Men's schedule or women's?

Options
On the website, it says to progress 2.5kg each time you workout, but later on it says for women to add 1lb each time instead. I'm curious whether the ladies here follow that advice or go up 2.5kg each time?

Replies

• Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I have been upping it by 5 pounds at a time. This is mainly due to the fact that the gym I go to only goes as low as 2.5 lb plates. When I hit a wall, I do as many reps as I can but I still do the 5 sets. Hope that helps!
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I try to go up 2.5kg every time. If I hit a wall for more than 2x, then I'll deload but then go up by 1 kg the next time, particularly with overhead press and bench press (which I struggle with more than the other exercises).
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I do the 5 increments as well when I can because they gym doesn't have anything less than 2.5 plates and I've been too lazy to order my own online. Sports stores in the area don't carry smaller either and I haven't checked on getting something like a few washers from a hardware store.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I add 5 lbs for lower body and bought fractional plates so that I can add 2.5 lbs for upper body. When I started out, I was adding 10 lbs for deadlift and 5 for bench, but once I started maxing out, I dropped them down.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Do whatever you feel comfortable with. You can start out with bigger increments if the lifts are relatively easy, and then taper down as you get closer to maxing out.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I don't do "men's" or "women's" I do whatever feels right for each exercise, I go in pounds, not kgs. for lower body as someone already mentioned, 5 pound increments work well, for upper sometimes it's 5, sometimes it's 2.5.
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I add half the normal prescribed weight each time. So I add 5 lbs for deadlift, and 2.5 lbs for everything else. Like Mirrim above, I bought fractional weights (each plate is 1.25 lbs) and I just take them to the gym with me. I couldn't find fractionals in my local stores, so I ended up buying from Rogue Fitness and was really happy with the purchase.

http://www.roguefitness.com/weightlifting-bars-plates/bumpers/fractional-plates

Fractional plates seem to be kind of pricey compared to other plates, but apparently it is more expensive to manufacture them with a tighter weight tolerance. Or something. Anyhow, I've gotten good use out of mine so far.

• blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone :-)