Crossfit - Scared Newbie

Options
kathheen
kathheen Posts: 108 Member
Hello!

So i thought i considered myself fairly fit, running 3 x week (around 20miles), kettlebells and bootcamp. Then last week i heard about crossfit and got a taster class and loved the thought of it. So was back on Saturday so the trainer could show me some of the techniques to use and a few more of the exercises. I knew then it was going to be hard!! But still signed up for my first class which is tonight
Im now freaking out because i yesterday i went to see the trainer, because im totally nervous about it and he was great and reassured me and he set me my first WOD (sorry if i get any of the terms wrong )
It was 3 rounds of
20 wall balls 4kg (meant to be 9kg)
10 box steps 16”
20 kettlebell swings 12kg (meant to be 16kg)
10 burpees
6 x shuttle runs
I completed it in 15mins 36secs - slower than anyone else on the board :ohwell:

So now ive checked out the facebook page and seen some of the pics put up of the classes and everyone looks mega fit and in good shape (i still have 16lbs to lose) Im now nearly cancelling the class i just dont think i can go through with it i guess if im honest im scared of making a fool of myself. The rational part of my brain says everyone starts somewhere but the fear is now installed!
Did anyone else feel like this when they started?

Replies

• kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Don't freak out! Everyone started somewhere, and honestly - you are much fitter than many when they start CF. It isn't about you competing with everyone else - just doing what you can do. I started CF weighing 230 pounds. If I can do it, so can you!

There is a lot of variation between boxes and the kind of environment that you'll find. Mine is definitely skewed older. We have the usual young super-fits, and then there are the trying-to-get fit 40 year olds like me. We even have a couple where she's in her 60's and he's in his 70's. But I know there are other boxes in town where it's a much more competitive environment, and mostly younger very fit people. You've got to find a place where you feel comfortable. Truthfully, it's not the WODs that have kept me coming back for a year - it's the people and environment.

But you absolutely will not embarrass yourself. If anything, you'll get a ton of support.
  • kathheen
    Options
    Aww thankyou! I need to keep it calm and forget my insecurities, im 40 too and feeling it more than ever after yesterdays WOD!! :laugh: I just spoke to my boyfriend who's offshore and he said the same - i know once i have been to a full class i will be absolutely fine its just getting myself there, plus after that WOD yesterday i have never felt so sore but i guess thats it working!
    Thanks for replying i will let you know how i go later :smile:
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    No don't give up. I was the same exact way I promise. I have only been crossfitting for a little over a month and I remember posting on here how worried I was about my first official WOD. I wanted to quit immediately. My first workout had a 1000 meter run in it and I was freaking out. I went to the class tackled the run, I'm still a bad runner but I know if I keep running I'll get better. I finish most of the WOD's last. The people at the box will cheer you on and push you to continue. I never feel bad about being last, the crossfit community is so supportive. I said all that to say, you can do it. You will have to scale a lot however you will be amazed at how much you grow.
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    Don't quit, everyone starts off slower than the rest, my first wod was 15-9-6 of push press at 55lbs air squats and 200m run. Took me 15 minutes to do that and I thought I was going to die. 2 months later did the same wod again got it done in under 5 mins. A year later I'm now rxing wods and competing in scaled competitions
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 and will doing my first class sometime next week. I'm doing a two day training class this week (tonight is the second day) to review all the exercises and moves. Yesterday was the "easy" part where we reviewed all the lifts. right in my wheelhouse, except the timing on the clean is a bit tricky.

Today is all the other stuff (burpees, pullups, etc) which will probably kill me. Everyone I've met (coaches and participants) have said the same thing. Ease into it, dont' worry too much if you are a bit clueless at first and things start coming to you.
  • kathheen
    Options
    Thankyou all so much for replying im guessing im just having a bit of a meltdown and worrying way to much about it! I had 2 other newbies in my intro class but they attend different classes to me due to work commitments i cant go through the day but you are all right i will get better, i guess i just thought i was much fitter than i actually am - crossift WOD proved that wrong haha!

I love the passion my trainer has for crossfit and all of you guys passion its very infectious! I will swallow my fear and try my best tonight and let you know how it was thanks again for making me feel better
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Do.Not.Quit.

For the first three months I went home after ever class and cried. I thought of myself as VERY fit, but it takes a while to aclimate to that style of workout. I had finished two rounds of Insanity, two rounds of P90X, a half mary and the NYC marathon!

