Any runners in the group?

Options
JuliesS82
JuliesS82 Posts: 14 Member
Just wondering if there are any runners out there in any stage of pregnancy.
I'm in my first trimester so not feeling many changes but wonder what to expect as I get bigger.
Also wondering about workout clothes suggestions.

Replies

• steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Hey, I posted this response in the other thread....
    Hi, I'm a runner. I'm currently 25 and a bit weeks pregnant. Pre-pregnancy I was running training 10 km runs at about 46 min, and doing lots of hill and speed work. During the first trimester I had no significant problem maintaining my normal workouts, however once second trimester hit everything started changing, speed and intensity take a serious nose dive and back and pelvis pain start acting up. Hills, my previous strong point, are now tortuous! About 2 weeks ago (23-24 week mark) is when things really became hard for me. About half of my running friends were able to keep it up their whole pregnancy. From what I've seen it just depends on how the pregnancy goes and really doesn't have much to do with how "good" or "dedicated" of a runner you were pre-pregnancy. I would recommend having a good form of cross training on hand for when you start gaining and getting a belly because even if you do keep running it becomes incredibly difficult (and in all honesty not that enjoyable) to run every day. Your body needs longer to recoup and repair.
    In regards to workout clothes... I wore the same things I've always worn until about week 21, then I had to get bigger shirts to accommodate my belly (the tight stretchy ones would ride up over my belly when running, very annoying). Loose fitting tanks are a must! I still wear my same workout shorts, but I'm likely going to have to get some new pairs soon. I mainly wear stretchy tight shorts. Most waists just ride under the belly. Anything tight on my stomach is incredibly uncomfortable and makes me feel like puking.
  • JuliesS82
    JuliesS82 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Half marathons are my favorite distance and I'm registered for one in Oct at my 12 week mark. I'm going to give up my sub 1:45 goal and just run for fun. I've been tired but sticking with training. The heat scared me the first few weeks of Sept so I cut back a bit. I live in a rural area and have a few running friends but none of them are moms so I'm the guinea pig for the group!