Introductions!

Options
Everyone introduce yourselves!

Hi, I'm Catherine, and I'm pretty new to weight loss and MFP, but I've had depression for ages. It didn't help with weight gain, of course, and it really kills my motivation for basically anything. I'm on good meds now (Viibryd!) but I'm not taking this energy for granted; I'm using it to get healthier and fitter before it disappears. I would love to make some new friends, and hopefully we can all support each other through the weight loss!

Replies

• KourtneyChristine
    KourtneyChristine Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm Kourtney! I have used MFP before to
    Lose weight and it does work! Not sure exactly
    How I could stand to count calories for ever but I'm hoping to train my brain and my
    Body to just know when to stop eating and know when I am truly hungry or I have had enough. I've had depression ever since I was very little but diagnosed for it by the time I was 7. It's been treated but I definitely went through a rough time growing up. I am a mom now at age 23. I love my baby girl more than anything and I want to show her how to live and love a healthy life style. I am also vegan and have been since 2010! It's a great life style as long as you don't consume the vegan junk food which is everywhere!!! I now only consume what would benefit my body. I also take medication for my depression but I also practice yoga and meditation to treat my anxiety and depression. It has helped A LOT!
  • CatherineHillin
    CatherineHillin Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm Kourtney! I have used MFP before to
    Lose weight and it does work! Not sure exactly
    How I could stand to count calories for ever but I'm hoping to train my brain and my
    Body to just know when to stop eating and know when I am truly hungry or I have had enough. I've had depression ever since I was very little but diagnosed for it by the time I was 7. It's been treated but I definitely went through a rough time growing up. I am a mom now at age 23. I love my baby girl more than anything and I want to show her how to live and love a healthy life style. I am also vegan and have been since 2010! It's a great life style as long as you don't consume the vegan junk food which is everywhere!!! I now only consume what would benefit my body. I also take medication for my depression but I also practice yoga and meditation to treat my anxiety and depression. It has helped A LOT!

I love yoga too! :D Tell me more about this vegan junk food...I did not think that was a real thing....
  • Remilia_Scarlet
    Remilia_Scarlet Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Dani. Life's been pretty low since I was hospitalized a few months ago, but I hope I can find something that helps. I'm not brave enough to talk to my IRL friends about my mental health, so I want to try to find other communities.
  • CatherineHillin
    CatherineHillin Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Dani. Life's been pretty low since I was hospitalized a few months ago, but I hope I can find something that helps. I'm not brave enough to talk to my IRL friends about my mental health, so I want to try to find other communities.

That's exactly what we are here for! Friend me if you like and you can talk to me anytime, okay? I used to work at a mental hospital so no judgment whatsoever (also a regular hospital if that's what you meant instead).
  • pasobeads
    pasobeads Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi Dani, I've been there and done that. Please use us in the group for support. We all understand the challenges of depression.
  • pasobeads
    pasobeads Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I wanted to respond to both Dani and Remilla_ScarletPerhaps I should have noticed which post I just responsed to.
  • istarith
    istarith Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody; I'm Sarah! I'm 26 and married; I've used MFP before (with some success), but I kind of ate myself comfortable and want to lose that extra comfy couple dozen pounds. The last time I lost a lot of weight (+50lbs), I lost it in a matter of months by basically not eating from stress. It still takes a lot to convince myself that I did NOT in fact look great (I mean, I was thinner, which was lovely, but unhealthy).

I'm really nervous about dieting and losing weight because it's extremely easy for me to take it WAY overboard... I know of course that you shouldn't look at skipping a meal as a success, or look at water as a meal, but I look in the mirror and just see someone who would be so lovely "if". I've struggled my entire life with anxiety and depression that rears its ugly, insurmountable head a couple times a year. As an adult, I've still resorted to self harm to deal with the overwhelming fear/sadness I'm known to feel; and I have to explain to my husband how it's not any sort of "attempt," but a coping mechanism for despair. Which feels so shameful and embarrassing, you know? I've never been diagnosed, mainly because I've felt that it's not a I-can't-live-my-day-to-day thing, it's a few-times-a-year-it-just-gets-that-bad thing.

