Crossfit before a 5K??

Options
Dmkolls
Dmkolls Posts: 150 Member
I signed up to do a 5K with a friend of mine a while ago. Fast forward ----> now the 5k is tomorrow morning. I've been crossfitting for a bit @ 3-4x/week (M-W-F-S). However, not much "prepping" for the actual 5K, unless you count the WOD sprints, 200, or 400 meter runs.

Tonight is a crossfit night. WOD looks beastly. Don't want to skip, but don't want to hobble through the 5K. (I know I'll already need to walk a good bit of it).

Thoughts the night before a 5K?

Today's WOD:

Ring Dips (5 x 10)

Metcon (Time)

5 RFT:
20 HR Push ups
5 Push Press (50-70% of BW)
500 M Row

Replies

• Huggenkiss27
    Options
    I would probably do the workout. It doesn't seem like it will be too hard on the legs; a lot of upper body stuff. But I also did a pretty crazy WOD the night before a half marathon so maybe I'm not a good person to ask :-) You'll be surpised by how "in shape" you feel for running just from crossfitting. Have fun at your 5K!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I'm new to CF too and am doing a 5k this Thursday. I'm doing my second elements class (lifting was yesterday, all the non-lifting stuff today) and was tempted to do a class Wednesday but I'm going to hold off. Better safe than sorry and I don't want to sabotage the 5k.

Going forward I will probably give myself 2 days between CF and races. Good luck to you!
  • madmags
    madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    You need to listen to how your body has been reacting. If you think you will be sore or beat up after the workout (you called it beastly) then I would skip it. You shouldnt have a problem w/ the 5K, since you have been doing the metcon work and sprints.
  • cheers_b
    cheers_b Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    WELL??? DMKolls -- how was the 5k? did you crossfit prior? readers need to know! :happy:
  • Dmkolls
    Dmkolls Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hahaha!

Yes, I did my Crossfit class the night before my 5K. I did not feel that it hurt me in any way, and if anything the 5K helped work out any kinks or stiffness from the WOD.

I'm not a runner by any means, and I did a 5K early spring. It wasn't a mud run, but it was a trail 5K and it rained HEAVY enough to make it horribly muddy. I averaged a 14-15 min mile, which was fine with me because some parts were so muddy or full of puddles that it was difficult to get through without falling (again this wasn't supposed to be a mud run).

I was hoping that crossfit would help me with my times and running endurance. This 5K Run or Dye was done in Dallas, in 95+ degree heat with people throwing dye at you as you ran. It was HOT. I still averaged around a 14-15 minute mile. Not great IMHO. It was so darned hot that I had a hard time breathing. However, I didn't stop once. We kept plugging along.

Next 5K will be fall. By that time I should have several months of Crossfit under my belt. That will be the true test.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Hahaha!

Yes, I did my Crossfit class the night before my 5K. I did not feel that it hurt me in any way, and if anything the 5K helped work out any kinks or stiffness from the WOD.

I'm not a runner by any means, and I did a 5K early spring. It wasn't a mud run, but it was a trail 5K and it rained HEAVY enough to make it horribly muddy. I averaged a 14-15 min mile, which was fine with me because some parts were so muddy or full of puddles that it was difficult to get through without falling (again this wasn't supposed to be a mud run).

I was hoping that crossfit would help me with my times and running endurance. This 5K Run or Dye was done in Dallas, in 95+ degree heat with people throwing dye at you as you ran. It was HOT. I still averaged around a 14-15 minute mile. Not great IMHO. It was so darned hot that I had a hard time breathing. However, I didn't stop once. We kept plugging along.

Next 5K will be fall. By that time I should have several months of Crossfit under my belt. That will be the true test.

Good job! I can say that doing heavy lifting (Stronglifts) definitely helped my running. I can only imagine what Crossfit is going to do. I'm up in Boston and it will probably be around 80 for my race so I'm expecting to be a bit slower this time than I was last time.