Question: SL with Husband...

Options
HannahJDiaz25
HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
Hi,
I am new to lifting, but I recently read the New Rules of Lifting for Women and was inspired to start picking up heavy things!! YAY!
Ok, so I started NROLFW but I am not enjoying having to go to three separate parts of the gym to do the workout, plus my husband has now decided to join me and I cant figure out how to modify the program so we can both do it (The book is written assuming that women's 1RM is different them men's.) So I am considering switching to Stronglifts.
Has anyone on here been doing this program with their man? Any words of wisdom?

Replies

• kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Yes, hubby and I started this together. Works out great because one can work in the power rack while the other is resting. We just switch the plates back and forth between sets. We spot each other and watch for correct form so it's all good.

Good luck and enjoy!
  • MrsWells1983
    MrsWells1983 Posts: 160
    Options
    I'd like to get my hubby to start this, and he did it the day I bought the weight set last week, but not since then. He's too tired apparently. So until he makes up his mind if he want to lose weight I'm doing it on my own! I started this program properly yesterday (was just stuffing around with the weights before then).
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I lift with my husband when time allows. Like kitkat, we swap out on the squat rack and keep an eye on form. And I gotta say, I am enjoying the bicep action he's got going on. :smile:
  • Amazing1985RSD
    Options
    Nike.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,453 Member
    Options
    I have done Starting Strength with my son, and I MUCH prefer doing it with another person. We take turns doing warmups and sets, so we get to rest while the other person is working. It's also great to have somebody checking your form and making suggestions. I'd say that Stronglifts/Starting Strength is easier to do as a pair than solo.

Obviously, there's quite a bit of moving the weights around (as we have to add weight for his squats, take it off for mine, etc.), but I still prefer doing it with two.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Awesome Everyone! Thanks for all your encouragement/nice comments. We are already enjoying the program!