Keep going!

To this day I do not give a rats a** if I am the last one finished, (and I often am) because I go as hard and as heavy as I possibly can. That is the whole point.

Seriously. We have all been there. Nervous to the point of wanting to puke. Wanting to die after the WOD. Feeling inadequate. All of it. You will hate yourself if you quit because you know you can do it. Above all else, CROSSFIT IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN. It's FUN! I swear! Pull ups are fun! Throwing heavy weights over your head is FUN! Collapsing in a heap of sweaty mess IS FUN!!!

Modify everything to start. Be your own advocate. Make friends and ask questions. Focus on form and if you feel like your box/coaches don't care about form, find another box! Do your homework before you go. If the WOD is posted the night before, google everything so you have an idea of what to expect. (THough this makes some peeps unable to sleep, I'd rather know)
    And don't forget to write EVERYTHING down. Keep track of all WOD's so you can look back and see how far you've come. It's important!

Good luck!
  • georgie304
    georgie304 Posts: 143
    Options
    Hang in there! Do not quit. You will thank yourself later.

I am 42 and just started Mid March.

You are worth this. Nobody in CF will judge you! It is a community.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Every single person in CrossFit has finished last in a WOD! No one comes in and Rx's a WOD Day 1. I'm starting Week 4 and I still come in last, but it's not about being last. It's about being better than yesterday, which I most definitely am.

Do not quit! No one is judging you. Hell, you are doing more in a single 20 minute WOD than most people do all week. Just set yourself some goals and work toward them. My first goal is to always finish a WOD in less than 40 minutes. So far so good. As I progress I will shorten that time (depending on the WOD of course). My second goal is to get my Double Unders going. Tiny goals.

Do not compare yourself to someone who has been CrossFitting for 1+ years. All those cut, insane CF machines you see at your Box have worked their a**ses of to get to where they are. Admire them? Yes. Compare yourself to them? No.

I'd like to say it gets easier, but well it never really does when you keep pushing yourself to be better. But it is definitely worth all the hard work.

Also look for an app called "myWOD" it is for iOS and Droid. You can log your WODs, max weights, etc and even has demo videos of the various exercises.
  • kathheen
    Options
    So does JaneBShaw hate crossfitters? I just had a 'warning' private mail from her - i think i have read about her on previous posts
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Do.Not.Quit.

For the first three months I went home after ever class and cried. I thought of myself as VERY fit, but it takes a while to aclimate to that style of workout. I had finished two rounds of Insanity, two rounds of P90X, a half mary and the NYC marathon!

Keep going!

To this day I do not give a rats a** if I am the last one finished, (and I often am) because I go as hard and as heavy as I possibly can. That is the whole point.

Seriously. We have all been there. Nervous to the point of wanting to puke. Wanting to die after the WOD. Feeling inadequate. All of it. You will hate yourself if you quit because you know you can do it. Above all else, CROSSFIT IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN. It's FUN! I swear! Pull ups are fun! Throwing heavy weights over your head is FUN! Collapsing in a heap of sweaty mess IS FUN!!!

Modify everything to start. Be your own advocate. Make friends and ask questions. Focus on form and if you feel like your box/coaches don't care about form, find another box! Do your homework before you go. If the WOD is posted the night before, google everything so you have an idea of what to expect. (THough this makes some peeps unable to sleep, I'd rather know)
    And don't forget to write EVERYTHING down. Keep track of all WOD's so you can look back and see how far you've come. It's important!

Good luck!

Very well said. I think Karin's post should apply to all exercise. It should be FUN. I know I'm not going to be able to compete with anyone, of any age or sex or weight, who has been doing CF for a few months.

JaneBShaw, for some reason, hates Crossfit and feels it is her mission in life to post on every thread about the dangers of Crossfit.

And sport has dangers, but if you pay attention and regulate yourself you should be fine. Form is KING, and it sounds like your coaches are emphasizing that over all else which is exactly what they should be doing.

Get the form for all the exercises down first, then slowly add weight/speed. The only person you should be competing against is yourself and your own times, that's why most boxes have you keep a notebook of your workouts.
  • janebshaw
    janebshaw Posts: 168
    Options
    Anyone that is thinking about joining Crossfit should be aware of the darker side of the organization
    These are two good articles on the topic I saw someone post on MFP a few months ago:

The Controversy Behind CrossFit
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/545200-the-fall-of-fitness/

Getting Fit, Even If It Kills You
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/22/fashion/thursdaystyles/22Fitness.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

After you try Crossfit, there is absolutely NO shame in deciding it's not for you and moving onto something else.

