Depression Perspective

Options
pasobeads
pasobeads Posts: 19 Member
I maybe an older group member (60+ yrs). My 1st diagnosis was 50 years ago. Something I have learned is that by by sharing whether with strangers, family, friends or co-workers your issues helps.
I personally have not shared with anyone outside of a small number of family members. However, joining with others who share parts or all of your story moves you from "suffering" with depression to "living" with depression or other mental health issues.
We are not different from someone with diabetes, back pain or many other ailments.
We are addressing our problems with acknowlegement, perhaps therapy perhaps medications.
Sure we all have days when compliance with whatever helps, meds, seeing other people or getting out of bed is out of the question. I have spent days at times where brushing my teeth was the most I could do. IT'S OK!!!!
No-one ever gets it right all the time.
Changing perspective from "suffering" to "living" the way I am also lets me try to shift other perspectives from "OMG I have to Excercise" to " I Get to excercise".

Does this work? Sometimes, but that's enough for me.

Replies

• CatherineHillin
    CatherineHillin Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    pasobeads wrote: »
    I maybe an older group member (60+ yrs). My 1st diagnosis was 50 years ago. Something I have learned is that by by sharing whether with strangers, family, friends or co-workers your issues helps.
    I personally have not shared with anyone outside of a small number of family members. However, joining with others who share parts or all of your story moves you from "suffering" with depression to "living" with depression or other mental health issues.
    We are not different from someone with diabetes, back pain or many other ailments.
    We are addressing our problems with acknowlegement, perhaps therapy perhaps medications.
    Sure we all have days when compliance with whatever helps, meds, seeing other people or getting out of bed is out of the question. I have spent days at times where brushing my teeth was the most I could do. IT'S OK!!!!
    No-one ever gets it right all the time.
    Changing perspective from "suffering" to "living" the way I am also lets me try to shift other perspectives from "OMG I have to Excercise" to " I Get to excercise".

Does this work? Sometimes, but that's enough for me.

Well said! Thank you very much!
  • pasobeads
    Options
    Thanks, you've made my day
  • 19gabriela01
    19gabriela01 Posts: 2,090 Member
    Options
    Some days are good. So good that i would think nothing is actually wrong. Yesterday I had an appointment with a psychiatrist. I went because my mom insisted. But i didn't really tell anything to the doctor. At night then I cut myself again. And now I am sitting in the hospital with tears and without hope.
  • pasobeads
    Options
    I'm so sorry you're in the hospital. Big ups and then to crash into severe depression are hard for people without depression to understand completely or at all. It is hard to share those feelings with friends or Dr.'s. Rememember that this board has a lot of understanding members.

If you want to send me a friends request I'll do my best to be here for you. This time of year makes everything harder too. Please know you are Not Alone. If "friending" feels like too much commitment use this board to say those things you need to. I'll be thinking of you.
    Take care.