Getting sleeved in October!!

Options
penkon
penkon Posts: 16 Member
Hi guys! :smile:
Would love to hear anyones story about their sleeve weight loss journey!

Replies

• gin3104
    gin3104 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had my surgery August 18, 2015 in tijuana, Mexico. Surgery went very well. I am on the soft food stage and it's going really good so far.
  • cbuckland663
    cbuckland663 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You've made it to the other side. I just joined the group this morning and I am excited to make some new friends.
    How are things going today? How was your experience in MX? I'm having my surgery in Cleveland, OH in late November/early December so right now I am just concentrating on losing as much weight as I can before then and making all my pre-op Dr appts. I have 7 appointments in September and praying that I get clearance from everyone.

Again, congratulations and I hope you are doing better with each day. Cindy
  • heathergshea
    heathergshea Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I had VSG on 4/27/15 and I am down 80lbs (well almost! Lol) loving my decision to have wls!!
  • dsaidydaffeh
    dsaidydaffeh Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just got my surgery date of October 19th. I am both scared and excited and would love to hear any advice you can give!
  • heathergshea
    heathergshea Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The hardest part for me right after surgery was the gas pain in my shoulder. Walk alot and as soon as you can. I also got very sick of drinking protein shakes and broth to the point of tears. That being said...looking back it was such a small amount of time in the grand scheme of things that I would do it all again a million times over. I have about 40 or so pounds to goal. To be in striking distance of a "normal" weight is something I never thought possible. I DO NOW!
  • ronni61983
    ronni61983 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just got my surgery date of October 19th. I am both scared and excited and would love to hear any advice you can give!

I'm having surgery the same day!!!!

• GoDasher
    GoDasher Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    @dsaidydaffeh - I'm scheduled for the 14th. I saw someone else in the group is on the 15th. Looking forward to hearing about everyone's experiences as we go through this together.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    That would be me on the 15th! Official day 2 of my pre-diet, unofficial day 4.

I quasi started over the weekend, but had some things I needed to get rid of because I didn't want to throw them out. ;) Unfortunately, this is my bloated time of the month, so it will take about a week to see how much I'm really losing on the mostly liquid diet. My pre-diet is five Carnation Essential, No Sugar Added shakes with skim milk, plus a limited list of other foods that can equal 250 calories. Yay! Tons of food! So far, the worst part has been the headache I've had since Sunday afternoon. If that goes away, I'll be golden!

Tomorrow is my final pre-op appointment with the surgeon, nurse, and nutritionist. Not sure what we could possibly be going over that hasn't been covered already! (I know I could use a lot of review on the post diet...)

Good luck to all, so glad there seems to be a group all going together, that way we can really support each other with, "No, it's not just you...same exact here." :wink:
  • GoDasher
    Options
    In pre-op diet and I'm not eating enough. It's 12:30 now and all I have had is a meal replacement shake and sunflower seeds. (Ok, the seeds are probably not on the diet, but I eat them to keep me awake at my boring job). But now I feel nauseous, which can be a symptom of under eating. I know I need to go to the cafeteria and pick up some chicken & veggies, but it doesn't even sound good. I'm almost afraid to stand up! :wink:
  • GoDasher
    Options
    Well, there you go. Three small bites of chicken and I puked it all up. I think I will have another Premier shake. Maybe just a few ounces at a time. I also have some "Sonic ice" which is somewhat soothing.

So that is a question about regions of the continent (I've seen some Canadians here!) - do you know what "Sonic ice" is? :smiley:
  • NicoleL874
    Options
    I'm near Chicago, no clue what Sonic Ice is.
    What is the format of your pre-op diet? Did they give you atrict instructions?
  • GoDasher
    Options
    LOL - Sonic Ice! You know Sonic Drive-In? At least here they all use pebble ice, the little pellets that are easy to chew. Sonic was founded/HQ in Oklahoma so here we call that Sonic Ice. The cafeteria at my office uses it. And I found out not too long ago that the kitchen/breakroom in the floor above mine also has it in their new icemaker!

Pre-op for 11 days is somewhat strict:
    Breakfast - meal replacement shake
    Snack - high protein snack
    Lunch - 1/2 meal replacement shake, 2-4 oz lean protein, 1 cup raw or 1/2 cup steamed veg
    Snack - high protein snack
    Dinner - 1/2 meal replacement shake, 2-4 oz lean protein, 1 cup raw or 1/2 cup steamed veg

Last 3 days:
    Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner - meal replacement shake
    Snack - Clear liquid, can include Nectar protein with Crystal Light

Basically the first 11 days is to reduce the size of your liver. The last three days is to "clean you out", to put it nicely.

I will not know until Tuesday afternoon what time my surgery is on Wednesday. It is about a 2 hour drive to the hospital. I have plans Tuesday night - NBA preseason game! - so depending on what time we may or may not drive down the night before. They did say they would try not to put me down for the earliest time.

How did your appointment go yesterday?
  • NicoleL874
    Options
    Oh. Sonic can't seem to stay open around here...and I can't ingest corn, and those things are hfcs. I get so stinking sick from hfcs.

Wow, I almost would have rather been on your diet pre-op! Mine is 10 days, 750 calories in protein shakes, 75 grams of protein, and up to 250 calories of fruits and vegetables. They want us to keep it as close to 750 as possible.

My appointment this morning was ok. They went over all the same info...again. So, I sat and smiled, and did my time, paid them, and drove my 40 minutes home.

Now, I keep doing what I'm doing for the next week. Next Thursday, arrival is 2:45pm, surgery is 4:45pm. I hate waiting. :wink:
  • lori7041
    lori7041 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I had my sleeve done 6 weeks ago now and am down 3 sizes! Would be interested in adding friends here for support. Thanks
  • GoDasher
    Options
    lori7041 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I had my sleeve done 6 weeks ago now and am down 3 sizes! Would be interested in adding friends here for support. Thanks

That is why I am waiting to look for something to wear to my niece's wedding - looking either in my closet or the store. I got the invitation this week and although there is dinner & dancing, the wedding is at 3:00. That changes what I might wear, not so much evening-wear.
  • GoDasher
    Options
    NicoleL874 wrote: »
    Oh. Sonic can't seem to stay open around here...and I can't ingest corn, and those things are hfcs. I get so stinking sick from hfcs.:

Totally, everything there is fried! I ordered a grilled chicken sandwich once. . . once. I took it off the bun as I was off bread that week. Nasty. And I had a bad McD salad experience. :(
  • penkon
    penkon Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Oh i can't wait for post op!! Mines in 19 days now.. but this preop diet really sucks balls! But it is what it is :):)
  • NicoleL874
    Options
    How long is your pre-op diet? 10 days is long enough! lol
  • milaortiz30
    milaortiz30 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    hey hey. i got sleeved oct 7th. im down 18lbs in 19 days. the post op diet sucks *kitten* but then it's not too bad. the gas pain is the worst part. i had no pre-op diet. you don't get hungry at all but you really have to learn to eat a different way. but not getting hungry helps a lot. best of luck to you!
  • milaortiz30
    milaortiz30 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    ps my whole surgery experience is on bariatricpal - :)