I know too many people that got injured trying to complete Crossfit workouts to ever want to try it, or encourage others to get involved -- especially when there are so many other great fitness program available that don't have such a high risk of injury or make people so sore they can barely move for days.

While "hate" may be a strong word for it, you are correct in saying that I do not like the Crossfit organization and what it represents, as far as certifying trainers that only had a weekend workshop as training, and the fact that Crossfit makes their workouts so extreme that many people sustain unnecessary injuries.

Crossfit may start newbies out at a reasonable pace, but after you graduate from being a newbie, the workouts are so extreme that injury is very likely. And if you are injured, you can't work out until you heal.

You don't have to take my word for this. But please take time to read the articles, and take seriously the words of the NY Times reporters, the reporter at Livestrong, and the word of all the people they interviewed that were harmed by participating in the Crossfit program.

Believe me, there are safer and less painful ways to get fit!
  • nashai01
    Options
    So does JaneBShaw hate crossfitters? I just had a 'warning' private mail from her - i think i have read about her on previous posts

Both JaneBshaw and healthgal comment in every crossfit post. I think they may be the same person. Everyone who crossfits and comments on MFP has received a private msg from them at one time.
    I think its hilarious
  • janebshaw
    janebshaw Posts: 168
    Options

Both JaneBshaw and healthgal comment in every crossfit post. I think they may be the same person. Everyone who crossfits and comments on MFP has received a private msg from them at one time.
    I think its hilarious

That's because you either haven't been injured doing a WOD yet, or haven't seen any of your friends limping around in a cast because they tried to do something at Crossfit that was beyond their ability so the coach would stop yelling at them.

But again, you don't have to believe me, but you SHOULD take the NY Times seriously!
  • nashai01
    Options

I think its hilarious

That's because you either haven't been injured doing a WOD yet, or haven't seen any of your friends limping around in a cast because they tried to do something at Crossfit that was beyond their ability so the coach would stop yelling at them.

But again, you don't have to believe me, but you SHOULD take the NY Times seriously!

I know plenty of people who have been crossfitting for years with no injury. The injury part depends on the person and the coaches. The coaches at my box never push anyone past their limit.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options

I think its hilarious

I can find articles on injuries from any physical activity.

Running: http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/running-injuries-causes-prevention-treatment
    Walking: http://www.prevention.com/fitness/fitness-tips/solutions-10-biggest-walking-pains
    Tennis: http://www.stopsportsinjuries.org/tennis-injury-prevention.aspx
    Bootcamp: http://fitmontclair.wordpress.com/2010/02/14/bootcamp-bootcant-or-why-group-exercise-classes-are-really-group-injury/
    Bicycling: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2001/0515/p2007.html
    Spinning: http://www.spinning.com/en/community/how-to-avoid-common-indoor-cycling-injuries
    Bowling: http://twinboro.com/sport/bowling-injuries-nj.html
    Golfing: http://golf.about.com/od/fitnesshealth/tp/commoninjuries.htm

That doesn't mean people shouldn't do these activities. They simply need to be smart about their own capabilities, and scale appropriately.
  • DanTheeMan
    DanTheeMan Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    All Normal Feelings...especially when your about to start something that will change your life! On my first day i walked in with my head down and back arched thinking this was going to be a big mistake. After finishing my one week of On-Ramp (and Advil-haha), I now walk in with my head up high, chest out and weight on my heels ready for today's WOD. Besides the physical changes that are comming, the biggest change is your new self confidence you will most certainly have. Congratulations and Welcome to Crossfit! PS: 49 yrs old (feel like i'm 20 again) :wink:
  • kathheen
    Options
    So I'm back from my first official crossfit and I loved it though honestly showed me that I'm not as fit as I thought! I'm training for tough mudder at end August so this is going to be great training or it.
    Thanks to you all who supported me & gave me the confidence to turn up for it :smile:
  • georgie304
    Options
    Sounds like it is time to block someone else! :laugh:
  • georgie304
    Options
    So I'm back from my first official crossfit and I loved it though honestly showed me that I'm not as fit as I thought! I'm training for tough mudder at end August so this is going to be great training or it.
    Thanks to you all who supported me & gave me the confidence to turn up for it :smile:

Congrats for sticking to it. You will thank yourself later! :flowerforyou: