Trainer booked, just for a form check

Options
Ariadnula
Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
Well. I've booked a one off session with a PT on Saturday, to check I'm not doing anything completely stupid in any of the lifts.

I decided that I was being a bit over enthusiastic and throwing myself into this without 100% knowing what I'm doing! I did a bit of training to be a PT years ago and I've watched a zillion videos but really, I need someone to take a look and tell me what I'm doing now that might cause me to hurt, further down the road!

I was spying on a trainer in the gym, and he was giving his female client barbell squats to do, and then big serious dumbbells for one arm rows, so he's clearly not a proponent of 1kg pink weights for the ladies. So I got his details and called, and have persuaded him that I can't afford and don't want a full time trainer, I just want an hour or so of his time to take a look and give me some advice. We shall see. I think it'll be worthwhile, and I have lots of questions for him.

In the meantime, I've dropped back 5kg on the squat and the deadlift, to where it's hard but not too worrying, and I'll stay there in a sort of holding pattern for Tuesday and Thursday - and then after my Saturday session it'll all be back on! Especially with my cute fractional plates, I'll be set.

Anything anyone thinks I should focus on, in the (expensive!) time I have with him? I really just want to work through all the lifts, take notes on what to do better, and see what he suggests.

Replies

• christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    What programme are you using at moment? I'd get him to go through all the compound lifts for form check and to work out set/reps/weight progression if you're not doing 5x5. Also any accessory work you many want to do of you're working out more than 3 days a week. I get together with my trainer every 6 weeks or so just to revise progress and have found that really beneficial for tweaking things. Enjoy your session, I know it's expensive but it's worth it of he knows his stuff.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    that's a really good move, and i like your method for choosing one too. it's nice when you get to observe someone working without their knowing it, because then you can actually make up your mind about whether they'll fit well for you.

agree about getting him to reality-check your form on the lifts you'll actually be doing. and personally, i would focus on form first if you only have an hour - with 5 sl lifts, that's only 12 minutes per lift.

programming is nice, but there's no point in having a range of set/rep/progression choices if you're not confident enough of your form to be doing the sets/reps/progressions, you know?
  • Ariadnula
    Options
    Im doing 5x5, yes, and I've told him that. I hadn't though about the fact it's only 12 mins per lift - I'd better concentrate and stop my usual nervous chatter, to get as much out of the hour as I can!

That's interesting, christch, about just seeing someone every six weeks - I like that idea and might propose it to him.

And yeah, you're right, canadianlbs, some lifts (bench press!) I'm holding back because I feel unsure. On the other hand, in others - potentially worse - I'm barrelling ahead and increasing weight and yet I wonder if I'm setting myself up for injury!

So. I think this will be useful and I'll try to get the best out of it. I'll report back on all the things I learn!

• StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Just to warn you that I only got through 3 lifts in an hour (squat/DL/bench). We did have to spend quite a while correcting my bench (stupid shoulders) so you might make it through more than me. Just make sure you do them in the order of concern! I was most worried about squat and DL where I'll be shifting the most amount of weight.

That was ok with me as I feel ok ish about OHP and rows, but might get a trainer to cover those too.

Luckily my gym is pretty good in that there is always a PT around and they'll check form for you (as long as you're not bugging them everytime you're in)
  • Ariadnula
    Options
    Ah, good thinking! I suppose each could take a while.

And I think I'm similar - most worried about the DL and squat, as that seems where I'm most likely to do damage if I'm not doing things right, and lacking confidence in the bench because I'm convinced I'm going to end up trapped under the bar!

There's always plenty of staff around, I know someone would rescue me, but the shame....
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Yeah I figure with the rows as long as your back is flat and doesn't move then the worst you're doing is working the wrong part of your back.

And seems like everyone gets stuck with OHP so I have time to correct that one at lower weights.

They definitely wouldn't leave you stuck! I don't put the springy things on the end of the barbell to hold the weights in place, then I can always tip the bar.

As I start getting near to failure I think I'll probably set the safeties up just above waist height. Probably still be able to bring the bar down to my chest, but I should be able to wriggle out too.
  • Ariadnula
    Options
    No clips! That's genius. Though I'd be worried about tilting and sending a plate flying across the gym :-)
    I did put the safety pins on last time, yeah, though I wasn't 100% sure I'd be able to wriggle out. I suppose I could roll the bar forward on the pins, like going through a mangle.
  • Neonbeige
    Neonbeige Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a good plan, when is the appointment?
  • Ariadnula
    Options
    Saturday. So I have two sessions before it, and I'll just take things fairly easy, not add any weight until I've been checked-over.

Though the trainer is likely to be at the gym and he knows who I am, so I suspect he'll be having a look to see what I'm doing!
  • Ariadnula
    Options
    Ooh, just got a text saying he's had a cancellation and can I do tomorrow night. That's much better, actually, and means no more working out and wondering how I'm doing. But now I'm a bit nervous !
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    Ariadnula wrote: »
    But now I'm a bit nervous !

it's very worth doing. and if you've picked a good trainer - which it seems like you have - then it will pay off.

depending on what he's like in a personal sense, maybe you could approach the time question like this: do one set of each lift for him, right away. then let him make suggestions about which ones to prioritize for fixes during the hour. he's the professional diagnostician/troubleshooter, after all.

• Ariadnula
    Options
    Hmm, yes, I think that's a smart idea, thanks. I'll report back!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    If it helps for bench, I've failed on both flat and incline. Flat bench there is a lower rack spot, so that is what I've managed to do so far. It's often referred to as the "oh $#%" spot and sometimes that's what you're saying as you force enough oomph to get it there. Incline bench does not have that feature. The weights aren't quite at crushable amounts, so it was basically settle down on chest then down to lap before getting out from under it and figuring out how to get it back up when arms were a little tired from fail. My incline bench fail was only at 70 so I took some of the small plates off then cleaned it to get it back on rack. Gym had people around, got a couple of glances, no offer to help but I managed on my own. It was more awkward than anything else, but would get more challenging to get out from under when near 135 probably. I also don't put the clips on, just in case. Or I know some bench in a power cage so the safeties can be there but figure since my current gym has 3 flat benches, 2 incline and 1 decline, I do them over there.
  • Ariadnula
    Options
    Well, that was fantastic! Really worth the money and time, I'm so glad I did it.

First and foremost I learned that I'm not doing anything terrible - my form is generally good. Overhead press I'm fine, rows he showed me the difference that a wider grip makes, but otherwise all good. Bench generally good too, I need to lower deeper - and use an incline bench at least half the time? I never have, so that's news!

Squat - wow. He had my hands wider, firmer, and the bar MUCH further down my back. It felt crazy at first! But made an incredible difference. I squatted lower and lifted more weight and just felt really good. Breathing - I kind of had that OK, but good to practise. And we went nice and slow when I'm inclined to just bounce my way through them....

So - it was worth it just for that!

Then the deadlift - my neck was wrong, and I didn't hyper- whatsit at the end. We adjusted my feet, how I bend, how I breathe, how I push up (rather than pull) and how I end up. That sounds like I was terrible before! And I don't think I was, but lots of little changes made a big difference.

I'm really glad I did that and I'm looking forward to Thursday in the gym.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Glad it was worthwhile for you.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    this is great. you sure did your homework and thought about what you were looking for, so it's really nice that it all worked out so nicely for you. it is surprising what a difference those little tweaks make, isn't it?