Options
2»

Replies

• sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    f0ksfk31fit3.jpg

I love Fat Tire bikes in Winter. This photo was my Kona Wo at - 5 degrees and having fun. What other time of year can you bike across the lakes. :wink:
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    89dcd3gt1k58.jpg

This is my winter training alternative. I really prefer colder weather riding. I have never been too cold on the bike in winter, in fact, I'm usually sweating my *kitten* off.

I still have a trainer set up in the dungeon but it makes me sad to use it.

Gotta love it! Nice bike! :smile: Beautiful weather.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    personally I have a winter road bike that has full mudguards and slightly fatter normal road tyres on it and then I just stick to the main roads where the gritters have been and it's never been an issue yet. As long as you have decent winter clothing you'll be fine although I have had to stop in a shop before now to empty out my water bottles and refill them as the contents were turning to ice!

Im in the south of the UK so never had the chnace to ride across a frozen lake like the above pictures! looks idyllic. very Jealous
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    chunkytfg wrote: »
    personally I have a winter road bike that has full mudguards and slightly fatter normal road tyres on it and then I just stick to the main roads where the gritters have been and it's never been an issue yet. As long as you have decent winter clothing you'll be fine although I have had to stop in a shop before now to empty out my water bottles and refill them as the contents were turning to ice!

Im in the south of the UK so never had the chnace to ride across a frozen lake like the above pictures! looks idyllic. very Jealous

Much the same, though i'm a bit further north in the UK - I've got a disk-braked Cross bike that I put road tyres and mudguards on for winter - though I will admit that I do regularly get on the indoor trainer instead of going outside - mainly because UK winters aren't really that cold, but they are generally pretty damp and horrible - lots of temperatures just above freezing, and either raining, sleet or fog - none of which is actually conducive to keeping fit and well if you're breathing it in and exercising hard.

So, I try and get in the "long steady distance" rides outdoors when there's better days, and trot out the trainer for more structured and higher intensity work on the crappy ones. Okay, riding the trainer isn't the most pleasurable experience - if you're trying properly, it SHOULDN'T be pleasant at all (apart from when you finally stop!) - but the improvements that you can make to your fitness by a properly structured program of indoor training ARE incredibly pleasurable when you get to use that boosted fitness as the spring classics season rolls around.

• ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    So, I try and get in the "long steady distance" rides outdoors when there's better days, and trot out the trainer for more structured and higher intensity work on the crappy ones. Okay, riding the trainer isn't the most pleasurable experience - if you're trying properly, it SHOULDN'T be pleasant at all (apart from when you finally stop!) - but the improvements that you can make to your fitness by a properly structured program of indoor training ARE incredibly pleasurable when you get to use that boosted fitness as the spring classics season rolls around.

This! ---^

Truthfully, when it comes to intervals and high intensity work, particularly threshold intervals, I'm more likely to do them on the trainer any time of the year. Not only is it hard to find roads long enough to do 15 or 20 minutes at threshold without being interrupted by a stop sign, it's much safer to do it on the trainer. That way when you're 18 minutes in, your tongue is on the floor, and your eyeballs are bleeding you aren't having to keep an eye on traffic, road conditions, stray dogs, et al at the same time.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    As a year-round commuter I ask: what is this too cold/too icy you speak of? Fat bike, off-road, studded tires, snowshoeing or cross-country skiing and a trainer as last resort. I can't stand being cooped up so I get out and do whatever I can even if that means shoveling snow.

Says the guy from Arizona. ;)

Temps don't bother me... but once the snow comes, the safety risks to road riding go up exponentially, and at that point I typically put my road bikes away for the winter.
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    As a year-round commuter I ask: what is this too cold/too icy you speak of? Fat bike, off-road, studded tires, snowshoeing or cross-country skiing and a trainer as last resort. I can't stand being cooped up so I get out and do whatever I can even if that means shoveling snow.

Says the guy from Arizona. ;)

Temps don't bother me... but once the snow comes, the safety risks to road riding go up exponentially, and at that point I typically put my road bikes away for the winter.

Actually, my house is around 6,500ft in elevation and I regularly ride up to 8-9,000 feet depending on where I'm riding. While it's not Minnesota or other places that snows substantially, it's not all sand and sunshine. Case in point: :*
    8271670827_62381cbb92.jpg
    So, how was your commute today? 32F and snowy. Always remember rule #9... by Tom L, on Flickr

It only got worse that day too...
  • Bikerchickmomma
    Bikerchickmomma Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    There's always spin classes. Depending on the weather and if the roads were clear I rode outside all winter. I have an older trail bike I use for my "crappy weather" bike. Dressed appropriately, I could tolerate the cold down to 20 degrees. For cross-training, I have a rowing machine (total body work-out) and there's always walking.