The fun things about losing weight

Options
garber6th
garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
Having surgery, measuring food, keeping track of fluid, protein, etc. can all be pretty challenging, not to mention hard work, but there are some awesome and fun things about losing weight. Right now I need a little positive reinforcement and I know a lot of other people do too, so I thought we could all share some of the really cool positives that come out of having surgery. For me, it's shoes. I can wear heels now and I love them. The higher the better. Before, I could only wear flats and my feet still hurt all the time - no wonder, having to support 386 lbs. I love wearing pretty shoes now. Oh, and pretty dresses. Now that I don't feel like a blob any more, I love them!

What has been fun or cool or exciting for you?

Replies

• duffslove
    duffslove Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Yes, I love wearing dresses now..my husband loves that he gets to see me in them now too..lol

I love that I can work out at the gym with my kids and husband now and play volleyball with them!

I love that I can go to any restaurant and be able to sit in even the skinniest of booths without any part of my chest or stomach resting on or touching the table top, there is so much room now ...that was always so embarrassing, felt like I was in a sardine can at some!

And sometimes, I hear a fun song and just spontaneously break out in dance for a few min, never did that before, was always too embarrassed of my size to move like that in front of anyone, even myself..lol
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I love being able to shop in 'normal' stores! I enjoy having to choose a belt based on what the buckle looks like. I never had to worry because no one would ever see my belt buckle!

I like being able to get around people in full conference rooms without having to have them scoot in fo rme to get behind them. I laugh when i still size up an exit path before realizing I don't need to anymore.

I love having people do a double take when the see me for the first time in a while. I am just about done with that, because most people have now seen the newly shaped me, but I still love it when it happens.

More energy to do things with my kids, I am constantly amazed at how much less I sweat, either exercising or not. Taking a golf trip to Seattle (that I've wanted to take for ten years) because I finally wasn't intimidated by the thought of the flight.

So many good things! Thanks for putting a smile on my face this morning with this topic!

Rob
  • gldngrl7
    gldngrl7 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm almost five months out and I'm 87 lbs down since my initial surgical consultation. Here are my weight loss positives...

-- heels!
    -- working all day and still having the energy to work out when I get home.
    -- fitting into chairs with arms!
    -- fitting into booths at the restaurant!
    -- crossing my legs (I was just able to do that for the first time in forever last week)
    --watching the stack of clothes to donate grow and grow
    -- being able to tie my sneakers without having to twist myself into impossible positions to reach the laces.
    -- my skin feels 20 years younger (it's supple and glowing!!!!)
    -- being able to chase after my BFF's toddler
    -- I just generally love that I can eat a small amount of food and feel satisfied.
    -- I love that my thoughts aren't constantly veering towards food. I can go hours without thinking about that stuff.
    -- fitting into leather jacket that's been hanging on a hanger for 3 years (can't wait for Fall)
    -- muscles in my arms!

That's all I can think of right now but I'm sure there are more to come.

