newly diagnosed with hypertension-freaked out!

Options
upsidedownpear
upsidedownpear Posts: 101 Member
Hi all,
I am dealing with something I never expected I had. I have hypertension. I have probably had it for a long time now. I just didn't know. I've been otherwise a healthy person without having to take any medication for anything. When I started my new job, I got my BP checked as a part of new employee health screening and I was bowled. It was 163/97. The readings since then in about 10 days time have been 147/92, 173/95 and 165/104. I can't stop thinking about this and I am really really scared. I have been asked to monitor it a few more times and then go to the doctor. Its the emotional part of it that I seem to have a hard time dealing with. Since the time I'm diagnosed, I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. I even feel a little bit of tingling in my left arm and discomfort on my left side which I have no idea if is in my mind or what. Because its only started since I've learned that I have HT. Last two months, on several occasions I've had severe headaches and nausea and I thought it was just allergies and motion sickness and I am pretty sure now what the reason was. I'm a very high stressed person, unfortunately. I was treated for depression but nothing worked. I want to know if there is anyone who was able to come off the hypertension medication because they lost weight or adopted a healthier lifestyle. I know these two things dont ensure taking off the medication but are there any success stories that I can derive some hope from? I really don't want to start taking drugs for this. I am only 29. Recently married and planning to start a family soon. I am sorry but I am freaking out here and could really use some support!! :(

Replies

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I was never on medication, but moving in that direction. I was pre-hypertensive with bp typically around 138/92. Here's what I did. Lost 40+ pounds and my bp definitely came down. But the biggest drops came from limiting sodium to around 1500 mg/day and boosting potassium (lots of fresh fruits and veggies, potatoes, salmon and beans) AND from doing regular HIIT cardio (35 minute sessions) on the elliptical.

My bp this morning was 107/72.

Buy a blood pressure monitor if you don't have one and start tracking it at home. To me, that's step #1.

High blood pressure is very serious. Sometimes it isn't possible to reduce it to within normal limits by just diet and exercise alone, but sometimes it is.

Best wishes!
  • CrimsonNBlues
    CrimsonNBlues Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have had hypertension ever since my late teens. For me it was from a genetic predisposition combined with an unhealthy lifestyle. My doctors scared the crap out of me, saying I might have a stroke at 30 if I didn't get it under control, so I understand it's really scary!

I did take meds for a while, but the last time I exercised consistently, about 3 years ago, even when I was still really overweight, my BP dropped around 120-130/60-70. I was eating well (cooking alllll my own food. NOTHING premade because everything has salt in in, and only drinking water) and doing cardio for an hour a day. When I stopped exercising, it went up again. So it is possible! For me it was really difficult, but I know a lot of people who found it much easier when they just made sure to avoid salt as much as possible and exercise consistently.
  • penguinattackstudios
    penguinattackstudios Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My husband has hypertension and he was able to drop his BP drastically by limiting his sodium, increasing his potassium, and drinking LOTS of water. If you're overweight, losing some extra pounds help tons. If you need any help with finding low-sodium products let us know, we're more than willing to help!
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I find that ANY salt raises my blood pressure 30 points. I suggest you try stopping all salt intake. That means no canned foods and no packaged meats. When you eat out ask them to put no or very little salt in the food. I have a chronic disease that causes the hypertension and so I take a very low dose of meds. I once took a more normal dose (higher) and I passes out and fell down a flight of stairs. Too low is not great either. I think that you need to go to the doctor, I don't think you should wait too long to make an appointment especially since you are so anxious about your health. It is a fairly simple fix with diet change and possibly medication.
  • cl00bie
    cl00bie Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I want to know if there is anyone who was able to come off the hypertension medication because they lost weight or adopted a healthier lifestyle. I know these two things dont ensure taking off the medication but are there any success stories that I can derive some hope from?

I have been living with hypertension for over 10 years. I was a little freaked out when I first learned about it. My doctor sent in the young partner to break the news that I'd have to go on medication. I fought the idea of pills because I really don't like to take any kind of drugs.

I am currently on 4 different HT medicines (each one a low dose to whack each aspect of hypertension). I would like to get off these medicines too. I have a big hard belly, so I figure it's smooshing my organs and contributing to the hypertension. I have just found MFP three days ago, and I have been logging like crazy. I bought a fitbit one and it should arrive today to help me track activity. The nice part about calorie logging is that at the end of the evening I can see where I am with relation to my goal, and it makes it easy for me to stop eating for the night.

