Amino acids

Options
Ariadnula
Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
Do you take them? My trainer seems convinced they're essential when lifting big weights, but I'm generally anti supplements. Thoughts?

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I'm not much into supplements as I barely remember to take any vitamins a couple times a week, let alone anything else. The main thing I "use" is protein powder for shakes (I have non-whey kinds) and the occasion protein bar to help reach my protein goals but can't have the bars often cause they are dairy based as I have an allergy(not just an intolerance or lactose issue).

I do have a pre-workout. I got is free with my protein powder purchase. I've used it twice in the last month. Since I often work out late at night, I don't use it then cause need sleep too. I need to try it a little more often though to really evaluate it but just don't remember or feel the need much. I drink the occasional energy drink before long runs and that's all.

So ramble equals this answer: No, I don't take amino acids. I also don't have a trainer, so haven't had a push for anything. I know some take them, mentioned on their youtube videos and such, but not something I've ventured towards at this time.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    No. Amino acids are just the building blocks of proteins. If your protein intake is sufficient, don't worry about it. It's mostly broscience.
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    That depends, is the trainer planning on selling them to you or giving you his "exclusive" discount code for the supplement shop? ;) There are only a few amino acids we have to ingest. The rest can be made by your body from other amino acids. Just get your ~0.8 g/lb of protein a day and call it a day.
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    If you need a little extra help with recovery you can go down that road and take amino acids.

I don't take them. I get pretty beaten up on my rest days and I get by fine. The only suppliments I take is a multi vitamin during my period, the odd fish oil when I remember, and I do protein powder/fitness fiber as I have a hard time eating that much protein and fiber.
  • Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Ah, that's a relief to hear - I eat pretty well, I think, so I didn't feel I needed something extra. Though he wasn't trying to sell anything, just very keen on them himself :-)

I'll bear it in mind if I do struggle later.
    Thanks!
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I like sipping on them during my workout. And they also offset my hunger a bit on the days where I fast or try not to eat too much. I like the taste of the ones I got. I don't know that they really actually make much of a difference, but when lifting on an empty stomach, they've gotten me through some hefty hungry spells, so there is that.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    krokador wrote: »
    I like sipping on them during my workout. And they also offset my hunger a bit on the days where I fast or try not to eat too much. I like the taste of the ones I got. I don't know that they really actually make much of a difference, but when lifting on an empty stomach, they've gotten me through some hefty hungry spells, so there is that.

just gonna say that i opened this thread, and by the time i was reading this post, i'd forgotten which one it was. i thought you were talking about lifting belts here. i was thinking 'now, THAT is hungry.'

:D

• bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of evidence that BCAAs can help spare muscle and boost recovery.

I personally find they really help with DOMS, but I don't think they're essential, if you're getting adequate protein.