Food questions for veteran sleevers

Options
2»

Replies

• DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    2 years out (this month) and I have very little difficulty with food. I avoid most rice and pasta dishes as they fill me very quickly with little nutritional value (though I do like an occasional serving).
    • Carbination causes an uncomfortable bloated feeling. Limits my beer choices (no light beers) - no soda at all.
    • Heavy breads and bagles go down like rocks
    • Unflavored water makes me nauseous unless it's a premium bottled brand (Smart Water). I need to put a bit of lemon or lime into just about everything else
  • denicejo
    denicejo Posts: 32 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm 20 months out.Whole milk just makes me feel like I'm going to die! I can do skim only. I've noticed I can eat my sugar but can't drink it. meaning I can eat ice cream but milk shakes or overly sweet coffee drinks make me feel horrible for a few hours. My symptoms are very similar to what I've read on Dump Syndrome. So, I stay away from overly sweet drinks and shakes. Rice, pasta, and very dense breads are painful. Pre-surgery I LOVED chicken, I've noticed post-surg I've lost a taste for it. Of course overly greasey or fried foods make me green also. Very dry meats don't sit well either. But other than that I can't eat almost anything!
  • denicejo
    denicejo Posts: 32 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    kc82 wrote: »
    I am 2 years and 3 months post-op. I still have a hard time digesting milk. If I drink more than 1/2 a cup, I feel sick and nauseated. Same thing goes for ice cream. I now drink Fair Life milk as its the only one I can digest with no issues. Plus it has a TON of protein in 1 cup.

Bread of any kind is a no-no and sits like a rock. Not a good feeling, so I try to avoid it. (I now make and eat Cloud Bread). You can find the recipe on Pinterest! Some recipes are different. I use cottage cheese in mine and add a packet of splenda to the mix. Super easy.

I can pretty much tolerate everything else... and like others have said... that's either a good thing or a bad thing. I still love starchy foods like rice, but I avoid them at all cost because they are TOO filling and do not allow me to get my protein in.

I'm ALL about the Fair Life skim milk!!! It lasts so long. Which is good bc I'm the only milk drinker in my house and 1 container lasts me a month!
  • capecodgirl50
    capecodgirl50 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm 18 mos. out. I can eat about anything - but ice cream, milk, breads, don't sit well with me. I have to watch the binging. other than that - doing well as I had complications after surgery with anything going down.
  • Stephaniev51697
    Stephaniev51697 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm 18 months out and just like capecodgirl50, I can eat just about anything except ice cream, salad, milk, bread, pasta or rice. I also tend to stay away from pork, i have a hard time digesting that. Unfortunately i do not have a problem with slider foods (like chips) so i am working on eliminating them completely.
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    So I guess I am the newbie at just five months out - I am still feeling my way, most things don't bother me that are doc/nut approved but I am mostly scared to venture out of that realm. Coffee bothers me still, I LOVE coffee have tried three times and it hurts and causes nausea each time - I can do decaf instant with my protein shakes, so not sure if it's the caffeine or the coffee. And the one bite too much is like Thanksgiving overfull on steroids still for me - pain for a good 30 minutes or so...I don't have a tell like a hiccup, so measure once and measure twice for me! Tried bread once sat like a waterlogged brick for a good hour - my advice stick to the plan and timeline, your tummy will thank you ;) LOL
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5 months out, but I still struggle with steak and pork other than sausage/bacon. I also get a bad stomach ache with tougher/stringier veggies and fruits (Asparagus, kale, squash unless it is pureed, orange membranes, etc). I haven't tried much bread/rolls yet, I still rarely have room after getting my protein in.
  • duffslove
    duffslove Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm 6 months post op ..can eat most things..like others have said, rice and pasta are pretty much a no go. I can eat 1 slice of Delightful oat bread toasted with my homemade chicken salad..if it's not toasted and without the chicken salad I can't do it, it comes back up. I have tried sf/ff froyo, I can eat and handle about 1oz-1 1/2 oz..tried about 3 bites of my sons ice cream a few weeks ago, felt very sick. Can't really handle milk well though I bought Fairlife the other day poured about 4 oz in a cup..drank a few sips, felt very sick quick. I haven't tried steak, but chicken and turkey seem to digest well for me. I do love Jack links beef jerky, and can tolerate almost any fruits and veggies. I'm too scared to try coffee again, because I loved my sweet coffee icy drinks before, and I'm afraid if I have it and find out I can do ok with it, I'm gonna go back to drinking them all of the time!
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I don't think any food per se bothers me it is usually if it is dry (esp chicken breast or white pork) or I eat too fast. I get a pain in my chest and I start drooling. My nose starts running and sometimes I throw up slimey stuff. So eat slow. Small bites. Make sure your food is moist. :)