What to do with non-vegan pantry items...

Options
stefa711
stefa711 Posts: 196 Member
I've been 100% vegan for a little while and started vegetarian intending to be vegan in March.

I have a lot of non-vegan things left in my pantry... it feels more wasteful and inhumane to just throw these items away, but I'm not about to eat them just because they're in my house.

What has everyone else done with their non-vegan things after they made the switch?

I feel like the obvious solution is to give these things away, but what about the items nobody wants?

Replies

• nerdlyness
    nerdlyness Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I donated what I could to the food bank. Asked anyone that I knew if they wanted the items that were opened (like honey) but I couldn't donate, and the rest I threw away.
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I donated unopened stuff to Harvester's, there's a bin for Harvesters at all of the local grocery stores. I had a lot of chicken in my freezer, as well as some non-vegan sauces and marinades and gave them to family members. I felt that if I at least gave the meat away to someone, that it would be one less pack of meat they would purchase. Of course, I gave the chicken to my mom, who decided she wanted to go veg too, and she ended up giving the chicken to her sister!
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    donate to local food pantry, or give away to family and friends
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Nothing on this end since I'm the only one eating vegan in my house. My wife is eating mostly vegetarian, but my teenage daughter and my preteen son still view bacon as a food group...but I'm working on that!
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Invite your non vegan friends over and cook them a huge assortment of things using your pantry items you no longer want!
  • veganlisa
    veganlisa Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    you can donate them to a food bank or even a family or friend. Since I went from vegetarian to vegan, I just ate them off while I transitioned (my farewell to cheese!)