New member and ?? about LCHF

Options
Emma33021
Emma33021 Posts: 71 Member
Hi everyone,

New to this group, been dx back in 2007 when TTC. 2 kids later, my weight is at its highest ever, 254 currently, down from 260.

I managed to lose weight before both pregnancies, mainly with GI diet and excercise. But now being 40, everything seems much harder.

I've read a lot of posts here, very informative, thanks to everyone contributing. My question is regarding LCHF. I have high cholesterol (on medication for it), so would the high fat ratio be ok for me?

Thanks and looking forward to getting to know all of you!

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    The high fat ratio should actually cause your cholesterol ratios to go down. Your body creates blood cholesterol when you don't consume enough for your brain function needs, etc. Also, be sure to have your thyroid levels thoroughly checked. Apparently the two are closely related. My triglycerides alone dropped form over 250 to under 120 just from getting on thyroid medication...
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    FWIW, my cholesterol was decent before this diet but really improved after (I also lost about 10% of my body weight) and my triglycerides dropped from 207 to 52. This was before I knew a lot about LCHF so my focus was more just low carb but my carbs were usually around 20-25% per day and the rest was fairly even between fat and protein.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    FWIW, my cholesterol was decent before this diet but really improved after (I also lost about 10% of my body weight) and my triglycerides dropped from 207 to 52. This was before I knew a lot about LCHF so my focus was more just low carb but my carbs were usually around 20-25% per day and the rest was fairly even between fat and protein.

Yep, this is common. Trigs have been linked pretty closely to carbohydrate intake.

Another thing to note -- depending on the exact fats that you're increasing, your total, HDL, and LDL numbers will likely go up. This is not inherently a bad thing. The problem actually has more to do with flaws in the measuring. The LDL is almost never directly measured, and the calculation breaks down at very high or very low trig levels, resulting in incorrect LDL numbers. Additionally, high fat increases the size and decreases the density of the LDL particles, making them larger and less dangerous. This is a very, very good thing, but shows up in the tests as an increase in LDL, as well, and often misconstrued as a bad thing. HDL going up is generally a very good thing, especially when accompanied by favorable HDL:Total and HDL:Trig ratios.

So, if your doctor shows concerns over your numbers, don't do anything until you get direct LDL measurements and particle counts.