DAY 5

Options
49 John said to Jesus, “Master, we saw someone using your name to cast out demons, but we told him to stop because he isn’t in our group.”

50 But Jesus said, “Don’t stop him! Anyone who is not against you is for you.”

51 As the time drew near for him to ascend to heaven, Jesus resolutely set out for Jerusalem. 52 He sent messengers ahead to a Samaritan village to prepare for his arrival. 53 But the people of the village did not welcome Jesus because he was on his way to Jerusalem. 54 When James and John saw this, they said to Jesus, “Lord, should we call down fire from heaven to burn them up?” 55 But Jesus turned and rebuked them. 56 So they went on to another village.

57 As they were walking along, someone said to Jesus, “I will follow you wherever you go.”

58 But Jesus replied, “Foxes have dens to live in, and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place even to lay his head.”

59 He said to another person, “Come, follow me.”

The man agreed, but he said, “Lord, first let me return home and bury my father.”

60 But Jesus told him, “Let the spiritually dead bury their own dead! Your duty is to go and preach about the Kingdom of God.”

61 Another said, “Yes, Lord, I will follow you, but first let me say good-bye to my family.”

62 But Jesus told him, “Anyone who puts a hand to the plow and then looks back is not fit for the Kingdom of God.”

Replies

• HealthFitNow
    HealthFitNow Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

There is so much packed into these few verses.

I observe there is a consistent theme woven in the different vignettes.

Where is your focus?

This seems to be the question that surfaces. John complains about 'those others using Jesus' name to cast out demons' and Jesus response is if they are not against us, they are for us.

The next scene is the town that doesn't get on board. John wants to get even/and rain down fire. Jesus rebukes them (some manuscripts have Jesus also saying an additional phrase in vs 56 "The Son of Man did not come to destroy the souls of people but to save them.”) which shifts the focus from vengeance to saving souls--the gathering together.

The next section sees people coming and talking about following Jesus...but are distracted by other things--things that on the surface appear reasonable considerations for delaying following Jesus, but Jesus basically asks, 'Where is your focus?" It's as if he knows that these are 'excuses' that they make. Perhaps they would find another excuse, once the dead were buried.

Jesus talks about plowing the field but the focus is not on the field. Good plowing can't be done if the focus isn't there.

All of these stories are about whether the focus is on Jesus and saving souls. What is our focus? On Jesus or are we distracted elsewhere?

I know I have made excuses about not going to church or not doing something that with some effort, I probably could have done.

APPLICATION: I think Jesus is showing the importance of keeping our eyes focused on him and not let anything distract us from what we are to do.

I believe I have failed miserably in this. However, thanks be to God, who is gracious and forgiving when we confess our sin.

PRAYER: Creator of All, You are holy and great. We are undeserving of your love and grace, but you give them to us because You love us. You ask so little of us, and we fail you. I have failed you repeatedly by not keeping the focus on you and your mission, as I ought. Please forgive me for allowing other things to distract me.

Empower me to focus as I ought, that I might bring honor and glory to You, and not be distracted by things that you will take care of.

Lord, I struggle with my weight. Enlighten me to do what I must do, each day, so that I can bring my health and life into balance, and show the discipline I know you want for me.

I lift up our partners in this, that you will empower them to achieve their goals.

In Jesus name,
    Amen
    49 John said to Jesus, “Master, we saw someone using your name to cast out demons, but we told him to stop because he isn’t in our group.”

50 But Jesus said, “Don’t stop him! Anyone who is not against you is for you.”

51 As the time drew near for him to ascend to heaven, Jesus resolutely set out for Jerusalem. 52 He sent messengers ahead to a Samaritan village to prepare for his arrival. 53 But the people of the village did not welcome Jesus because he was on his way to Jerusalem. 54 When James and John saw this, they said to Jesus, “Lord, should we call down fire from heaven to burn them up?” 55 But Jesus turned and rebuked them. 56 So they went on to another village.

57 As they were walking along, someone said to Jesus, “I will follow you wherever you go.”

58 But Jesus replied, “Foxes have dens to live in, and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place even to lay his head.”

59 He said to another person, “Come, follow me.”

The man agreed, but he said, “Lord, first let me return home and bury my father.”

60 But Jesus told him, “Let the spiritually dead bury their own dead! Your duty is to go and preach about the Kingdom of God.”

61 Another said, “Yes, Lord, I will follow you, but first let me say good-bye to my family.”

62 But Jesus told him, “Anyone who puts a hand to the plow and then looks back is not fit for the Kingdom of God.”
  • kimbershep
    kimbershep Posts: 72
    Options
    Luke 9:49-62

OBSERVATION

I agree with the comment above. Our focus...where its at... is the main point here. Jealousy is as cruel as the grave. We shouldn't allow it get us to the point where we are unfocused. I know the feeling all too well and if you're human, you'll feel it too...the disciples were feeling a bout of jealousy to actually see someone else doing something they were supposed to be doing but failed at it at some point. It hurt I'm sure but it actually shouldn't. Christianity and following the work of Jesus Christ is for everyone; not just one special group. We should feel great when someone can master something even if we struggle with it. At least the work is being fulfilled. We're all on the same team.

Even though the Samaritans and the Jews did not get along, Jesus was setting an example of how hatred is not of God and we should all have love for one another. When they refused Him, he didn't retaliate as the disciples wanted to do. He rebuked them because He already explained to them how people that refused the Word are to be handled - kick the dust off their feet and leave them to their fate. Again, their focus was off from where Jesus wanted to take them spiritually.

Following Jesus Christ will require sacrifice. I've definitely had to go down that road before and know that I will again. Our focus must remain in tact in order to fulfill the will of God. I know that we are human and the disciples proved that because just as their faith wavered, ours will too. We aren't perfect which is why I am so thankful for serving a God who loves unconditionally. This is not an excuse to do what I want however God knows my heart is with Him even if my flesh fails.

APPLICATION
    Stay focused which is done by daily renewing my mind through prayer, fasting and reading God's Word and of course applying it.

PRAYER
    Focus......Heavenly Father, I know that I have sinned by not 100% walking in your way. I ask for forgiveness of all my sins as I come before you. Help me Father to be more focused. Search me dear Lord and if there is any area of my life that is not pleasing, show me as I read your Word. Help me to change. Father, you know what it is like on a daily basis for me. I ask that along with staying focused, you help me to balance everything and not put on frustration, anger and allow stress of my daily workload to take over me. I greatly desire to feel happy everyday and welcome my babies and husband with loving arms and loving reactions. I thank you for that right now and welcome a change in my life. I refuse to not have time for the most important things in my life. In Jesus Christ's name I pray, Amen.