on multiple fronts.

not really - after what I've had happen, every day above ground is a good day - and if that day involves sitting on a bike (even in my bike-cave) and turning a crank, then a good day becomes a great one!
    Agreed!

Personally, I like Zwift. I get on with the intent of doing a zone 2 workout, but I get lured out and end up going for jerseys (on the sprints at least...) This may be a good thing or a bad thing, but it's interval training I guess (doing a 300+ metre sprint in every 9km's?)

I'll wait and see what is on offer when the full subscription service arrives, but I can see myself subscribing - it's far more social than 'one-man-banding' it on the Tacx, although the real-life videos are still spectacular!

At least with the Kickr I can use Kinomap Trainer software & a multitude of other bits online, rather than being tied to Tacx's TTS software [yuk!]

The missus reckons she's going to use my Genius, so at least I don't have to bother trying to find a buyer for that...
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    cloggsy71 wrote: »
    At least with the Kickr I can use Kinomap Trainer software & a multitude of other bits online, rather than being tied to Tacx's TTS software [yuk!]

If you haven't already tried it Clive, sign up for a free months trial on TrainerRoad, if you like proper "structured training" stuff - it's got it nailed - AND it works rather nicely with the sufferfest videos for additional motivation (even adjusting the resistance levels to match the "perceived effort" rating on screen to your personal effort, as calculated from your FTP test results...)

If I was thinking of resuming serious training, that'd definitely be the direction I'd be looking... as it is, I'm just hoping to actually get on and turn a crank...

• ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options

If you haven't already tried it Clive, sign up for a free months trial on TrainerRoad, if you like proper "structured training" stuff - it's got it nailed - AND it works rather nicely with the sufferfest videos for additional motivation (even adjusting the resistance levels to match the "perceived effort" rating on screen to your personal effort, as calculated from your FTP test results...)

If I was thinking of resuming serious training, that'd definitely be the direction I'd be looking... as it is, I'm just hoping to actually get on and turn a crank...

+1 on this. I've used TrainerRoad since it was in free beta back in 2011 or so. It's very, very effective. Now that I have a smart trainer it's even better.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like Zwift. I get on with the intent of doing a zone 2 workout, but I get lured out and end up going for jerseys (on the sprints at least...) This may be a good thing or a bad thing, but it's interval training I guess (doing a 300+ metre sprint in every 9km's?)

Ha, the same happens to me. I only use Zwift occasionally, but when I do*, it it hard to resist trying to keep up with a group, or maybe beat my last time up a hill, or try to obtain a jersey for a brief time.

* hmmm.. Dos Equis guy?
  • TheBigYin
    edited October 2015
    Options
    training mode's here (in beta, and apparently buggy as hell if the menu screens are to be believed - couldn't actually select from the pulldown lists etc,as they kept jumping from one to another and flashing like they wanted to be at some indie rave...

still, got a couple of screenshots...

Initial "select screen" where you can just join "normal" rides or go into training mode

dvnr7q4ece1s.jpg

And a couple of the selections from the Training Menu - a Full-Form and Shortform FTP test. Seems that it's pulling the FTP you entered in your normal details as the base level - presumably it'll use that as some form of resistance setting baseline for those of you who are on smart trainers - though I would hope that it'd be clever enough to allow you to bump the resistance manually as well, if you've either entered a hopelessly low setting initially, or you've made astounding improvements to your fitness since the last FTP test.

0jaxa5lz82gg.jpg

98x1iv1ov6z4.jpg

(oh, and if you're wondering how the hell I got into the settings this far without rigging the whole bike etc up... It's called a Cycleops Powercal HR Belt. It makes Zwift think you've got a HR and Powermeter, and basically "lets you in" even though the bike is downstairs, hung on the wall, and the Tacx is still folded away near the bike.)
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    so how will training actually work? What would be nice is, in addition to specific courses with appropriate terrain, you get a virtual riding partner that will pace you to your goals.
  • ntnunk
    Options
    And a couple of the selections from the Training Menu - a Full-Form and Shortform FTP test. Seems that it's pulling the FTP you entered in your normal details as the base level - presumably it'll use that as some form of resistance setting baseline for those of you who are on smart trainers - though I would hope that it'd be clever enough to allow you to bump the resistance manually as well, if you've either entered a hopelessly low setting initially, or you've made astounding improvements to your fitness since the last FTP test.

Eric Min, one of the founders/owners at Zwift, said on Strava a couple of days ago that smart trainers control power to hit targets through the warmup, then once the actual "test interval" hits the software switches the trainer from Erg mode to Slope mode.

I got the download yesterday morning but since I was racing today I haven't tried it out yet. Looking forward to it.

