Quest Bars

Options
garber6th
garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
edited October 2015 in Social Groups
Quest has changed their ingredients and now they are using soluble corn fiber in their bars. I can really taste the difference, and the new ones taste gross. So if you are like me and don't like the new Quest bars, if you look closely you can still find some of the older boxes (which are still good till next spring/summer). I found some at Sprouts, Trader Joe's, and GNC.

Replies

• kcbhopkins
    kcbhopkins Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Well this is good to know...I thought maybe I was getting bad batches. Thanks for the info!
  • garber6th
    Options
    kcbhopkins wrote: »
    Well this is good to know...I thought maybe I was getting bad batches. Thanks for the info!

Yeah I thought mine tasted off, and my BFF thought she was getting bad batches as well! Not happy with the changes, I loved my Quest bars!

• BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Thanks--good to know they changed their formulation (I thought I recently heard something about it but this confirms it)---maybe it will finally be OK for me to eat them.

I really liked the "old" formulation for flavors PB&J and Chocolate Brownie (my favorites) but since I'm an insulin-dependent diabetic, a single Quest bar was raising my blood sugar by 40 mg/dL & driving my cravings for eating more of them way up! I felt like I was seriously "addicted" to these Quest bars, even the ones that didn't use sugar alcohols!--I ended up gaining about 39 pounds before I got myself off of them and back on track with my diet (weighing-in & logging my meals here on MFP helped with that). I tracked the "addictive" issue problem down to the pre-biotic fiber (isomalto-oligosaccharide) they were using in them as the culprit. Maybe this new formulation (soluble corn fiber) won't be as bad for raising blood sugars in insulin-dependent diabetics like me! ......& maybe the new "taste" will keep me from wanting more than one!
  • garber6th
    Options
    I know what you mean about being "addicted" to bars, I love Combat Crunch bars but they taste really good to me, almost too good, so keeping them around wasn't an option. A trigger food is a trigger food, you know?
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the heads-up. I haven't had any with the new formulation yet. Has it altered calories as well?
  • garber6th
    Options
    Thanks for the heads-up. I haven't had any with the new formulation yet. Has it altered calories as well?

Yes, the double chocolate chunk used to be 160, now they are 180, and it looks like all the other flavors are 10 to 20 calories higher.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Thanks. These might be good changes. We'll see. I know that some people had bad sugar spikes from the IMO in the old formula, so clearly it was not being treated as a fiber. They claim the soluble corn fiber is better with the insulin response and blood sugar. We'll see how it pans out.
  • garber6th
    Options
    I understand that the ingredient change could be good, but I just can't get past the slightly "off" taste. I am sure for some people the difference isn't even noticeable, but of course I notice it!