Trail (and street) shoe choices: Zero Drop A Touch More Cushion Than Minimal?

Options
2»

Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it meets any of all of your criteria, but I have a pair of Sketchers Ultra Go Runs for my trail runs. I haven't gone many trail runs, but the couple of times I used them, I had no complaints in them. For the price of them for a trail shoe, they are worth a look.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Did it take you any time to get used to running in a minimalist shoe?

From the don't do as I do department: I did not ease into using minimalist shoes slowly. Fortunately I did not suffer any adverse effects save for the first run (16km) where I developed blisters running sock-less. A strip of thin tape would have avoided this.

After that run I immediately put my Nike stability shoes on and went out for a 3km jaunt for kicks and it was like running on big pillows. Hated that feeling. Moral: Don't switch on the same run LOL.

What I found with zero drop more minimal shoes was that I was more aware of my foot falls and was able to bring up my cadence. I can do that in any shoe now but I still find it easier to zero in on 178 - 182 SPM in a less gushy shoe (like the Vazee Pace) even if they aren't "minimal"; maybe the meaningful common characteristic is they are more responsive.

I worried about having less protection but if anything I think my landings have become somewhat softer if that's possible. Whatever the case, 527km later, no issues.
  • mwyvr
    Options
    @Stoshew71 No experience with Sketchers but will give them a test if available locally.

@glevinso Agreed, the Kinvara would not be something I'd use for trails but I will certainly give them a test run for streets when the new model @Carrieendar mentions is available. When checking out street shoes recently narrowed the choice down to the Vazee Pace, another NB shoe that escapes me (Fresh foam something?), and the Kinvara but can't remember what it was that made me pick the Vazee Pace over the Kinvara this time around.

Lots of excellent shoes out there these days. :smile:

Still looking for a somewhat more protective low (or zero) drop roomy toe box trail shoe to complement the minimalist Merrell BA Trails I run in. 25km mountain race coming up soon, I'd better get a move on that or will run in what I have and hope the trails haven't degenerated totally yet.

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

. . . I also have been wearing stability shoes for years. I thought I would see what all the hype was about and I tried a pair of Kinvaras and I do not like them at all. I have only worn them a few times for short runs, but i feel like my feet are flapping like a duck.

I've been wearing Kinvaras for a year and a half now, and I like them for running. I've found that I can't use them as my go-to walking shoe after they're shot for running. I need something with more heel cushion to walk in, and have been happy with the rather pricey Asics 33-M for walking. I suspect that Kinvaras would not be a good shoe for heel strike runners; I am a ball-heel to midfoot strike runner. Hence, the minimal heel cushion doesn't bother me at all running.

When the snow flies, I'll spend more time in Saucony Peregrines. They're marketed as a trail shoe, but I've been happy with them on roads with packed snow or loose snow that is shallow enough to run in. I've also worn the Pergrines in two trail races, but I can't claim to have enough trail running experience to present a fair opinion of them as a trail shoe.
  • mwyvr
    Options
    @MobyCarp Thanks for pointing out the Peregrine. I noted one local review commenting on a not-so-tacky outsole which might be problematic on our local trails (lots of roots and rocks), but will check them out myself.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I didn't have much luck with the Kinvara's last year--too pillowy. But I like the Saucony FastTwitch I bought this spring. I also have a pair of Kinvara Trail, which I think are a discontinued line (I bought them on DSW), and have been great for running in snow and mud.

I've also had a few pairs of New Balance Minimus that I really liked. Nice wide (for me, at least) toe box.

These are all 4 mm drop.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    @MobyCarp Thanks for pointing out the Peregrine. I noted one local review commenting on a not-so-tacky outsole which might be problematic on our local trails (lots of roots and rocks), but will check them out myself.

I'm not nearly so experienced as you, but I got the Peregrines as my first trail shoes. They have good traction--although I've skidded down more than one gravel embankment I haven't face-planted in them yet. Which is saying something with my horrible balance. Oh--I have fallen, but not while running! I was *hiking* in them. And distracted by a dog who was sooooo cute. So it's not really the shoe's fault. :)

Anyway, they have a nice wide toe-box (similar to my Guide 8s, which fit *none* of your qualifications!) and are very comfortable. I do wear socks with them, but when I've run through water they've dried quickly.