Diagnosis w/ no info

Options
Just got diagnosed over the phone by a nurse (delivering drs diagnosis after viewing ultrasound) who gave me very little info and I was too taken aback to think to ask much. Any info / advice helpful n appreciated. Is this cuz I'm overweight, drink too much or both? Feeling *kitten* about both those things right now. Thanks

Replies

• cletilley
    cletilley Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I also have not been given advice about how to deal with fatty liver. When I googled on it, main thing seems to be to eat healthier and exercise more....
  • Paulina1230
    Paulina1230 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed 2 years ago with fatty liver. Didnt do anything to change my diet and in August was told it is now cirrhosis where the liver attaches to the gallbladder. I am now on a fat free, sugar free, meat free and alcohol free diet. If I do not turn this around the doc says I will be facing a transplant or death in my not so far future. I gotta say tho that since I changed my diet my pain has almost disappeared and I do feel better. Will know for sure the end of Dec qhen I have another ct scan. Im running some now and riding my bike and walking alot. You can turn this around. Watch your sugars tho because your more prone to diabetes with a fatty liver. Add me as a friend and I'll share any info I have. Good luck.
  • leahnc725
    leahnc725 Posts: 1 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I was Diagnosed with mild diffuse infiltration of the liver via ultrasound one week ago. I was having mild dull pain on my right upper quadrant and mid back aches a few weeks. I thought it was my gallbladder or ulcer or gerd. After a trip to urgent care i was told to take nexium and all my labs were good except my ALT was slightly elevated by 10 points. One week later my doctor ordered the ultrasound and it confirmed that there are were no gallbladder stones but my doctor then told me I have mild Fatty liver. She didn't seem concerned and still didn't link my pain and digestive issues to my liver? I'm pretty sure most of my symptoms were from my awful food choices and Fatty liver.

I've made a ton of lifestyle changes in a short amount of time. I'm eating mainly low carb but allowing one fruit per day. I'm eating for health and choosing foods that are higher in nutrients and healing. Eating a lot of salads, almond butter, meats, Greek yogurt. I was addicted to lemonade, and gave up all sweets. It scares me to have Fatty liver and I don't want it to go to the next stage. If I can reverse it thru my actions then I'm going to try my hardest to get my weight down and get healthy. I've been reading that there are different stages of fatty liver and the first stage you can reverse (fatty liver)? If it gets to the second stage of NAFLD it's called NASH and more difficult to reverse. I take a Milk Thistle supplement too and it helps with digestion and the dull pain. It supposed to support liver and heal it?
  • elizabethymartin
    elizabethymartin Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    @leahnc725 Yes you can reverse it. I had a similar issue (pain ultrasound results etc) and after about a month of eating better and losing weight the pain subsided. If I start to slip on my eating habits, it comes back. But nowhere near as intense. I don't know exactly what my pain was either but I can tell you it was definitely weight/ acidic gut / fatty food and diet related. I have since lost twenty lbs and only uncomfortable when my diet is *kitten* or sometimes a little flare up w/ pms. (My stomach always gets acidic before my period. Sux) anyways even after losing ten and a lower fat diet ( I eat carbs. Lots of them, I just keep away from the white and eat only whole grain) my liver function bloodwork was perfect. And I've cut my alcohol consumption down and drink only water w/ my meals. That was tough because I was a juice junkie too. Not soda but lemonade, cranberry juice, iced tea...sugar and acid!!! And Now I realize how many calories I was drinking!! Anyways yes there is definitely hope. I freaked out too in the beginning. You can totally fix this. I hope you feel better soon!!
  • texasmargarita
    texasmargarita Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Fatty liver, then biopsy, then bleeding- hyperportal tension- five hospitalizations in one year and over 100 units of blood. First hospitalization after working with encephalothopy and commuting 42 miles- had a blood test run at my school clinic where I was a teacher, made an appt. with a gastroenterologist, and wast admitted to hospital three days later at my appt. and the blood tests became available at the same time. Hemaglobin or hematocrit which every one is supposed to be 8-11 was barely four. This is after a routine appt. with another GI doctor who just routinely diagnosed fatty liver after elevated liver enzymes. Do not ignore a bleed. You can lose a lot of blood before you even are aware. I feel lucky to be alive.