Good luck to you, I'll try and keep you posted as to my progress. You keep us posted as to yours. :)
  • levelene2
    levelene2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just want to offer my support. I've been on BP meds since I was diagnosed in 2008 at the age of 24. I did go on meds right away, and it controlled my BP pretty well. Throughout that year, I lost 40 pounds but my BP did not seem to move much. My doc told me that I was genetically disposed to it, and keep working out and eating right, but it may stay high regardless.

Even though I was a bit younger when diagnosed, I was at a similar time in my life according to life events. I was diagnosed around the same time I got married. I have one daughter who is 1.5 now. I was on blood pressure meds through my pregnancy, and I had a very healthy pregnancy and a very healthy baby. Not all meds are baby safe, but there are a couple that are safe. Towards the end of my pregnancy, they monitored the baby with a non-stress test once a week (maybe the last month) -- they just hooked up the monitor to my belly to make sure she was staying active in there, and I was induced a week early.

Getting diagnosed with hypertension can be scary, and you should do everything you can to develop and continue a healthy lifestyle. With that said, it is possible to live a normal life AND have a healthy pregnancy while on medication. It isn't the end of the world. Feel free to add me as a friend --- especially since I've been through the process of pregnancy on meds. :)
  • levelene2
    levelene2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    One more thing - I guess I just assumed you were a woman based on talking about starting a family. You never really said that....ha! If you happen to be a guy, sorry ---- and just ignore the pregnancy talk!
  • 4michellelong
    4michellelong Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry that you are feeling so afraid. I have hypertension that is controlled by medication and diet control. I get plenty of potassium in as much as I can. Coconut water is a super excellent source without all of the added sodium. Watching out for all of the salt and eating out all of the time can really add fuel to the fire.

Please just follow these instructions:

Stop.....
    Close your eyes.....
    and breathe slowly and deeply. Things will be OK. :smile:

Stress only makes things worse. Find any opportunity you can to laugh and/or vent your frustrations. Listen to your doctor and take all the measures you can to learn your body and what it is telling you.
  • angelcop74
    angelcop74 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Please please please go to a doctor!
    I have been on meds since spring and have lost 25lbs and my doctor is going to start weening me off.. it can happen, but you HAVE TO get it under control first.
    My mom just had a stroke from high blood pressure she didnt even know she had.
    This is a very serious issue.
  • Crikpaw
    Crikpaw Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You are doomed.

Just kidding. Check out: www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/hbp/dash/new_dash.pdf

I read it and started following the guidelines. I didn't buy the Dash "diet" book since this seemed to be working. I started out with my Average BP as 162 over 118. Im down 92 pounds and my average BP is 114 over 72. I do not take medication.

Friend me if you like. You can do this and be healthier for it.

Good luck.
  • roycn
    roycn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I can relate to what you are going through, I myself am a bit worried. I have been on medications for three years now. I am getting married in a few months and we wanted to start a family as well. I spoke to my doctor who said that I could go on medication that would be relatively (which makes me nervous) safe for the baby. Unfortunately, when I was in the doctors office my BP was 140/101, she looked through my chart and realized that it was high my last visit as well. She explained to me now is not the time to try to get pregnant as it could be very dangerous until I get this under control. Meanwhile, I have put myself on a life style change, revamping my diet to include minimal processed foods and trying to exercise 45-60 minutes a day. I'm hoping with weight loss and a more healthy lifestyle that I will be able to have the family I hoped for.
  • ckdprevent
    ckdprevent Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I agree. The DASH.gov site gives you everything to get started. I'm on hypertension meds, but exercise/low salt gets down fast. My blood pressure is uncontrolled on meds alone, but when I exercise daily and keep my salt low my bp is good. My plan is to lose weight maintaining healthy low salt/low carb eating and exercising daily and hope to one day get off my bp or a lesser strength med.
  • JoeyB56
    JoeyB56 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I want to give you some encouragement.

I worked out for a little over a year and watched what I ate. I lost about 20 pounds, and I worked out (like treadmill running) 3 or 4 times a week.
    At my next doctors appointment, I had one HT med reduced and the other removed. I was even able to reduce my cholesterol med

So yes, it is possible to get off or at least reduce meds if you work at it
    I know when I first started the meds, I had some reactions to them. The worst was sometimes feeling dizzy. As my body got used to the meds (months for me) these reactions eased and eventually went away. But it is one reason I'd like to reduce or eliminate my meds further.

Sorry for rambling.
    I really just wanted to encourage you that although it may take time, it is possible.