Just started Tecfidera

Options
TeraJo
TeraJo Posts: 58 Member
Morning MS MFPers!

I just started Tecfidera and was wondering if any of you have as well and what your experience is... This is my second MS drug. I was on Copaxone, and had bad site reactions no matter what I tried. Hoping this one there is little to no side effects.

Let me know!

-Tera

Replies

• Hope228
    Hope228 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Hi TeraJo,

I was on Copaxone for 7 years. I don't have one part of my body left to inject on. It is all covered with those hard lumps.

The day Tecfedera was approved I called my neuro and asked him if I could try it. I have A-fib, so that leaves me out of taking a lot

of others, Tec is one I CAN take! When I first started taking it they had me on a half dose, working my way up to full. I was fine

on the 120 mg. no side effects at all. 10 days into the full dose 240 mg. I started having some gastro issues. I was having

bad stomach aches, acid reflux, and nausea. To be fair, I have had acid reflux and am on meds for it but it seems like

it got much worse. I was only sent a month supply. When I ran out I had some issues with my insurance and they did not ship

me any for 2 weeks. In a way it was a blessing because it gave me time for my stomach to recover. I went to my Neurologist

and we decided that as soon as I received them I would go back to half dose for a month and then full. When I first started

Tecfidera I already decided if it didn't work out there was no going back to injections for me. I still feel that way.

So far so good on the half dose. I go on vacation for 4 days the second week in July. As soon as I get back I will try the full dose.

I wish you all the best with Tec. I know many people who have no side effects at all. Feel free to message me or friend me

anytime.

Terri
  • LizHowerton
    LizHowerton Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I was on copaxone and had horrible side effects....the non rebif for six or seven years....eh..better than copaxone but hard lumps tired flu like symptoms I'm on Gilenya now and I actually like it. No noticeable side effects for me. Good luck.

Liz
  • grantsmom08
    grantsmom08 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am still on the copaxone but worried about the effect of the injections over time... and wondering if my constant exhaustion is related to it at all... Best of luck girl!
  • tracyd73
    tracyd73 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Did the copax 2 years avail and lots more lesions. Been on Tysabri for 4 years. No flare what so ever and JC virus has not be detected til last month. My index number is .25 (super low) But was given the choose to continue or move to tecfidera. The stressful decision caused ALL my symptoms to activate. But no true flares (symptoms last over 48 hours). Border line nervous brake down, Dx with plantar fasciitis in both feet, (caused by aerobic step exercise a year ago! My heavy weight playing too) Flared Sciatic nerve. all since July 8th, 2013 has pushed me over the edge to diet, which I have never done or committed to. Anyway I have chosen to stay on Tysabri. It has done wonders for me, and I will fly by faith. The Tecfidera just really stressed me out, thinking
    about the heart issue. I know Tysabri has major possible effects also, but I feel content and no anxiety with my decision.

Good luck with your decision, Stay committed to your health.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I know this post is a little old but I figured I would chime in in case you check it. I just started Tecfidera almost two months ago. At first I got stomach cramps with it and it got better, I also used some OTC medication for my stomach which helped. Then I started getting the flushing and for like a week I did not put 2 + 2 together and then I looked at the side effect profile and it's really common. I still get it a few times a week but not every day anymore and it's not that intense so I'm okay with it. So far I have been symptom free which is good. I was on Gilenya for 2 years and doing well with it but my white count dropped super low so my doctor advised I come off.

How are you doing with it so far?
  • Kings33
    Options
    Ive been on Copaxon for 5 years Currently getting ready to change toTecfidera in the next month. I always feel exhausted hoping the change will help with that.
  • lorim77
    lorim77 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm on Tecfidera and LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I felt well on Copaxone except for the injection site reactions and lumps and bruises. I switched to Gilenya and had to stop after 6 days because I could barely breathe. I started Tecfidera this summer. I had some flushing in the beginning and occasional Big D, but my body seems to have adjusted. I still require my daily nap- but I blame the disease and not the medicine for that! No new symptoms (knock on wood). The only negative is that I sometimes forget to take my pill twice a day. That was never an issue with the shots because I dreaded them so much they were always on my mind!
  • bouncycat
    bouncycat Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm starting Tec this weekend.... Wish me luck! I was on copaxone but not responding, relapse rate stayed the same and lesion load increased so neuro switched me. Hoping this one helps as I relapse multiple times a year at the moment.
  • squeakyfish
    squeakyfish Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    HI bouncycat. I recognize you! Friend request sent!
  • nataliejulie
    Options
    I'm starting Tec this weekend.... Wish me luck! I was on copaxone but not responding, relapse rate stayed the same and lesion load increased so neuro switched me. Hoping this one helps as I relapse multiple times a year at the moment.

Good luck!! I've been on Tecfidera for a month now. The only side effect I had was flushing (and that was only for about a week or two). BIG CHANGE from being on my death bed every time I did my Avonex shot. ugh
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I see this is an old post but figured I'd chime in. :) I've been on Tec since October. I've had some issues with nausea, stomach pain and other GI issues, several episodes of flushing, and fatigue but overall I like it a lot better than I liked Copaxone or Betaseron!