Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Favorite Firefly episode?

2»

Replies

• iconnor
    iconnor Posts: 90 Member
    This one hasn't been mentioned yet, but the flashback where it goes back to how the crew all met and where Firefly was bought, etc. One of my favs. :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    This one hasn't been mentioned yet, but the flashback where it goes back to how the crew all met and where Firefly was bought, etc. One of my favs. :)
    Actually I believe that's in the ep "Out of Gas" - mentioned above, and one of my faves. :smile:
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Spoiler Alert: Do not read if you have not seen the episode "Out of Gas"

Enough people have posted that they have actually liked the episode "Out of Gas" I feel I should post the rationality that brought me to the conclusion that is a just a terrible episode. I recognize that I am only posting my opinion and no matter how justified my opinion may be I accept that I may not change any minds here. If you still like this episode it does not make you stupid or anything like that. I just happen to hate this episode and I feel "Firefly" is such a great series an explanation is in order.

You see an injured captain dragging himself through the ship. You immediately want to know how things got this way. The cause of their problems is an inexpensive and simple to get part that has malfunctioned and it plays a role in the ships ability to create oxygen and that puts the crew in to a bad spot.

I loved the flashbacks because they didn't just rehash stuff that we already saw. They showed how he ended up picking the ship and we also got to see how people ended up joining the crew. I thought Jayne's joining of the crew was hilarious in fact.

Eventually the captain decides his crew has a better chance if they hop in to shuttles and just fly off without him. They just don't have enough seats for everyone and the captain made the best call that he could. They left a button so that is the captain found a way to fix the ship he could call the shuttles back.

Then another ship found him. I had thought that this episode would be the one that would show that good people do still exist and that sometimes even the captain of the firefly would need a little bit of help. If that was the ending that they went with I would have probably said this episode was among the best.

If I stopped here you would think I loved this episode unfortunately they had some complete idiot take over toward the end.

This other ship shows up with the part and the captain proves to them that they are not walking in to an ambush. He offers them stuff from his cargo hold to pay for the part and it could have been a great ending but no. They tell him that they just want to steal the ship and the shoot the captain. They could just kill the captain now but they don't.

The captain gets to his gun and just tells them all to leave the part and get off the ship. Now even though they have every advantage over the injured captain they literally just leave him the part and fly away. It was like these two dimensional villains were literally just written in to the story to deliver this part to the captain.

The captain gets the part in so the ship can fix the oxygen problem but his gun shot wound is too much for him and he fails to make to the button to call the crew back. But that is alright because the writers decided to have the crew just go ahead and come back to the ship which they believe has no oxygen on it anyways just because.

The primary problem with this episode is that it had such potential. It brings to a very high peak and you can see so much promise and they they just drop you right off the edge. The contrast between the beginning of the episode and the ending is so huge that it makes me wonder if another writer really did take over when it came time to put an ending on this.

There was no reason whatsoever for those villains to fail at taking over that ship. They could have said "Be right Back" and took the part to their own ship and let the captain suffocate. They could have shot him a second time. They could have simple beat the captain down and took him prisoner. The only thing that would not make sense would be for them to non-fatally shoot the captain and then just leave the part and fly away and yet that is what they had these jack holes do.
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,638 Member
    The Message is on the top of my list. for me the less River the better the episode. Didn't mine crazy River, but didn't care for "Mary Sue/deus ex machina" River.
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Holy impossible... Man....so hard to pick:/

Jaynestown cuz it makes me laugh and Out of Gas because it makes me cry..
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    I refuse to watch the final episode....
  • soldier4242
    I refuse to watch the final episode....

Doesn't that just mean that the second to last episode is the final episode for you?
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    The Train Job.... nothing will ever beat this exchange:

Jayne: You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here. Now we're finishing this deal, and then maybe, *maybe* we'll come back for those morons who got themselves caught. You can't change that by getting all... bendy.

Wash: All what?

Jayne: You've got the - the light from the console... keep you, lift you up. They shine like... *grabs at air* little angels... *falls on face*

Wash: Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

Simon: I told him to sit down.

Pee myself laughing EVERY TIME
  • soldier4242
    What was that episode where the badass black chick was telling a new recruit "Never let the enemy know where you are." and then immediately after she says that the captain comes bursting in shooting at people behind him yelling "Here I am! Here I am!" then she tells the new guy "There are other schools of thought."

I laughed so hard at that scene I spit up my Pepsi.

That would be The Message :D

What'd y'all order a dead guy for?

You are wonderful I wish I knew you in real life.

:D

My children are called Serenity and Kaylee. If it weren't for firefly they would not have names!

While this isn't a firefly reference. I have two kittens and their names are TARDIS and Rose.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    I'd like to meet the people who are capable of deciding.
    I am not one of those people.

... maybe Jaynestown.

ETA: My kid was born too early to have been named after any Firefly characters, but he's 16 now and he loves the show as much as I do. Last year he was 14 and was cosplaying Simon Tam at Dragon*Con as part of our Firefly group, where Sean Maher was signing autographs. My son has high functioning autism and is very very very shy, but he wanted to get Sean's autograph. Sean immediately recognized his costume and flipped out telling him how great it was. Then he wrote like a paragraph on the autograph telling my son to keep up the good work and follow his dreams and thanks for being such a great Simon. My son was so happy. It was so sweet and it was seriously a highlight of the convention for him.
  • Gestahl
    Gestahl Posts: 110 Member
    It's really an injustice to place one episode above the rest, but for me, my most fond memories are of Jaynestown... Jayne was simultaneously my favorite and least favorite Serenity crew member, so that episode was extra-special.
  • notenoughspeed
    notenoughspeed Posts: 290 Member
    This is a tough decision. They all are great episodes. I'd have to say that Our Mrs Reynolds was my favorite. Funny how the captain never got it when the companion passed out too. :)
  • soldier4242
    This is a tough decision. They all are great episodes. I'd have to say that Our Mrs Reynolds was my favorite. Funny how the captain never got it when the companion passed out too. :)

I think that episode is why Trash is my favorite. In "Our Mrs. Reynolds" all the character history is already established for all the major players in "Trash" which makes is possible for it to kick off with a lot of momentum. I do have to say that if I were the captain I probably would not have been able hold out as long he did resisting her. That chick was hot.
  • KinzieElise
    KinzieElise Posts: 584 Member
    It's a hard choice but the episode I would have to say is my favorite is Jaynestown. It's one of the funnier ones and I like the little bit of background on Jayne.
  • notenoughspeed
    notenoughspeed Posts: 290 Member

I think that episode is why Trash is my favorite. In "Our Mrs. Reynolds" all the character history is already established for all the major players in "Trash" which makes is possible for it to kick off with a lot of momentum. I do have to say that if I were the captain I probably would not have been able hold out as long he did resisting her. That chick was hot.

Amen to that brutha. I love a companion.. I don't pay though. :)
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    So difficult! Hmm. I'd have to say it's a tie between Shindig and Out of Gas. I loved seeing Malcolm and Kaylee at the party. But I loved the introduction of all the characters in Out of Gas. I always enjoy episodes (of any show) that give back stories. I feel like I just get immersed into the world even more with the history of characters. And they did it perfectly for each person.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Ok it's really hard to decide on favorite episodes they were all sonawesome. However, I love jebel Early. He was such a great character and when the Simon says "my sister's a ship, we had a complicated childhood"

Also gotta love the episode with Nathan Fillion in a bonnet :)