The Difference Between Water Fasting and Intermittent Fasting

Options
DittoDan
DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
edited September 2015 in Social Groups
OK, lets gets some definitions out in the open.

Water fasting is:

Drinking water or non-caloric tea (lemon is ok), Plain coffee is ok (but no oil or butter, cream, etc)
Vinegar is OK.
NOT drinking artificially sweetened beverages ~ this is critical! Limit any non-caloric sweetener to one small packet a day!
No "nibbling", which means, you don't eat one peanut, one small piece of food that has calories.
Not eating "pickles" or other extremely low calorie foods. Fasting gives your stomach a "rest".
Medicine is ok ~ but diabetic meds could drive your blood sugar down too low. I usually suspend all diabetic med's.
Vitamins are ok, as long as they don't have sugar in them
Salt, Potassium and Magnesium are good and are encouraged during the pendency of the water fast.
Water fasting usually skips a day of eating.

Intermittent Fasting (IF) is eating normal amounts of food, just limiting it to one time of the day or one "window" of eating time. A 16:8 IF would be not eating for 16 hours, then eating your normal amount of food during the "8" hrs window.

Water wasting is not IF!

Thats the way I understand it.

Replies

• robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Ok Dan, that's clearly understood.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that IF is an umbrella term that covers all sorts of different patterns of fasting, not just 16:8, so my understanding is that this fast would qualify. But that's just my understanding.
  • britzen
    britzen Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I found that in the 2 weeks of following The Recipe, I've naturally fallen into a 19/5 feed bag window now.