Chat and Accoutnability 27 Sep 3 Oct

Options
Hmrjmr1
Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
Happy Sunday Folks. Hoping all is well with all of you.

Carol - Good challenge. Make the challenge about building the habit you want; less about the numbers. Make your work work for ya.

Looking forward to Vegas Less than 3 weeks out.

This Altshift protocol is quite interesting, results have been good so far but it's early in the process. On the Altshift FB page seeing a lot of good results but again its pretty early. The good news is there is no reason to ever feel hungry using this protocol. For me the higher carb ( still not high by any measure just moderate I would guess) lower fat days are taking some getting used to but I haven' t eaten that way for a long time. Monday night will be the completion of my first 5 and 3 cycles. Per recommendations checking numbers etc at the end of the 5 Shift. So Next check on that will be a week from today in the AM.

On other news My co worker Greg the body builder is on week 10 of Carb Nite / Carb Back loading / Carb Nite protocol. He actually called me at home today because the results of Thursday Night Carb nite were the results we have been waiting for, to include the insulin spike hot flashes (I purposely did not tell him about them to see if we were getting it right) the tight as a drum skin and swolle muscles. and stand up veins. He is a very happy Camper and called to report that (I won't see him at work til Wednesday) he is low on Carb Shock as well. So since 1 July we have taken him from 226lb 18% BF to 203 and around 7-8%. We can now look at his body and see what additional muscle work we have to do to get him ready for competition in the coming year. He has been talking about needing two more cycle but I think we may only need the one coming up next Thursday to convince him we can go back to Back loading for a bit, while we build some muscle.

Replies

• howie6267
    howie6267 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Wow can't believe 1st of October is coming up. September was a so so month for me. I didn't lose much if any. October will be better. I have decided to cut Alcohol out for the month and maybe longer. I have been enjoying the craft beer a little too much on the weekends. It's getting a little to much habit forming for my liking so I'm just going to cut it for awhile. We all know food goes hand in hand with drinking lol so it's bad all around.
  • kilosierra83
    kilosierra83 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Hey all. Time sure does fly. Trying to decide what to do as far as diet goes. Cutting back on portions for sure and trying to eat cleaner. May try some intermittent fasting since l have been skipping meals here and there already.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Options
    Happy Tuesday Folks Hope all is well with all of you.

Kevin - You might want to look into Altshiftdiet,com. Its a protocol designed by Jason Seib, author of the Paleo Coach. I've only been on it for one set of shifts , and it is so far working as advertised, the key will be in two or three months it will be an interesting journey none-the-less.
  • heronh
    heronh Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Kevin, i can't even imagine how your must be feeling. Stay strong and healthy.

John, congrats on your success and do keep us updated. So cool about your bodybuilder friend! Where's the before and after shots?

Howie, I don't drink much nowadays but when I go out, I tend to have a couple glasses of red wine. I think it's because we don't keep wine in the house but I think it's a habit/trigger subconscious thing but I plan on making an effort not to order alcohol when I'm out.

Going camping this weekend yay! Excited about Vegas! Did a test run with a dog sitter and everything went good. Can't wait to see everybody!
  • heronh
    edited September 2015
    Options
    "Another person's beauty is not an absence of your own" Embrace your uniqueness instead of trying to conform to what the media is shoving down our throat in what they perceive as "beauty". Men don't have to be cut and women don't have to be thin/big boobs/booty etc Just be healthy and happy :)
  • carolssalva
    carolssalva Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Amen Heron! Good things to keep in mind.

Howie- September was so so for me also. I certainly didn't lose any weight. Or inches/size.

My problem is the nuts and nut butters. Also avocado and other healthy fats. I don't feel satiated without these but they seem to be adding a lot of calories to my day that would probably be fine if I were doing any type of exercise. OK there's another problem right there.

Well, I'm going to focus on getting good sleep. I can't remember a stretch where I got really good sleep. I fall asleep immediately and the quality is great. It's the quantity. I don't get to bed until very late in our day starts very early.

Congrats to you and your bodybuilding friend John! I bet he is grateful to have you guiding him.

Kevin- let us know how the IF goes. And the competition you have coming up!
  • heronh
    Options
    Carol have you tried prepackaging the nuts into single servings and writing the calories in big print on the ziplock bag?
    Also try eating a yogurt with your meal is helps lower your blood sugar. Scientist are not exactly sure why but Arturo and I tested that theory out several times with the glucometer and yep it sure does. I make my own yogurt with heavy cream and whole milk and I add a dusting of sucralose. Just make sure you get plain whole milk yogurt if you wanna try it out.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Options
    Happy Thursday Folks. Hope all is well with all of you. Here are the numbers from last nights Modified Body by Science Lifts. Leg Press 360# 6 reps, Bench press 150# 6 reps, Zercher Squat 195# 5 reps, Seated Ovhd Press 135# 4 Reps, Seated Rows 160# 6 Reps. Total Lift time 15:47.

Carol - Yep get the sleep right. I've been getting 7 hrs on average and things are moving along fairly well, though getting my morning exercise in is more difficult. I get my last hour mostly by going back to bed and finally getting up when I just can't stand to be horizontal any more. So Some time soon plan to drop it back to 6 or so and see how it feels. That would still be a big improvement over most of my adult life so the N=1 marches on.

Heron - Great thoughts about beauty and ideas on the portions. Another researched way to lower blood sugar response is 2 Tbls in 8oz of water of Apple Coder Vinegar. (I'm told Lemon Juice concentrate works as well.) Some folks say once a day is enough some say 20 min before meals. I do it once a day.

Altshift is going well next report will be Sunday Morning.

• howie6267
    howie6267 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I don't have a sugar problem but I tried the Apple Cider Vinegar and I just can't do it. blech! Heron great idea on portion control. My closed hand makes a good gauge for a 1/4 cup nuts. If I can't close my hand touching my fingers against the back of palm I know I have to much. I have big hands though. lol
  • kilosierra83
    kilosierra83 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Hey all, had a men's retreat with our church. Ate too much but also walked a ton. Hopefully it balances out. We have a guy who is a superb cook. The first night we did smoked meats, the next was a fish fry. Oh man....

Will find out Monday if or how much it set me back. Forgot my bed roll.... so I didn't get much sleep either lol.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Options
    Happy Saturday Nite folks. Hope all si well with all of you.