Diabetes after being sleeved

Options
Hey fellow diabetics,

I have been diabetic since 1995. Before surgery I was on heavy insulin and oral meds. Since surgery I take nothing. My sugars are always normal and I'm sooooooo happy about that. My last A1C was 9.0 and I can't wait to see what it's going to be in July.

My problem is I'm so confused on how many carbs to eat now. It has been drilled in my head to not eat more than 40 carbs a day, but my docs guidelines look like much more. I was never sent to a nutritionist and I realize this handicaps me in this area. I had the low carb diet down to a tee. I lost 100 lbs in 2004 and went off 2005 and gained all my weight back. I haven't been able to lose low carb ever since. I heard this can happen because your body learns to hold weight while low carbing. Anyways, who the heck knows anymore. I would just like to hear from people who have lost successfully how many carbs they ate during the weight loss period. I know everyone is different, just wanting some example.
Thank you for listening.

Replies

• FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Try to find a nutritionist that specializes in obesity and diabetes. They should be able to help work fout a plan
  • ChrisTina_Fisher
    Options
    Hi. I was diabetic prior to the sleeve, but only had to take oral medication for it. I haven't had to take medication, since. My a1c has been around 5.0 since. My primary care physician is amazed by this. I find that I have to eat below 60 carbs a day to keep losing weight. Anything over and I can't lose. My nutritionist didn't tell me to watch my carbs, just my sugar and fat. As you probably know, there are many foods high in carbs, but low in sugars. I only saw the nutritionist once before surgery and once after. I didn't find her very helpful at all, but she is the one I am required to see. If I want to see another, I'd have to pay out of pocket. I don't feel I need another, as I've found what works for me. Good luck!