Can I?

Options
IamOnMywayNow
IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
Switch to 3x5 on squats but leave everything else 5x5? Squatting 3 times at 5x5 a week is KILLING me! I can do 3 reps with good form but by the time I get to 4 and 5 I start to get light headed and my lips go numb LOL. Plus my hip flexors are sore all the time even after stretching and massaging them. I am on a medication that dries out the joints so that probably is part of the problem. And will I still make progress if I switch to 3x5 on squats? I have been struggling with adding weight on my squats due to the hip flexor pain and I think going to 3x5 may help with that. Sorry for the rambling......any advice would be very much appreciated:)

Replies

• sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    My vote is do what your body can handle. If it's 3x5 on squats, do that. I would also recommend you look into some supplements for your joints that are dry .
    I have been using Hyaluronic Acid and notice definite joint improvements and especially dry eye is gone.
    It is a natural substance found throughout our body in synovial fluid, connective tissue and various other tissues.
    It acts as a shock absorber in joint tissue helping our bodies withstand the impact of physical activity.
  • chunkmunk
    chunkmunk Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Yes. Do it. I did and never regretted it.
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Not wanting to do all your sets of an exercise because you know how fatigued it will make you is a definite reason to drop to 3x5. I did when I started having trouble with my hip flexor, and it made a huge difference.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Yep - actually you're supposed to start dropping one exercise at a time, not do all of them to 3x5 at once, BUT 3x5 is also fine so drop to that with any exercise you need to, anytime you feel like it is valuable for you.