MARATHON RUNNERS: Favorite Fuel Recipes

Options
Tikaboom28
Tikaboom28 Posts: 5 Member
This will be my 3rd marathon this year! Doing things a little different by being serious about pace and about my body! I want to hear how other runners fuel up before long runs and how to liven up my meals without it 'cramping' my run. I'm sure we all can learn from this (O:

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything before a long run and don't fuel during a long run, with the exception of one or two where I practice with the gel I plan to use for the marathon.
  • barrpc
    barrpc Posts: 96
    Options
    After experimenting over the past few years, I found for me, about 2 hours prior to race time I eat organic peanut butter and honey on a slice of sprouted grain bread. I have 2 cups of almond milk and a banana. So far that has been working great. Once my longs go over 10 miles I do the same meal. I think you just have to experiment and see what works best. Some folks eat nothing at all and it works great for them.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Morning of I usually eat a half sprouted wheat bagel with hummus or a half PB&J sandwich on whole wheat bread. If I must refuel mid-run, I've found I tolerate sports jelly beans the best. I really do not enjoy eating during long runs though, I only do it if I feel like I really need it.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I trained with gels or my long runs, come marathon day, I didnt touch them, I got by on water, gatorade and half a banana...different things work for different people, I guess :-)
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything before a long run and don't fuel during a long run, with the exception of one or two where I practice with the gel I plan to use for the marathon.

This was exactly me. I now believe I need to fuel better during a marathon and make more of an effort to eat a little something before a long run and then during the run for training purposes (I don't think I "need" it). I do not have a lot of muscle mass and you need some mass to hold carbs so I think in a hard effort I need every edge I can get when I start
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

This was exactly me. I now believe I need to fuel better during a marathon and make more of an effort to eat a little something before a long run and then during the run for training purposes (I don't think I "need" it). I do not have a lot of muscle mass and you need some mass to hold carbs so I think in a hard effort I need every edge I can get when I start

It's called "deprivation training". By not fueling during training runs, you teach the body to effectively use the energy sources that it already has stored as fat.
  • amandamurdaugh
    amandamurdaugh Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    If I ate a decent meal the night before & the race is early enough, I don't eat anything. If I'm awake a few hours before the race, I'll eat a handful of pretzels & 12 almonds. I use honey for fuel during training & long runs/races.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Me too, only I don't do the practice gels. I wait for Running Warehouse to have a sale and then buy a couple of boxes of Hammer gel (vanilla).
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    Me too, only I don't do the practice gels. I wait for Running Warehouse to have a sale and then buy a couple of boxes of Hammer gel (vanilla).

Oh yeah. I buy them by the box too. I like Montana Huckleberry.
  • 58Rock
    58Rock Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Real food is best I believe. Try the little pouches of mashed organic fruits and vegegetables. You can often find them on the baby food aisle of the grocery store. Just like using a gel only you get real food that is great for natural energy. Most gels contain maltodextrin and fructose, which work, but as I mentioned, real food is, well, real.