Cardio Versus Strength...Help?!

Options
BrittanyBrines
BrittanyBrines Posts: 144 Member
I have a question, I am trying to get in as much cardio as I can (some days I have to literally force myself to two youtube zumba songs...two...but I figured it's better than nothing). I find that it is so much easier for me to do strength training. I love doing thigh, leg, arm, and ab workouts and can do those almost every day (I wait 24 hours before working the same muscle group though). My question is, should I really try to focus more on cardio, or doing my strength often okay enough to help keep me fit during my pregnancy? After the 4th, my husband is doing the Master Cleanse for 25 days, so for myself, I am planning a great clean eating menu full of good proteins, non processed, low carb, meals and will be eating 6-8 meals a day. We already have a great diet now, but I want to get quite strict for the month of July. I have read that building muscle helps burn calories throughout the day where as cardio only burns calories in the moment. What would your tips be? Should I really try to get in more cardio or should I just focus on my strength? My end result is healthy baby gain while staying lean, fit, and toned. I want to prevent cellulite and any access weight gain. With my previous pregnancy, I gained within the normal range, but didn't really exercise during the pregnancy. The weight came off okay, but there was no real muscle tone and even though I weighed less, I looked "flabby." I want to look toned this time before and after I have the baby. Suggestions? Thanks ladies!! Really appreciate!

Replies

• BrittanyBrines
    BrittanyBrines Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Well the good news is that lifting weights also can be a form of cardio especially if you get your heart rate up. The odds of building muscle when pregnant are pretty slim though thanks to that pesky estrogen ocean is preggies are swimming in. Luckily for us though, muscle has a great memory. I say as long as it makes you happy and you are being safe, keep at it. I follow the very famous Jamie Eason on Facebook. She is a figure competitor and she is also 34 weeks pregnant. She said that during her first trimester she didn't really change her workouts at all but did them when she had the energy. In the second trimester, she skipped out on deep squats and did lower weight/higher reps (great cardio). The last trimester has been walking and home improvements. I think listening to your body is huge....do what feels comfortable. I haven't been to the gym once in the last 12 weeks (severe MS) but when I do finally get back in there, I will be hitting the weights (although it will be a bit lighter than before) and doing some simple cardio like walking or maybe a DVD. I loved water aerobics in my last pregnancy.
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I think both are very important, especially during pregnancy. I personally think the lifting is helping me the most, but I do make sure to get in at least 30 minutes of cardio pretty much every day. I am 24 weeks today and following a three day split very similar to what Jaime Eason does on her Livefit program. I have not modified much, but I do have to go to my knees for pushups now. I actually increased the weights on several of my sets in the last few weeks. I am not sure I am building muscle, but I am confident I am not losing it. All of my measurements are still the same, so I am thinking it is a success so far!