Meat peddler

Options
katejkelley
katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
I just wanted to share a funny story. I was walking my dog yesterday in our hilltop neighborhood. A guy in a truck (siding advertised meat products) stopped to ask if I'd be interested in buying meat from him. I said, "I'm a vegan." He responded, "Really, why'd you want to do that?!" (Keep in mind this guy was probably in his 20's and at least 50 pounds overweight.) I said, "Well, I think it's healthier for me." He just blinked a few times then went into his spiel about their home-grown beef and pork products. I was standing in the middle of the road with my dog - even if I did want to buy from him, I certainly wouldn't do it while on a walk! Anyway, I said, "None for me, thank you." He told me he'd be back in about 4 months if I changed my mind. Now, why would I want to do that?

Replies

• deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    We have meat peddlers that come to our door every once in a while. Every time I say, no thanks I am vegan. And every time I can tell they think I am making it up just to avoid buying their stuff!

Even if I did eat meat, I would be very leery about buying it from someone randomly selling it from the back of their truck. Who knows where it has come from, or how it has been stored, etc??? Ewwwww
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I live in Texas and EVERYONE gives me crap about not eating meat.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Those guys are something else! My husband & I were loading my two propane grill tanks into the back of my car. A truck pulls up with a large freezer/cooler in back and asks if we are getting ready to grill some steaks, because he's got a "surplus". Yes, steaks, door-to-door! Aside from the multitude of things wrong with this, does anyone actually buy steaks from a stranger out of the back of a truck? So my husband says, "No thanks, we're vegetarian!" Great answer, right? Yeah, except HE'S NOT vegetarian, only my kids & I are!! HAHA! He looks at me, like he's pretty proud of himself (POSER!) So the guy kind of looks like he's not buying it... now mind you I don't blame him - hubby weighs about 215 & I'm 300, so I could see the wheels turning, like, "Man, they eat a crap-ton of vegetables!" So the guy asks how long we've been vegetarian & we both say 3 1/2 years, which adds some credibility, right? So he just sits there watching us, then he says, "Great news, half price for vegetarians!" HA!
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    It's so funny how meat eaters can't imagine life without meat and think we're making some sort of great sacrifice. I don't miss it at all! I don't think I ever really liked meat - it was just always something I had to eat - you know, to "get protein". Now I feel freed because I don't have to eat it!