Potential PCOS Hormone Balancing Supplements - Not Inositol

Options
KnitOrMiss
KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
So, for those of you who have studied PCOS in all it's annoyingness, have you run across suggestions for these supplements? I found the article somewhat lacking in content, but interesting, as it is from a holistic practitioner. I've heard of Inositol and Vitex, but not N-acetylcysteine and L-arginine.

Just wondered if anyone else had heard or used these...

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-21795/what-i-tell-my-patients-who-want-to-treat-their-pcos.html?utm_source=mbg&utm_medium=email&utm_content=daily&utm_campaign=151002-6-rules-i-live-by-that-i-learned-from-modeling

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    L-arginine and L-cysteine are amino acids and as such have complex roles in the body, including use in healing, heavy metal binding, fighting inflammation, and systemic communication systems, among other things.

N-actetylcysteine is a medication derived from L-cysteine and most commonly used for treating acetaminophen overdose, though it shows promise in treating a number of neurological disorders, and muscus-related disorders.

From what I can tell of a quick cursory look, it seems they have similar mechanisms to Inositol, though they act on different channels. IE - they improve hormone balance by improving the body's communication networks. In the case of N-acetylcystine, it aids MGluR (glutamate) receptors, which play a fairly large role in the adrenal system.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Hmm...another thing to bring up next month at my endo checkup.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I asked my doctor about Insitol at an appointment where she mentioned Metformin. I was thinking it might be a gentler option. She basically said, you can try it, but it's unlikely to do much. So, basically, I have no clue.

I started taking Vitex cause it was on sale and I'd heard about it helping with PCOS. It hasn't accomplished anything that I see as being measurable and I'm seriously considering stopping it soon.

I get so confused by the supplements that people try for PCOS! I think the fact that every case presents slightly differently clouds it even further!
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    alfiedn wrote: »
    I asked my doctor about Insitol at an appointment where she mentioned Metformin. I was thinking it might be a gentler option. She basically said, you can try it, but it's unlikely to do much. So, basically, I have no clue.

I started taking Vitex cause it was on sale and I'd heard about it helping with PCOS. It hasn't accomplished anything that I see as being measurable and I'm seriously considering stopping it soon.

I get so confused by the supplements that people try for PCOS! I think the fact that every case presents slightly differently clouds it even further!

Most herbal or natural remedies take a while to work. They work WITH your body to do what needs to be done, not force your body to behave like BCP or metformin do. So be patient. In all the info I've read, it takes 3-6 months minimum for Vitex to work fully. It took me almost 9 months for my hormones to be balanced using it, and I was taking 1200mg a day. Vitex works by balancing whatever hormones you need balanced, so it is a good go-to for pcos since pcos does present differently in each woman.

Inositol is the same. Takes time, less time than vitex but takes time. Studies have shown that some women see benefits at as low as 4g a day but I needed 6g a day and if I remember correctly, @Dragonwolf takes 12g a day. We both have used a powder off Amazon so adjusting the dosage as you need is easier then with pills.