• m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Quit telling me to 'close the gap' if all I am going to do is run in to then bumble around and pass him! And why can't you just ride straight through the ghost riders, or vice-versa, instead of them being like a real-time zwifter where you can't occupy the same space? Just a few things that annoy me right now.

Rode today but didn't try the training thing. Oh and I hooked up my tower to my big screen TV and rode so I used a wifi adapter and had zero problems with the app operating fully.
  • Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I messaged Zwift peeps with this question 'Hi, regarding upcoming subscriptions will you be able to buy a years upfront commitment subscription, 12 months for the price of 10 etc? People are less likely to pay subscriptions over the summer period where Zwift would be used less but may still like access for the odd session, if it's a one off yearly sub I'd be more likely to choose that option personally.'

Reply was simply: Hi Jason, We currently do not have that option available.

Can't say I'm too impressed with this ....
  • Jakess1971
    Options
    m1xm0d3 wrote: »
    Quit telling me to 'close the gap' if all I am going to do is run in to then bumble around and pass him! And why can't you just ride straight through the ghost riders, or vice-versa, instead of them being like a real-time zwifter where you can't occupy the same space? Just a few things that annoy me right now.

Rode today but didn't try the training thing. Oh and I hooked up my tower to my big screen TV and rode so I used a wifi adapter and had zero problems with the app operating fully.

lol yeh I have to say I agre with the Ghost riders, would be nice just to ride through and to be honest I think I'd prefer that for all riders, the last second swerve round a rider as you pass when going a lot faster weirdly freaks me out a bit! Needs to be smooth with a wider pass or just go straight through.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    ntnunk wrote: »
    Eric Min, one of the founders/owners at Zwift, said on Strava a couple of days ago that smart trainers control power to hit targets through the warmup, then once the actual "test interval" hits the software switches the trainer from Erg mode to Slope mode.

Ah, that makes sense to be honest - "keep you honest" for the warmup and "pre-loading" sections of the FTP test, then let you select your "comfort" (well-maybe not comfort exactly) zone for the actual test interval.

• ntnunk
    Options
    A couple of write-ups on Zwift training mode, for any of us that haven't had the chance to play with it yet.
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/10/zwifts-workout-mode.html
    http://www.titaniumgeek.com/gear-reviews/zwift-workout-mode/
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    /\ Look good ;)
  • Jakess1971
    Options
    Following on from a possible Winter challenge mentioned earlier in this thread add your interest on here if you fancy taking part, could be an opportunity for some group Swift sessions perhaps.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10274244/winter-training-challenges-some-bad-news-from-me-but-an-opportunity-for-someone-else/p1
  • ntnunk
    Options
    Had my first go at Zwift workout mode. Not terribly impressed at this juncture. The software spent almost the entire workout using my trainer (Tacx Vortex Smart) to fight me. It would, for instance, give me a power target at 175 watts and tell me to "Add more power!" I'd crank up the effort and the software would immediately turn down resistance on the trainer to prevent me from hitting the target. I know it isn't an issue with my setup because TrainerRoad does exactly this flawlessly.

• Jakess1971
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Doesn't sound too attractive to me but I might have a bash tonight as I'm off the outside bike today so I'll see how the kickr responds, sounds like they have teething issues to sort out, not great when beta mode finishes in 2 days, I wonder if they are realising that releasing a major module a week before people start paying was not the best idea.
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    smeakim1 wrote: »
    Tried the workout mode this morning. The workout reminded me of Revolver. I wish there was more of a audible queue when power needs to change other than a start of an interval. There were a couple of 5-10 intervals that power changed and if you were not paying attention you would miss it. I also wish I knew what Max as if you dont hit it you fail that segment. Going to try it a few more times as well. The Worlds course was cool. Not so much into the social aspect but seeing the chatter between people is a nice distraction. Not sure how you train and chat but hey each his own.

Yeah I dont get how you can cycle and text by phone or type on a laptop at all. I'm moving way too much to type.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    I think some people are using 'voice to type' software of some sort.... Pretty sure it's a regular thing with some gamers. Headset microphone and they're away. Haven't looked into it, as the whole messages thing actually gets on my tits, I go on the trainer to get a workout, not to read someone's waffling on about keeping up or shouting decking ride on at me!
  • Jakess1971
    Options
    The only time I've used the chatter thing was when doing the charity ride which was manageable at a plodding endurance speed, was quite nice to do it as a collective .... that was until the software had a major wobble and I was left in the twilight zone with everyone disappearing, how they chat while racing is beyond me ... even with voice to type.
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    Per email, it looks like they are extending Beta another week.