Regrouping

Options
garber6th
garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
I saw my surgeon Friday, for the first time in almost a year. I've gone up about 9 pounds. (I refuse to change it on my profile because I am going to change this.) He attributed it to several things - I have gained muscle; I am starting to go through the change (yay) and I my cycle is insane. My gyno has me on progesterone to see if that gets things on track for me, so that contributes a bit as well; my commute kills my day, I spend about 2 1/2 to 3 hours driving daily as opposed to about half an hour at my last job; I know I have been a bit, let's say, experimental with some foods, so I will totally take responsibility for that; I don't sleep enough during the week; another BIG thing is this - in the first year or so after surgery, I HAD to eat 5 small meals a day just to get in my protein. I continued to eat that way even after I was able to eat more and got some hunger back. I realized a few weeks ago (yeah, I'm a bit slow on the uptake!) that this wasn't a good strategy for me any more. So, I went from 5 small meals to 3 small meals and 2 small snacks. My surgeon is totally on board with this. He also told me to keep my calories around 1300. He also wants me to mix up/step up my exercise. So, I am going to regroup, do a lot of meal planning, figure out how to squeeze in more exercise, and get enough rest. I know so many people feel that having surgery is hard, making the initial changes is hard, but for me, this is the hard part - figuring out how to live with this tool the rest of my life, and what my new normal has to be!

Replies

• rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Good luck as you find your way. I am just into maintenance but find it hard to find my new normal as well.

Rob
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »
    I know so many people feel that having surgery is hard, making the initial changes is hard, but for me, this is the hard part - figuring out how to live with this tool the rest of my life, and what my new normal has to be!

YES-- THIS^^^^^ I feel you... I am constantly experimenting trying to find my "groove". Regain can just be a part of the process to figuring out what works and what doesn't. I think your plan to get more rest is awesome. Meal planning too, as it might help you get more nutritive options in as much as possible to get your body back on track. You have lots going on-- be gentle with yourself and know you are doing the very best you can--- and it is good enough. <3
  • Stephaniev51697
    Stephaniev51697 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Wow, your post hit home for me. I've been "experimenting" with slider foods and not really exercising as I should.. I've stalled since June, but really since January because I'd go back and forth with the same 5lbs. I've really got to recommit to breaking the bad habits I've let come back in, and to the 3 healthy meals and 2 small healthy snacks as well as get some kind of exercise in each day, even if it's just walking the track while my son's football team is practicing instead of sitting in the car for 2 hours facebooking while I'm waiting for him to finish. Thanks for this wake up call (post). It's good to know that there are other people in the same position.
  • lenac87
    lenac87 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have a great plan in place! I've been slacking lately too and have been stalled for 2 months now bouncing between 167-169 and my goal is 165, I need to take your advice and do what I know needs to be done and get myself back on track! Thanks for the post :)
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Yes this totally hits home. I've gained about 30 pounds and I know my habits (both eating and exercising) aren't as stellar as they were in the first year. Trying to get back on track myself.
  • paul87920
    paul87920 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I saw my surgeon Friday, for the first time in almost a year. I've gone up about 9 pounds. (I refuse to change it on my profile because I am going to change this.) He attributed it to several things - I have gained muscle; I am starting to go through the change (yay) and I my cycle is insane.

Part of it could be water weight. I can fluctuate throughout the day. This might be TMI, but one of the issues I have is that I don't end up using the bathroom as often as I did before. You said, you're experimenting with foods, and chances are that it's sitting in your colon or just isn't digesting as easily as it did before. Are you staying at the same clothing size? Try taking a tape measure and putting more stock into that because you can drive yourself nuts with numbers.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    paul87920 wrote: »
    I saw my surgeon Friday, for the first time in almost a year. I've gone up about 9 pounds. (I refuse to change it on my profile because I am going to change this.) He attributed it to several things - I have gained muscle; I am starting to go through the change (yay) and I my cycle is insane.

Part of it could be water weight. I can fluctuate throughout the day. This might be TMI, but one of the issues I have is that I don't end up using the bathroom as often as I did before. You said, you're experimenting with foods, and chances are that it's sitting in your colon or just isn't digesting as easily as it did before. Are you staying at the same clothing size? Try taking a tape measure and putting more stock into that because you can drive yourself nuts with numbers.

I am the same clothing size, and my doctor said the same thing basically as what you said - if my clothes are still fitting, don't pay too much attention to the scale. Since I do want to lose a bit more though, I am definitely paying SOME attention to the scale, and how my clothes fit. I am not one to weigh myself every day though, maybe every couple of weeks. I know that weight can really fluctuate due to all kinds of factors!

I tolerate veggies and fruit really well and I try to incorporate them into my diet daily. It definitely helps me stay regular, but I do think that almost everyone deals with "bathroom issues" after surgery.

I have to go through some trial and error, but I will eventually get it all sorted out!
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    \
    I have to go through some trial and error, but I will eventually get it all sorted out!

Yes, you will!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Dale, a lot of this sounds just like my 4 year check up, the advice I was given by the nutritionist too. I'm not ready for maintenance, my body might be since it's still refusing to give up any weight, but I've found experimenting and regaining is just way too easy. Sounds like you have a good plan and I'm walking right there with you in this. Sounds like several of us are. Hang in there and update us when you can.

PS - I didn't change the weight on my profile with my regain either for the same reason. I'm determined to get those pounds off and then some.