Ever seen an rubber anaconda choking out a cassette? Well here is your chance... *RAW FOOTAGE*

Options
m1xm0d3
m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
Excuse my snarky title... this happened to me during my commute home yesterday... riding along and then KAPOW! shotgun blast blow out. Pulled right over, no crash (thankfully). The tire slipped off the left side of the wheel.

ykjpkv6dsj7k.jpg

Took everything apart yesterday. No broken or loose spokes, wheel still true, but also pitted, scarred up along the edges. I took a file and sandpaper and smoothed the edges out. I took my time and felt confident I did a good job. Threw a new tube in, rode the block 2.5 miles last night, went to bed, woke up with it still aired up just fine, commuted to work this morning, flat about 7 miles in. I'd say the wheel is shot or NOT shot but beyond a useful repair.

Still unsure what caused the blow out. Brand new Gatorskin tire with <200 miles on it. Velox rim tape installed. *shrug*

Here is where I need your help... I need to make sure I bought the correct wheelset to swap out.

LBS said next wheel upgrade, I need to go to a higher spoke count. For my size @ 230lbs, 24 spokes are too few. So I ordered these from BikesDirect last night. 32 spokes...

I currently have a Motobecane Grand Record with 9 speed Tiagra. The photo link below is named Vent Noir which is also a Motobecane cycle. I think I made the right choice.... thanks for your input.

m5fwaz8pqag9.jpg

vent-noir-wheels-21.jpg

Replies

• ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Looks like you should be good with these. They likely won't be terribly light but given your size and the fact that you use your bike for utility as much as pleasure I don't think that is (or should be) much of a consideration. I think the 32 spoke count suggestion was a good one.

Good luck!
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    ntnunk wrote: »
    Looks like you should be good with these. They likely won't be terribly light but given your size and the fact that you use your bike for utility as much as pleasure I don't think that is (or should be) much of a consideration. I think the 32 spoke count suggestion was a good one.

Good luck!

Thanks, Noel! Weight is of little concern to me so hopefully these ship out soon. Until then, it's MTB time.

Also, Richmond is really hopping right now! Lots of teams being spotted out on the roads. BMC today, UHC, many others. If you want to see some of the photos and posts on Facebook, join the 'Friends of RABA' fb group.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,205 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Nice wheels! I like 'em. I had to go to 32 spoke last year. It was a good call from the LBS but now they don't have all the business. I don't get flats or bend my rim like before. :smile:

That's impressive with the tube wrap. No idea how it happened? Hope you didn't land on your noggin when it did happen.
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    Nice wheels! I like 'em. I had to go to 32 spoke last year. It was a good call from the LBS but now they don't have all the business. I don't get flats or bend my rim like before. :smile:

That's impressive with the tube wrap. No idea how it happened? Hope you didn't land on your noggin when it did happen.

Amazingly, no crash. Also no idea how it happened... Aside from the really loud explosion it was rather quick and calm. I was climbing a slight grade and I pulled right over. I think I hit the brakes too hard though and skidded the wheel on pavement.