Protein Powder help

Options
Can you add protein powder to hot foods? Like soup or hot cereal? If so is there a specific kind I should get? Help! Lol

Replies

• rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Most protein powder will clump up if it gets too hot. It will also clump up if added too quickly to hot stuff, where you might be able to get away with a gradual introduction. I think of it like cornstarch lumps.

When I make protein'd coffee, I first dissolve the protein in a small amount of cold water or milk, then I use my K-Cup coffee maker which slowly streams the coffee into the protein while I stir. This makes the drink perfectly. If I just make the coffee on the powder, it will end up with a chunky/cooked icky texture. If I just let the coffee go onto the mixed powder directly, it still 'cooks' a bit.

For hot cereal, I generally make my oatmeal without it and then after cooling a few minutes (to nearly cool), I add powder and stir. I have clumped it in oatmeal if I don't cool it enough.

So if you know it is possible, you can play with it to find the right way to add the powder without cooking it.

Rob
  • AceOfSpada
    AceOfSpada Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    rpyle111 wrote: »
    Most protein powder will clump up if it gets too hot. It will also clump up if added too quickly to hot stuff, where you might be able to get away with a gradual introduction. I think of it like cornstarch lumps.

When I make protein'd coffee, I first dissolve the protein in a small amount of cold water or milk, then I use my K-Cup coffee maker which slowly streams the coffee into the protein while I stir. This makes the drink perfectly. If I just make the coffee on the powder, it will end up with a chunky/cooked icky texture. If I just let the coffee go onto the mixed powder directly, it still 'cooks' a bit.

For hot cereal, I generally make my oatmeal without it and then after cooling a few minutes (to nearly cool), I add powder and stir. I have clumped it in oatmeal if I don't cool it enough.

So if you know it is possible, you can play with it to find the right way to add the powder without cooking it.

Rob

Thank you!
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I agree, temper the protein mix first in a warm liquid and then slowly stir it in.
  • AceOfSpada
    Options
    Very good tip
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    musclegen genepro protein powder can be added to hot stuff without tempering it first. I toss a scoop in the bottom of my mug, add coffee, and then add SF creamer every morning. It also stirs in easily to hot stuff, I often add some to soups to amp up the protein.
  • AceOfSpada
    Options
    Thank you! I will but some!

quote="sinderstorm;34102499"]musclegen genepro protein powder can be added to hot stuff without tempering it first. I toss a scoop in the bottom of my mug, add coffee, and then add SF creamer every morning. It also stirs in easily to hot stuff, I often add some to soups to amp up the protein.[/quote]

• AceOfSpada
    Options
    Thanks I'll buy some!