I desperately want to lose 50lbs in a healthy, structured way. It's really important to me to know that I can treat myself well and be healthy! I'm exercising and dieting currently, but already I see myself slipping around on the raft: 900 calorie days here and there, water meals, etc. Any well wishes would be great; I'm too embarrassed to tell friends/family "Heck yes I'm losing weight, and it's because I'm not eating again! *thumbs up*" But what experts say is true, I found out: Exercise helps with anxiety. Who knew? I always thought they were just blowing it out their end! :smile:
  • 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    hello all, I'm Myra. I have "treatment resistant" depression and i've been fighting this "illness" for all of my adult life. it waxes and wanes ;)
    I'm almost 47, i have 4 children aged: 22, 20, 11, and 9. older two are from a previous marriage. I lost a little over ten pounds using MFP this year, but have gained 4 back in the last week (!!!!!)
    I typically rely on vigorous exercise as my best anti-depressant, but I am in physical therapy for hip pain and have been put on the bench. :(
    anyway, i've been posting on a MFP thread about depression/weight loss and really enjoying the wonderful folks i've met, and then i stumbled upon this "group" and thought i'd give it a go.

I must admit that i found Sarah's last sentence funny :) i'm glad exercise helps you. it helps me tremendously, when i can do it, but i've found it does not help everyone. we are LUCKY :) (stay uninjured!)
  • sylviekparris
    sylviekparris Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi. Ive had depression off and on my entire adult life, back on again. I had been taking Lexapro, and was just switched to Cymbalta. I also have hypothyroidism, and spine, back, knee and shoulder issues...(if its a major joint, its flocked).

I had knee surgery this past April. I'd been slowly gaining weight for awhile with zero ability to lose anything but my car keys, cell phone and my stapler at work. The surgery helped me pack on a quick 20. My wardrobe includes elastic waist bands and sports bras (I've never found a bra to fit, even when I was skinny), My left foot rejects all things cute shoes, and I'm sporting an over due food baby.

Yes I use humor to deal with life, chronic pain, stress, and the fatigue...which can be nearly crushing. The more tired and stressed, the blacker my humor. I have been working to gain stanima to exercise, and I have to be careful. I can look cross-eyed and I hurt for three days. I am looking for ideas, motivation, support, and the secret to how to stop slathering on the ounces other people seem to lose.
  • 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Hi Sylvie. Here's hoping that Cymbalta has the pain-relieving effect on you that i have read/heard about (in addition to relieving your depression)!!!
    i'm good for being supportive, you are welcome to add me as a friend. ideas, motivation and secrets aren't my forte ;) BUT i do enjoy some dark sarcasm!
    on a serious note, the most helpful tool for managing weight i have found since entering mid-forties is: log every single bite in MFP. i'm a pretty good eye-baller, so i'm not a faithful food weigh-er. but i do find measuring cups useful. OH, and much to my husband's chagrin, my all time favorite things to wear include elastic banded shorts and a sports bra ;)
  • sylviekparris
    sylviekparris Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    im going to call my pharmacist today. I suspect Cymbalta cues the hamster wheel running nocternal squirrels that reside in my brain. Emotionally I feel better, sleep? What's that?
  • EatYrMeds
    EatYrMeds Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My name is Dee. I am a 38 yr old runner who recently lost 20 lbs. Yeah! However, I had to go back on my bipolar meds of zoloft and lamictal. I am doing my best to keep up the weight loss..only 6 lbs to go! But really afraid. Any real life testimonies to help me be both fit and not depressed?
  • cwesselsloan
    cwesselsloan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi all
    I'm Chelsea and I've been on depression meds since I was 19 (44 now). I have never had weight management issues due to depression meds. In 2014 I made a terrible decision to change to a new med hoping for a little boost. I worked with my primary doc's med practice (mistake) and was put on Cymbalta. I quickly gained 15 pounds that try as I might, I can not seem to lose. I've long since gotten off of awful Cymbalta and am now on Welbutrin, which is supposed to be "weight neutral". I have mild thyroid condition that is managed with other meds that don't affect weight. I don't have extreme cravings and I don't binge. I am starting up again on MFP for the third time in several months and now using this community aspect in hopes of some help. I carefully track my food and I exercise at least five if not six days each week with a combo of HIIT and HI dance classes as well as weekly Pure Barre. I've read about a Seratonin Diet as well as a version of the Paleo Diet that are said to be helpful--they are polar opposites of each other. Anyone have any ideas? I've been working on this weight loss for a solid year without a single pound lost.
  • suemyers56
    suemyers56 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Sue... I have major depression disorder. Been on meds for it since 2015. I have good days and bad. I need a friend to talk and become great friends with.