Recovering from anorexia

Options
I just recently found out that I suffer from an anorexia eating disorder. I have only been like this for a few months, so I would like to recover before it gets worse.

I am 5'5 and 105 pounds, which is considered underweight. I am constantly weighing myself, and even though I know I am supposed to be gaining weight, whenever I see that number on the scale rising, I get scared and I try to lose the weight I gained.

Replies

• Byronic_Ryu
    Byronic_Ryu Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Did you find out that you suffer from anorexia from your own research or was it by a professional such as a doctor? The reason why I ask is because it might be helpful for you to have a third party involved in the healing process. I had anorexia when I was about 11 years old. I remember how alone and destroyed I felt. I didn't have it too long, only less than a year, but I still have issues revolving around food. It has been cathartic for me to speak to someone(s) who can help me explore what led to this and what I can do to keep myself well.

Right now it has been difficult since I became disabled with a chronic pain illness and gained about 55 lbs and 8 dress sizes. I come from a culture that is very "anti-fat" and most of my family has not coped with my illness and weight gain very well. I have a small group of people who are supportive and empathetic. They remind me of all that I have accomplished and the good qualities that help make me who I am. I try my best to be aware that I have an identity outside my weight. I use the WRAP booklet to help me list any symptoms and solutions to help cope with anything that can led to a downward spiral. Whenever I am frustrated by my weight situation, I try to put all that anger, hurt, and despair into energy for my disability treatment. So far, it has been working.

I wish you the best and if you are in need of support, you can message me.