• TN_Tinker
    TN_Tinker Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    MIRRORS!
    I used to avoid them. I hated them!They were the enemy.
    Now I like to dress in front of them. I love what I see. I change clothes more often just because I know I am going to like what I see. I know that sounds vain, but I can't help it. It just plain feels good to put on something cute that I would have before admired on someone else.
  • blairmundy
    blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    -hugs where arms go all the way around
    -going on rides/slides with weight limits
    -playing sports and being able to at least sort of keep up
    -fitting into an actual sport swimsuit made for swimming (like a speedo brand) so the back clasp things don't rub your shoulder blades raw
    -shopping at thrift stores and saving tons of money
    -not waking up with plantar faciitis
    -climbing a flight or two of stairs without feeling like I'm in slow motion
    -getting in and out of the car
    -sleeping on my stomach
    -being able to cross my legs when I sit
    -being willing to walk places instead of drive all the time
    -not being reliant on caffeine since I can no longer drink diet coke
    -being up for an adventure most of the time
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Clothes shopping
    Shoe shopping
    Compliments about my looks
    Crossing my legs
    Fitting into all the rides at the amusement park
    Fitting into a regular airplane seat with no seat belt extension
    Feet and knees not hurting
    Riding bikes, hiking, whatever I want to do
    Wearing heels
    Riding on back of motorcycle with my husband
    Not worrying whether I'll fit in a chair, a booth, a ride
    Having people actually hold the door open for me
    Feeling good in my own skin :)
  • murphyraven
    murphyraven Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I enjoy photos of me now, and I'm only halfway to goal.
    Shopping at thrift shops is fun now. I can find things that fit and are cute. (and cheap!)
    My energy is so much better, I don't get winded walking up a flight of stairs.
    I can cross my legs comfortably.
    I can sit indian style.
    What are those things!? oh! collarbones :D
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Giving up my seat belt extender in my car and no longer needing one in any car
    Shopping where I want to instead of just Lane Bryant, the local large lady store and catalogs
    Being able to purchase clothing when we go on vacation, like a t-shirt from the Grand Canyon
    Being able to do things like hike the rim of the canyon - never would have been able to prior to WLS
    Hugs where the arms fit all the way around me
    Being in the pictures rather than just taking them
    Being able to walk for hours while siteseeing or antiquing
    Being able to go up stairs
    Being able to go down stairs (getiing down from the 10th floor when the fire alarm went off used to be scary)
    Being skinny, well at least from the collar bones up - And collar bones! Forgot I had those!
  • paul87920
    paul87920 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    More endurance, comfortable flights, sitting in my bathtub instead of taking a shower, and oh my freaking God the clothing options! The clothing options my friend. I spend about as much on clothes these days as I did on food beforehand. It's getting out of hand.
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Knowing clothes will fit. Being excited to take my kids to disney world this fall and be confident I can keep up and ride eith thrm. Knowing I will fit on an airplane. Not being known as to fat mom at my kids school. Having the confidence to hang out with my family at an outdoor public pool
  • lenac87
    lenac87 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Love this thread! Thank you for posting! I have been a little down lately and it's great to be reminded of all of the positives :) Some of my favorites so far are... fitting in the seat on airplanes and at theaters, clothes shopping off of the clearance racks and in general, being able to fit in the rides at the amusement park, not getting winded while going for a hike, and being able to squeeze into tight places at work to be able to help my patients (I'm a nurse).
  • garber6th
    Options
    paul87920 wrote: »
    More endurance, comfortable flights, sitting in my bathtub instead of taking a shower, and oh my freaking God the clothing options! The clothing options my friend. I spend about as much on clothes these days as I did on food beforehand. It's getting out of hand.

I have the same problem with clothes and shoes!! I actually put myself on restriction for the month of July lol - no clothes or shoes! I can also relate to taking baths - I used to cause bathtub tidal waves from the suction when I would get out of the tub. Now there is actually room!

Everything everyone has posted has been so great! I can really relate to just about all of it!

• gardendoc
    gardendoc Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Clothes off the sales rack
    Going from 4XL to XL shirts
    Extra energy
    Making new notches in my belts every month (won't buy a new belt, all the extra is constant encouragement to keep it up)
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    LOVE this idea!!

Ok... so for me, it is about being able to SHOW UP more for my life--- I can live with less fear-- fear of breaking chairs, fitting in booths, being able to walk as far as I might need to, being able to fit in airplane seats, being able to feel good about having my picture taken-- ALL of it. I also have to admit-- even after over a year of being able to do it, I still get a little thrill EVERY time I cross my legs. Every. Time. Probably, because I was unable to do it for my entire life until now. :)

Other stuff... having a smaller stomach/less overpowering hunger gives me hope that over the long term, food will have less and less power in my life. It can take its natural place and be "right-sized" instead of being this huge issue. I am not "there" yet, but I am getting there!
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    What a great topic!
    1. Having my significant partner tell me how proud he is of me for making this tool work for me
    2. Heels
    3. More clothing options
    4. Feeling good about myself, finally
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Looks like I should try out some high heels, sounds like they make people happy!
  • garber6th
    Options
    rpyle111 wrote: »
    Looks like I should try out some high heels, sounds like they make people happy!

If you do, you are required to post pictures :-)

• Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »

^^^^THIS^^^^ :)
  • boomerkae
    boomerkae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Thaeda wrote: »
    garber6th wrote: »

^^^^THIS^^^^ :)

Now you must do it, Rob!!
  • boomerkae
    boomerkae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    For me...
    Discovering a new me, not just a body I've never known (holla collarbones!) But figuring out who I am with new confidence
    Not ruining shirts with fallen food. My husband used to tease me that I'd drop something every time I ate. I blamed it on food hitting boob and stomach before it could find the plate. Nothing hits my shirt anymore!
    Encouraging others! My kids now want to take walks and break out in pushups and squats...even if I have to tell them a restaurant is not the time or place. My husband didn't lose anything during my loss, and now is asking me to help him.
    Thrift shopping and handme downs!
    Dress clothes!
    Crossing my legs everywhere
    Being able to get my heel on the seat in a car. It actually is comfortable while waiting for the school bus!
    I have narcolepsy so I don't always have more energy, but feel I have more endurance. I can do an activity longer than before.