Holistic Wellness Challenge

Options
Elizabeth_in_MN
Elizabeth_in_MN Posts: 167 Member
Hello!

Inskydiamonds started a challenge a while back that I found to be beneficial for me as it was focused on more than just weight. She is now studying like a fiend for the Bar and has given a blessing to start challenges related to hers. I have modified her challenge a bit but this is largely her baby!

If you want to sign up comment on this post! We will officially start MONDAY, June 24th.

Then every week thereafter (until September 2nd) participants will report the following in a topic I will post:

- Number of days you drink 8 cups of water(3 points):
- Number of days you have 2 (1/2c) servings of fruit (3 points):
- Number of days you have 3 (1/2c) servings of vegetables (5 points):
- Number of days you avoid refined sugary snacks (5 points):
- Number of days you log all food consumed in your MFP food diary (5 points):
- Number of days you exercise for 30 minutes of exercise (5 points):
- Number of days you exercised for 45+ minutes (7 points a day):
- Number of days you practiced additional self-care* (7 points):
- Number of pounds lost (10 points per pound):
- If you maintained your weight (5 points):
- If you gained weight (0 points):

*For this challenge, self-care is defined as any non-exercize, non- food related event that rejuvenates your soul. It may mean a bath by candle light, meditation, stretching, getting your nails painted, tai chi, camping in a tent in your backyard, reading a book, religious practice, going to pet puppies, saying "no", calling a friend or family member, or whatever does your soul good.

We are using an honor system (pftt - I'm not checking in on you...you are the one trying to be healthier, right?).

THIS STARTS MONDAY, 6/24 (so start tracking on Monday the 24th and report your first week on July 1). We will go 10 weeks, reporting our last week on Labor day (September 2nd).

So long as you continue to post your numbers, YOU WILL NOT BE DROPPED. Holistic health is a long term challenge, so we will have a winner in the end, but getting back on that horse after a rough week is incredibly important! For me, anyway, I need to have opportunity to be able to wax and wain in the short term and still be healthy long term.

If you want to sign up, simply respond below and start tracking on Monday!!

Replies

• doin_it
    doin_it Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I am in...:)
  • jcramer1227
    jcramer1227 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I will give it a shot :D I need something to get me back in it after this last week.
  • MileHighTexan
    MileHighTexan Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to it!
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    I might not be able to run the challenge, but I sure can join it! I'm in :)
  • mousemom18
    mousemom18 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm in. I'd be interested in people's suggestions for self-love activities
  • sdbart
    sdbart Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am in!!!!
  • Wraiythe
    Wraiythe Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Well, heck yeah I'm in!
  • azmiz
    azmiz Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm in....thanks for starting this challenge!
  • BrainOnAStick
    BrainOnAStick Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I sheepishly raise my hand and say, "I'm in."
  • karen_golfs
    karen_golfs Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'm in! Thanks Elizabeth.
  • JulieB_MN
    JulieB_MN Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'll join in:)
  • BrainOnAStick
    BrainOnAStick Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    There was a question about examples of "self-care." My "self-care" includes (but is not limited to) reading for pleasure, journaling, meditating, giving myself a pedicure, and/or knitting.
  • Wraiythe
    Wraiythe Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Reading in a nice warm bath. A nice walk in the woods. I just realized I don't really do a lot of self love stuff. Heck, _I_ need some examples!
  • Elizabeth_in_MN
    Options
    I'm so stoked! Thank you so much for trying it out (and for the example, inskydiamonds) and the encouragement to continue it (I loved the supportive push on my page).

The examples I have for self care are above (a bath by candle light, meditation, painting nails, tai chi, camping in a tent, reading a book, spiritial and religious practices, petting puppies, saying "no", calling a friend, calling a family member) but I also have some others that I know are coming up for me. Here are some of my recent self-care activities:

I said "yes" to going to Massachusetts to spend the weekend with my former cohort.
    I bought a groupon to do a hot air balloon ride
    I found a dog (not self care) and then found it a home (self care -totally taking care of my own mental health on that one!)
    I played with Legos
    Gave myself 30 minutes to leisurely plan next week's menu
    Wrote a letter to a friend
    Bought a $4 bunch of flowers for my kitchen
    Stopped work an hour early on friday because I finished everything that was necessary
    Get my hair cut and colored (ahhhhhh)

I'll be honest with you...I find I do more self-care when I being it to my own attention. Some things i would do and not be aware that theyare selfcare. There is much power in awareness (as MFP knows....that food log is crazy simple but SO powerful!)
  • SandraJN
    SandraJN Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I'm in.
  • LuckBeWithU
    LuckBeWithU Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Count Me In...
  • Elizabeth_in_MN
    Options
    Doing a practice here to see if I can post charts without having to go look up all sorts of craziness.

ScreenShot2013-06-23at103552PM_zps069207b7.png
  • Elizabeth_in_MN
    Options
    errrr....stil trying to learn how to post a photo.

ScreenShot2013-06-23at104432PM_zpsf0dfe4d9.png
  • Elizabeth_in_MN
    Options
    I think I have it!
  • Dreamermoth
    Dreamermoth Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Just seen this Elizabeth, I would love to be 'in'. Is it too late?