Supplemental 5x5 Lifts?

Options
bmele0
bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but are there any supplemental lifts to the 5x5 program?

Like if particular areas don't get as much development. I'm not really sure.

Just wondering if anyone has thought about this or if it's even necessary. I do cardio 3x a week and lift 2-3x a week on different days.

Replies

• Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I've been doing pull ups on day one and dips in day two. I don't want to add too much because I really like the simplicity of it, but I'm open to ideas?
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Ice Cream Fitness includes some accessories. It's basically stronglifts with additional lifts at the end.

For myself, I would include my own random things depending on how I felt. I would do stuff like: lat pull-downs, cable rows, good mornings, single leg deadlifts, dumbbell flyes, push-ups, upright rows, lunges, glute bridge, etc..

ETA: The SL app does have the option of adding pull-ups and dips, but those are the only supplemental add-ons that I know about besides doing your own thing.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I love love love the simplicity of SLs, but I feel like sometimes I want something more at the end - I want a booty and I want to have more sculpted arms. So I add in supersets of things that I like and things I've learned from NROLFW. I usually include 4-5 movements that include push and pull and move muscles at different angles and ways lol

Things I include for booty are hip thrusts, front squats and Bulgarian split squats
    Upper body are things like pikes, push ups, single arm rows , bicep curls cos they make me feel BRAH!
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    The extras built into the app are dips, pushups, skull crushers, standing calf raises, planks, pull ups, chin ups, curls, seated calf raises, hanging knee raises.

It depends what you want to do or can do. Stuff that is extra on Ice Cream Fitness is all body building stuff, curls do nothing other than appearance. I'm more for strength building so I skip curls and work on stuff that helps my other lifts, like Front Squats.

But if you follow SL and keep adding weight months down the road SL gets really long (I was hitting 1.5hour sessions) as the warmups get longer and longer. Throw in some accessory work and you'll be in the gym for 2 hours for sure.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    planks. not that i'm doing them myself atm, but they absolutely and completely complement all of the lifts.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    A question for those doing accessory work on top of regular SL... do you do your supplementary lifts at the beginning, middle or end of your workout?
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    A question for those doing accessory work on top of regular SL... do you do your supplementary lifts at the beginning, middle or end of your workout?

End of the workout.

SL is a great program as is. It doesn't need any additions, unless you want to do them. I use the mindset of: get the core of the workout done so I'm running the program as written. If I still have gas in the tank/desire to lift more, then add on extra.
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    One thing I've learned from my trainers is the value of doing activation/ warm up supplementary lifts before and between sets. So for example horizontal cable rows or banded pull aparts between sets of deadlifts to make the rhomboids and lays recall and hold the necessary mid thoracic tension. I do planks at the beginning to get my core used to the tension it's going to have to hold during lifts. I do glute activation as part of the warm up before squats.

This stuff is different than accessory lifts but I find it very helpful.

For accessories I do pull ups and hip thrusts with workout a and chin-ups and hip thrusts with workout b.

Then I do some extra core work (like one lateral and one anterior exercise) and stretch at the end.

My accessories are chosen for sport tho as I am a climber. As we get closer to ski season I'm going to take out some thrusts and add in some weighted step ups and lunges/ split squats as those seem to translate quite nicely to skiing. I should probably do that now as its already mid October!

I'm following rippetoe's starting strength and the stuff he says about the program being meant to provide foundational strength for sport is really appealing as sport is important to me. My physique seems to be developing in a way that I'm happy with - balanced definition in arms and legs and back.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Extras at the end. Only if I feel like them, and cos I enjoy them!
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I wanted to do more & added the accessories from Ice Cream Fitness. I'm enjoying it so far. Things like glute bridges & hip thrusters are good for booty work.